Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walk Through the Pain??

Posted by Rick on 8/16/99 at 14:14 (009802)

Suffered from PF for about a year w/all the treatments and no relief. Finally my DR. says if I can deal with the pain to go ahead with hiking again. Just use ice after a hike and buy better hiking boots. I heard (here) that this condition could be debilitating. He doesn't seem to think so. Anyone have experiences that prove him right. Pain is not a problem after a year I'm kinda used to it.

Re: Walk Through the Pain??

Yoko on 8/16/99 at 15:10 (009803)

While you got used to w/pain, did you ever hike?
I am a casual runner w/heel spur(left). I also tried all treatments. After full one month complete rest, and treatments, pain was very much diminished (but you know pain is still there)Dr. didn't say anything, and simply I can't wait. I did half marathon last week.
I have taped, w/good shoes w/custom made orthotis.
Guess what pain was back completely at mile 6 even pain was doubled!!than before, morevover because of I was lame in the left leg last 3miles, I gave hure pressure on my right knee.
Now, I am having right knee, entire lower back, and heel spur
problems.

Rick on 8/16/99 at 15:35 (009804)

My pain is not like that. I only experience intense pain after I rest (mornings or long meetings). During activity my feet seem to be fine. The damage is definately tendon not spurs.

Andrea on 8/16/99 at 17:59 (009807)

There comes a point to which pf takes over your emotional well being as the pain dominates your life. I have also suffered for a year now with the pain but I will tell you since I started running 2-3X/week over the las month, my outlook on life has improved tremendously. (I was a marathon runner for over 8 years when I developed this so 3 miles 2-3X a week is small for me). My Dr. also said if I could deal with the pain to go ahead--and I did. I am no worse, but I am also no better physically--mentally I am a changed person. The minute I get home from a run I stretch then ice. My advice, start slow don't do a ten mile hike right off the bat, don't over do it. But try it!

pete on 8/16/99 at 21:19 (009814)

you can work through the pain for a while...but because the problem is still there...you're stressing out your foot, which will likely result in stretching of your tendons in the feet...resulting in longer/wider feet, and continuing worsening of your pronation. this is a gradual process, but it will likely happen. also, as one of the other people mentioned, because your probably not amulating in a biomechanically correct fashion (this can be very subtle), the longer you have the condition, the more likely it is your knees, hip, or back may start to give you trouble...

Roberta on 8/17/99 at 12:12 (009827)

Pay attention to how you feel the next day. If the pain is worse the day after activity STOP. I found I was ok walking or running and even afterwards, but the next day.....

It seems to me that sometimes it is okay to work through PF and sometimes you just need to stop. I have had both varieties. Just listen to your foot and be careful. Orthotics help a lot with walking, hiking uphill is hard, uphill bothered my foot a lot!

karen on 8/17/99 at 17:23 (009831)

Boy, I don't see how you can walk or run...I'm in constant pain every time I'm on my heel..I teach and it's terrible I just come home and sit...I'm doing stretches and taking celebrix hopefully will get an orthodic in a month...walking NO WAY

john a on 8/18/99 at 08:24 (009844)

I'm in the same predicament you are. It seems there are two classes of people with PF: those who lead fairly normal, though painful, lives, and those whose PF is so painful to them that they have had to cease virtually all activity involving being on your feet. I've had PF in both feet, with a heel spur in one, for five months now. For the first 6 weeks, I basically suffered incredulously through the days not knowing what was happening to me, not knowing how to make it better, and cried (inwardly! hey, I'm a guy) myself to sleep at night as the burning pain from merely preparing for bed slowly subsided. Now , I'm wearing rigid orthotics with good arch support and a lightly padded channel for my heel, stuck in New Balance 800 walking shoes. This seems to be helping, but not much. I still dread grocery shopping, and showering barefoot is barely bearable. Standing for more than five minutes? MAYBE. Walking more than an eighth of a mile? HELL NO. Running, hiking, steperobics? Can you say INCONCEIVABLE? I'd like to be able to do more stretching, but I have achilles tendinitis, possibly due to the rigid orthotics. (My podiatrist ain't worth a damn, by the way, need to see someone else.)

