Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I can't deal any longer!!!!!

Posted by Sandy on 8/18/99 at 12:21 (009851)

I have been suffering with PF for 3 years now, I am in pain everyday I have custom made orthotics and never go barefoot. I stretch twice a day I take Motrin. I can hardly walk, it feels like the bottom of my heels are swollen. My doctor said there was nothing else he could do for me. I have pain in the back of my heels also. I am so frustrated and depressed I don't know what else to do!!!

Re: I can't deal any longer!!!!!

joan on 8/18/99 at 14:09 (009854)

This is of course just my experience but it's worth telling you because 'who knows?' I have been in general inflammatory pain for over a year (left plantar fasciitis, right shoulder tendonitis). Last week my doctor prescribed a relatively new anti-inflammatory for me (ibuprofen did little in my case). It is called Vioxx (made by Merck) and I am taking 25milligrams once a day. Anyway, it has proved to be a mini-miracle for me--both areas of pain have been reduced by about 75% (my subjective feeling), I am able to do things with my arm that I couldn't do without pain for a year, and my foot is about 90% better during sleeping (it had formerly been waking me up with pain), it is much easier to walk on first thing in the morning, and it loosens up more quickly. Also, it feels a lot better during the day, although there are still a few pf issues to deal with that will take more time. Before that doctor visit last week, I was pretty down, also having suffered a long time and tried a lot. I don't know if I am more surprised or delighted by this turn of events. Anyway, maybe you could ask your doctor about this new drug and give it a shot. I have also heard that it is a lot less irritating to the stomach than a lot of the other drugs. DON'T GIVE UP!!! Something is bound to work for you, sometime, somehow. Meanwhile, treat yourself to something nice to help yourself cope (a little psychological boost never hurts) and keep on plugging. Let me know how you are doing.

Jenn on 8/18/99 at 15:42 (009857)

Don't give up. I had the orthotripsy performed last month and have been posting the results. I have not seen an improvement but they told me it would be another 4 weeks. These things take time. I've had it for 3 years and was a rugby player who has been forced into retirement. I used to run 25 miles a week. I have put on 30 pounds becuase I can't run anymore. I've been depressed and pissed as all hell at the doctors who blame everything on weight or just brush me off. I've been to 5 doctors, had 5 cortizone shots, orthotics, ibuprohen, oral steroids, night splint, a cast, multiple anti-inflammatory, etc,etc .There is a lot of people out here who have the same problem. So hang in there. It will get better. That's what I have to keep telling myself or I will lose my mind!! Let us know how you are doing!

Re: I can't deal any longer!!!!!--Jenn

joan on 8/18/99 at 20:49 (009869)

Gosh--your post sounds like I could've written it! I was a soccer player (I am about to miss my fourth season), and I put on 25 pounds SINCE the injury. I love to run but have not for a year and a half. :o( And yet, I DO believe I will be able to beat this thing. If you read my other post under this heading, I have recently had a pretty major success with Vioxx, a new drug I am taking. I HATE to take drugs but this is so effective, I actually did a little dance today out in the driveway when I was cleaning out my car and a good song came on. I thought such exuberant spontaneous moments were lost to me forever (or at least for a long, long time). I have been on this drug for a total of seven days now. It is not the complete answer but I am grateful for how I am feeling again. And it really backs up your message about not giving up. I think that Ossatron may be in my future, so I'm watching out for your posts. I do feel your frustration in so many ways--the sport, the running, the weight. Though I have resisted it for a long time, I do plan to follow my doctor's advice and begin to cross train. I am not really in love with stationary bikes but I think I need to do something since I have dieted all summer and not lost a single pound. The key for me is exercise. Until I can get to running again, I will begin to do this other stuff. I've gotta get rid of this poundage. I am praying for you to get better and eventually get back to your joys.

joan on 8/18/99 at 14:09 (009854)

This is of course just my experience but it's worth telling you because 'who knows?' I have been in general inflammatory pain for over a year (left plantar fasciitis, right shoulder tendonitis). Last week my doctor prescribed a relatively new anti-inflammatory for me (ibuprofen did little in my case). It is called Vioxx (made by Merck) and I am taking 25milligrams once a day. Anyway, it has proved to be a mini-miracle for me--both areas of pain have been reduced by about 75% (my subjective feeling), I am able to do things with my arm that I couldn't do without pain for a year, and my foot is about 90% better during sleeping (it had formerly been waking me up with pain), it is much easier to walk on first thing in the morning, and it loosens up more quickly. Also, it feels a lot better during the day, although there are still a few pf issues to deal with that will take more time. Before that doctor visit last week, I was pretty down, also having suffered a long time and tried a lot. I don't know if I am more surprised or delighted by this turn of events. Anyway, maybe you could ask your doctor about this new drug and give it a shot. I have also heard that it is a lot less irritating to the stomach than a lot of the other drugs. DON'T GIVE UP!!! Something is bound to work for you, sometime, somehow. Meanwhile, treat yourself to something nice to help yourself cope (a little psychological boost never hurts) and keep on plugging. Let me know how you are doing.

Jenn on 8/18/99 at 15:42 (009857)

Don't give up. I had the orthotripsy performed last month and have been posting the results. I have not seen an improvement but they told me it would be another 4 weeks. These things take time. I've had it for 3 years and was a rugby player who has been forced into retirement. I used to run 25 miles a week. I have put on 30 pounds becuase I can't run anymore. I've been depressed and pissed as all hell at the doctors who blame everything on weight or just brush me off. I've been to 5 doctors, had 5 cortizone shots, orthotics, ibuprohen, oral steroids, night splint, a cast, multiple anti-inflammatory, etc,etc .There is a lot of people out here who have the same problem. So hang in there. It will get better. That's what I have to keep telling myself or I will lose my mind!! Let us know how you are doing!

Re: I can't deal any longer!!!!!--Jenn

joan on 8/18/99 at 20:49 (009869)

Gosh--your post sounds like I could've written it! I was a soccer player (I am about to miss my fourth season), and I put on 25 pounds SINCE the injury. I love to run but have not for a year and a half. :o( And yet, I DO believe I will be able to beat this thing. If you read my other post under this heading, I have recently had a pretty major success with Vioxx, a new drug I am taking. I HATE to take drugs but this is so effective, I actually did a little dance today out in the driveway when I was cleaning out my car and a good song came on. I thought such exuberant spontaneous moments were lost to me forever (or at least for a long, long time). I have been on this drug for a total of seven days now. It is not the complete answer but I am grateful for how I am feeling again. And it really backs up your message about not giving up. I think that Ossatron may be in my future, so I'm watching out for your posts. I do feel your frustration in so many ways--the sport, the running, the weight. Though I have resisted it for a long time, I do plan to follow my doctor's advice and begin to cross train. I am not really in love with stationary bikes but I think I need to do something since I have dieted all summer and not lost a single pound. The key for me is exercise. Until I can get to running again, I will begin to do this other stuff. I've gotta get rid of this poundage. I am praying for you to get better and eventually get back to your joys.