Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Disgusted!

Posted by Margot on 8/17/99 at 23:09 (009837)

Last July I had the plantar facia cut on my right foot, 3 mos. after surgery Dr. told me to wait at least 5-6mos. and I would feel like a 'NEW WOMAN', then he suggested therapy for 4 weeks(I limped out of that once a week), he then gave me Celebrex and I still had pain. This past July 22nd, I had the surgery again on the advice of my Dr. and it has been exactly 3+ weeks after, no crutches and stitches out and if I stay on my feet more than 1/2hr at a time, the same, original pain is back again.......I am so disgusted......I really feel like I'm handicapped. I have to look for a job, but, I know that I'd come home in pain everyday right now.......I have to work in an office, but, even there, there is a certain amount of walking involved(copiers, faxes, in and out of different offices, etc). Right now I can only wear Easy Spirit sneakers.....how do I explain this to an employer? I'm afraid that I'm just going to live with this pain in my foot. I almost want to try and get a handicapped sticker for my car, because I feel that I've done all that I could and the pain is very painful. All those with PF know what I mean!

Re: Disgusted!

Trish on 8/18/99 at 11:01 (009847)

I also am looking for a job and have PF in both feet (for 7 yrs.) I totally know what you mean about the footwear at work, etc.I am recently divorced and desperately need $$$ but the feet sure limit what I can do. I have a university degree and have been job hunting for over a year. No luck so far!!! I'm getting really depressed because I am so out of money. Sorry I'm not very encouraging, but do know you're not alone.Keep trying the ideas on this website and maybe you'll find something that will help. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?? Good luck to all!

Jenn on 8/18/99 at 15:46 (009858)

When I was in a cast, I wore a gym shoe on the other foot for 6 weeks and no one gave me a problem. Sometimes I wear gym shoes in the office or I wear my birki clogs. Even with those, I've got heel cups and arch supports stuck in there. People have been very supportive of it. I started this job in January and by March, I had the cast. So people seem to be pretty ok about it. Good luck!

Lee on 8/19/99 at 00:04 (009876)

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not. But I just wanted to tell you it could be worse! You could be a hairstylist with PF. I never get any relief, standing in one place all day, it's torture. Can't change careers because I make great money doing hair. My foot is better now but there were days when I thought I would just lay down and cry. My clients would say ' Oh honey, why dont you go home and rest your foot. Right after you finish my hair!.' People think I just go to work and play with hair all day, nothing to it. Even without foot problems, standing in one place all day is murder on your whole body.
So Please.... Be nice to your hairstylist !!!
Margot... Good luck finding a job, I wouldn't mention the foot thing until after your hired, companies would look at you as a possible future disability claim. Try stretching every time you have to get up from a desk, it might actually help getting up and down. Sometimes I think my body is atrophying from lack of exercise.

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010450)

I promise I will stop complaining about my incredibly boring job, where I sit at a desk looking at a computer all day.... except for occasional strolls to the fax machine or the photocopy room. I'm a secretary but computers took over and the jobs became less interesting than they ever were.

BUT... it makes me think - if you are hunting for an office job, why not try to find an informal environment. I work in post-grad business academic, where nearly everyone is casual, even sometimes scruffy: faculty, admin staff, students, the lot. If someone has a big meeting or important lecture (or job interview!) then the clothes are smarter, but for day to day life, I wear my jeans and my birks and no problem.

So - how about trying academic, charity, arts, architects, hospitals, publishing, theatre, television - there must be all sorts of offices with informal environments. The disadvantage is that you might not be paid as much to bash a keyboard in these places, but my view of the matter is that when I worked for smart-dressing commercial firms I hated those places so much.

I hope this helps. Lots of luck in the search!

jl

Trish on 8/18/99 at 11:01 (009847)

I also am looking for a job and have PF in both feet (for 7 yrs.) I totally know what you mean about the footwear at work, etc.I am recently divorced and desperately need $$$ but the feet sure limit what I can do. I have a university degree and have been job hunting for over a year. No luck so far!!! I'm getting really depressed because I am so out of money. Sorry I'm not very encouraging, but do know you're not alone.Keep trying the ideas on this website and maybe you'll find something that will help. Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me?? Good luck to all!

Jenn on 8/18/99 at 15:46 (009858)

When I was in a cast, I wore a gym shoe on the other foot for 6 weeks and no one gave me a problem. Sometimes I wear gym shoes in the office or I wear my birki clogs. Even with those, I've got heel cups and arch supports stuck in there. People have been very supportive of it. I started this job in January and by March, I had the cast. So people seem to be pretty ok about it. Good luck!

Lee on 8/19/99 at 00:04 (009876)

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not. But I just wanted to tell you it could be worse! You could be a hairstylist with PF. I never get any relief, standing in one place all day, it's torture. Can't change careers because I make great money doing hair. My foot is better now but there were days when I thought I would just lay down and cry. My clients would say ' Oh honey, why dont you go home and rest your foot. Right after you finish my hair!.' People think I just go to work and play with hair all day, nothing to it. Even without foot problems, standing in one place all day is murder on your whole body.
So Please.... Be nice to your hairstylist !!!
Margot... Good luck finding a job, I wouldn't mention the foot thing until after your hired, companies would look at you as a possible future disability claim. Try stretching every time you have to get up from a desk, it might actually help getting up and down. Sometimes I think my body is atrophying from lack of exercise.

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010450)

I promise I will stop complaining about my incredibly boring job, where I sit at a desk looking at a computer all day.... except for occasional strolls to the fax machine or the photocopy room. I'm a secretary but computers took over and the jobs became less interesting than they ever were.

BUT... it makes me think - if you are hunting for an office job, why not try to find an informal environment. I work in post-grad business academic, where nearly everyone is casual, even sometimes scruffy: faculty, admin staff, students, the lot. If someone has a big meeting or important lecture (or job interview!) then the clothes are smarter, but for day to day life, I wear my jeans and my birks and no problem.

So - how about trying academic, charity, arts, architects, hospitals, publishing, theatre, television - there must be all sorts of offices with informal environments. The disadvantage is that you might not be paid as much to bash a keyboard in these places, but my view of the matter is that when I worked for smart-dressing commercial firms I hated those places so much.

I hope this helps. Lots of luck in the search!

jl