I don't presume to know that my pain is worse than others', but it sure feels like it. Maybe I'm just a wuss...

JaneK on 8/18/99 at 08:41 (009845)

Hang in there, John. I've been reading all the posts about running, aerobics etc. and felt the same way as you. After reading this board for about a month, I realized that Time, Stretching and Orthotics were the answer...which helps the most, I'm not sure. I am much better than I was 8 months ago, even though the pain is still with me, just different than the acute pain. I remember crawling around the floor when I watched my 18 month old grandson hoping that he would stay put and I didn't have to get up and chase him!!!! I am 52 yrs old and in Dec of 98 and for many years previous to that, I fitness walked 3-4 miles 5x each week plus hiking on weekends and biking. The winter was awful and very depressing not being able to get out and walk, I dreaded even walking when I grocercy shopped. I am a nurse and have to be on my feet 3 days a week too. Finding this board has helped just knowing we're not alone. Keep your chin up.

Roberta on 8/19/99 at 10:49 (009903)

It took me a long time to get there. I have months during which I would't think about going barefoot. Read the posts about simple carbs and try that. It worked for me - among many other things.

Mary on 8/19/99 at 21:15 (009942)

After 1 1/2 years of PF, I started to exercise very slowly. I wear New Balance 876 tennis shoes with blue Birkenstock inserts. I started biking for 5 minutes, 4 times a week and gradually increased the time. After 7 months, I can now bike 35 minutes pain free during and after.

About a month after I started biking, I added treadmill walking, starting at 2 minutes, 4 times a week. Now I can walk 1.5 miles at a speed of 3.5 mph. This is akin to climbing Mount Everest for me!

I still have PF, but exercising has given me hope that I will be able to overcome this condition. When I first started exercising, it was very painful and hardly seemed worth the effort, but by taking things very slowly and steadily, it has paid off.

diane f. on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010041)

John, get a pair of waterproof sandals to wear in the shower, they can help alot, could not stand in the tub without alot of pain (old claw type, hard and cold as stone. I found a pair in CVS, they are surpose to help your feet with pressure points or sometime like that, works great in shower at least, can't remember the name and not on them. Find a pair that works for you, good time right now with them getting rid of them with summer ending, so should be able to get a pair cheap. Good luck and keep the hope up, I was so bad at one point was thinking of a wheelchair but am now walking almost normal most of the time.
There are many people in here to surport you through this, talk to us and keep reading, you are not alone! Good Luck!

Re: Walk Through the Pain??-to John

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010271)

John,
No, you don't sound like a wuss. I feel very much the same way and my Doctors do not seem to take this seriously enough. My entire life has changed and I can not do anything. I have quit work, and must pace myself just to be the housewife and any kind of leisure does not appeal to me because of the pain. This last week I have been just 'walking through the pain' in order to get my house (we live in my husband's) cleaned up and ready to sell. I do not think this works for me because now I have a constant ache in the bottom of the right foot which occassionally feels like hot knives stabbing me.and keeps me from sleeping.
Also I must sit down after a shower before I can even finish dressing because I hurt and I do not take long showers.

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010275)

Thanks for replying, vicki. I now know I am not alone in this world of pain. And though that is somewhat comforting, it is also rather sad that there are so many others here. I'll keep reading and contributing when I can.

I have noticed that If I am forced to walk too much one day for whatever reason (need to do grocery shopping, the laundry, etc.), that the next day my feet usually feel somewhat better. Perhaps this is because it forces the fasciia to stretch out. But the better feeling doesn't last beyond a day or two.

As several others have already said here, I too think that good footwear, properly made orthotics, stretching and time are the only 'ultimate cure'. I have yet to try the low-carb diet, but it is seductive seeing the pain relief many have apparently had from it. I'll probably experiment with it at some point.

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010276)

Thanks for the advice diane. I tried a pair of birkis a coupla months ago but didn't like them (wrong size, wrong shape, don't know). I want to try Teva or Chaco sandals too sometime. (PS - I bet we've all considered a wheelchair at some point! ;-)

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010277)

Thanks for commiserating Jane :-) Luckily, (I guess), I have no family to tend to, and my job allows me to sit all day with my shoes off and my feet up on a second chair. 'Orthotics, Stretching and Time' it seems to be for me too. I'd prefer not to take any drugs, and cortisone shots and surgery will be only a very last resort if I see no improvement in a year or two. I dearly hope I don't arrive at the point where many who are worse off than me already are. Here's to hope!

