Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Per in Denmark (and other tapers)

Posted by Raleigh on 8/15/99 at 23:19 (009788)

My physical therapist taped my feet for support in much the same manner you described. She said that I do twist my feet as I walk, causing torsion on the plantar fascia. I wore the tape for a while, it was ok, but my question is, how long do you leave one application on? How does this not make the skin on your feet extremely nasty? I have ecxema on my feet (and legs and hands) and I worry about using the ' tape'. Hope things are working for you!

Re: To Per in Denmark (and other tapers)

Per, DK on 8/16/99 at 15:49 (009805)

Dear Raleigh
I am afraid this is a little out of my competence area, but I can tell you about my personal experiences:

About how long to apply the tape at a time:
My pf had been debilitating for the last couple of months, else on/off for 3 years. I have had taping induced excema before so I use taping with caution. I only use it once or at most twice a day when the majority of my walking occurs. I try never to wear it more than 2 hours at a time. If you already have the rash, My experience - unfortunately - is that I have to skip taping altogether for a period until the skin has 'forgot' how much it hates the tape. Try alternative tapes, but my guess is that much of the skin-irritation comes from the moisture not being able to escape.

About your foot twisting when you walk:
My taping instructions ONLY work for heelpad-atrophy ('punctured heel-fat-cells) not against twisting of the foot (or ankle) when you walk! So your physical therapist doesn´t make sense as far as I can see. The good news might be that a good orthotic should be able to work against foot-twisting, so taping might not be neccessary. Try finding a orhtopædic-insole manufacturer with a step-plate, so your insole can be molded exactly to fit the way your foot works. I´ll try to pump my orhopædic-maker for info on the stepplate, so you may be able to find one who has this in your area via the stepplate manufacturer. According to my source, the timescale for being cured by a good orthotic insole is a little longer (might take 3-4 months so have patience). But 3-4 month still sounds better than forever. I really hope that any of the things I have said will be able to help you in some way. Good luck.

Love: Per

Re: To Per in Denmark (and other tapers)

Per, DK on 8/16/99 at 15:49 (009805)

Dear Raleigh
I am afraid this is a little out of my competence area, but I can tell you about my personal experiences:

About how long to apply the tape at a time:
My pf had been debilitating for the last couple of months, else on/off for 3 years. I have had taping induced excema before so I use taping with caution. I only use it once or at most twice a day when the majority of my walking occurs. I try never to wear it more than 2 hours at a time. If you already have the rash, My experience - unfortunately - is that I have to skip taping altogether for a period until the skin has 'forgot' how much it hates the tape. Try alternative tapes, but my guess is that much of the skin-irritation comes from the moisture not being able to escape.

About your foot twisting when you walk:
My taping instructions ONLY work for heelpad-atrophy ('punctured heel-fat-cells) not against twisting of the foot (or ankle) when you walk! So your physical therapist doesn´t make sense as far as I can see. The good news might be that a good orthotic should be able to work against foot-twisting, so taping might not be neccessary. Try finding a orhtopædic-insole manufacturer with a step-plate, so your insole can be molded exactly to fit the way your foot works. I´ll try to pump my orhopædic-maker for info on the stepplate, so you may be able to find one who has this in your area via the stepplate manufacturer. According to my source, the timescale for being cured by a good orthotic insole is a little longer (might take 3-4 months so have patience). But 3-4 month still sounds better than forever. I really hope that any of the things I have said will be able to help you in some way. Good luck.

Love: Per