Yoko on 8/16/99 at 15:10 (009803)

While you got used to w/pain, did you ever hike?
I am a casual runner w/heel spur(left). I also tried all treatments. After full one month complete rest, and treatments, pain was very much diminished (but you know pain is still there)Dr. didn't say anything, and simply I can't wait. I did half marathon last week.
I have taped, w/good shoes w/custom made orthotis.
Guess what pain was back completely at mile 6 even pain was doubled!!than before, morevover because of I was lame in the left leg last 3miles, I gave hure pressure on my right knee.
Now, I am having right knee, entire lower back, and heel spur
problems.

Rick on 8/16/99 at 15:35 (009804)

My pain is not like that. I only experience intense pain after I rest (mornings or long meetings). During activity my feet seem to be fine. The damage is definately tendon not spurs.

Andrea on 8/16/99 at 17:59 (009807)

There comes a point to which pf takes over your emotional well being as the pain dominates your life. I have also suffered for a year now with the pain but I will tell you since I started running 2-3X/week over the las month, my outlook on life has improved tremendously. (I was a marathon runner for over 8 years when I developed this so 3 miles 2-3X a week is small for me). My Dr. also said if I could deal with the pain to go ahead--and I did. I am no worse, but I am also no better physically--mentally I am a changed person. The minute I get home from a run I stretch then ice. My advice, start slow don't do a ten mile hike right off the bat, don't over do it. But try it!

pete on 8/16/99 at 21:19 (009814)

you can work through the pain for a while...but because the problem is still there...you're stressing out your foot, which will likely result in stretching of your tendons in the feet...resulting in longer/wider feet, and continuing worsening of your pronation. this is a gradual process, but it will likely happen. also, as one of the other people mentioned, because your probably not amulating in a biomechanically correct fashion (this can be very subtle), the longer you have the condition, the more likely it is your knees, hip, or back may start to give you trouble...

Roberta on 8/17/99 at 12:12 (009827)

Pay attention to how you feel the next day. If the pain is worse the day after activity STOP. I found I was ok walking or running and even afterwards, but the next day.....

It seems to me that sometimes it is okay to work through PF and sometimes you just need to stop. I have had both varieties. Just listen to your foot and be careful. Orthotics help a lot with walking, hiking uphill is hard, uphill bothered my foot a lot!

karen on 8/17/99 at 17:23 (009831)

Boy, I don't see how you can walk or run...I'm in constant pain every time I'm on my heel..I teach and it's terrible I just come home and sit...I'm doing stretches and taking celebrix hopefully will get an orthodic in a month...walking NO WAY

john a on 8/18/99 at 08:24 (009844)

I'm in the same predicament you are. It seems there are two classes of people with PF: those who lead fairly normal, though painful, lives, and those whose PF is so painful to them that they have had to cease virtually all activity involving being on your feet. I've had PF in both feet, with a heel spur in one, for five months now. For the first 6 weeks, I basically suffered incredulously through the days not knowing what was happening to me, not knowing how to make it better, and cried (inwardly! hey, I'm a guy) myself to sleep at night as the burning pain from merely preparing for bed slowly subsided. Now , I'm wearing rigid orthotics with good arch support and a lightly padded channel for my heel, stuck in New Balance 800 walking shoes. This seems to be helping, but not much. I still dread grocery shopping, and showering barefoot is barely bearable. Standing for more than five minutes? MAYBE. Walking more than an eighth of a mile? HELL NO. Running, hiking, steperobics? Can you say INCONCEIVABLE? I'd like to be able to do more stretching, but I have achilles tendinitis, possibly due to the rigid orthotics. (My podiatrist ain't worth a damn, by the way, need to see someone else.)

I don't presume to know that my pain is worse than others', but it sure feels like it. Maybe I'm just a wuss...

JaneK on 8/18/99 at 08:41 (009845)

Hang in there, John. I've been reading all the posts about running, aerobics etc. and felt the same way as you. After reading this board for about a month, I realized that Time, Stretching and Orthotics were the answer...which helps the most, I'm not sure. I am much better than I was 8 months ago, even though the pain is still with me, just different than the acute pain. I remember crawling around the floor when I watched my 18 month old grandson hoping that he would stay put and I didn't have to get up and chase him!!!! I am 52 yrs old and in Dec of 98 and for many years previous to that, I fitness walked 3-4 miles 5x each week plus hiking on weekends and biking. The winter was awful and very depressing not being able to get out and walk, I dreaded even walking when I grocercy shopped. I am a nurse and have to be on my feet 3 days a week too. Finding this board has helped just knowing we're not alone. Keep your chin up.

Roberta on 8/19/99 at 10:49 (009903)

It took me a long time to get there. I have months during which I would't think about going barefoot. Read the posts about simple carbs and try that. It worked for me - among many other things.

Mary on 8/19/99 at 21:15 (009942)

After 1 1/2 years of PF, I started to exercise very slowly. I wear New Balance 876 tennis shoes with blue Birkenstock inserts. I started biking for 5 minutes, 4 times a week and gradually increased the time. After 7 months, I can now bike 35 minutes pain free during and after.

About a month after I started biking, I added treadmill walking, starting at 2 minutes, 4 times a week. Now I can walk 1.5 miles at a speed of 3.5 mph. This is akin to climbing Mount Everest for me!

I still have PF, but exercising has given me hope that I will be able to overcome this condition. When I first started exercising, it was very painful and hardly seemed worth the effort, but by taking things very slowly and steadily, it has paid off.

diane f. on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010041)

John, get a pair of waterproof sandals to wear in the shower, they can help alot, could not stand in the tub without alot of pain (old claw type, hard and cold as stone. I found a pair in CVS, they are surpose to help your feet with pressure points or sometime like that, works great in shower at least, can't remember the name and not on them. Find a pair that works for you, good time right now with them getting rid of them with summer ending, so should be able to get a pair cheap. Good luck and keep the hope up, I was so bad at one point was thinking of a wheelchair but am now walking almost normal most of the time.
There are many people in here to surport you through this, talk to us and keep reading, you are not alone! Good Luck!

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010271)

John,
No, you don't sound like a wuss. I feel very much the same way and my Doctors do not seem to take this seriously enough. My entire life has changed and I can not do anything. I have quit work, and must pace myself just to be the housewife and any kind of leisure does not appeal to me because of the pain. This last week I have been just 'walking through the pain' in order to get my house (we live in my husband's) cleaned up and ready to sell. I do not think this works for me because now I have a constant ache in the bottom of the right foot which occassionally feels like hot knives stabbing me.and keeps me from sleeping.
Also I must sit down after a shower before I can even finish dressing because I hurt and I do not take long showers.

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010275)

Thanks for replying, vicki. I now know I am not alone in this world of pain. And though that is somewhat comforting, it is also rather sad that there are so many others here. I'll keep reading and contributing when I can.

I have noticed that If I am forced to walk too much one day for whatever reason (need to do grocery shopping, the laundry, etc.), that the next day my feet usually feel somewhat better. Perhaps this is because it forces the fasciia to stretch out. But the better feeling doesn't last beyond a day or two.

As several others have already said here, I too think that good footwear, properly made orthotics, stretching and time are the only 'ultimate cure'. I have yet to try the low-carb diet, but it is seductive seeing the pain relief many have apparently had from it. I'll probably experiment with it at some point.

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010276)

Thanks for the advice diane. I tried a pair of birkis a coupla months ago but didn't like them (wrong size, wrong shape, don't know). I want to try Teva or Chaco sandals too sometime. (PS - I bet we've all considered a wheelchair at some point! ;-)

john a on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010277)

Thanks for commiserating Jane :-) Luckily, (I guess), I have no family to tend to, and my job allows me to sit all day with my shoes off and my feet up on a second chair. 'Orthotics, Stretching and Time' it seems to be for me too. I'd prefer not to take any drugs, and cortisone shots and surgery will be only a very last resort if I see no improvement in a year or two. I dearly hope I don't arrive at the point where many who are worse off than me already are. Here's to hope!