Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Women's shoes for work

Posted by Lou on 8/18/99 at 19:12 (009859)

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have had PF since I jumped off a train last summer (on the FIRST day of my vacation). One concern is what shoes to wear to work. I have been off this summer, so I've been in my Birks all summer. I can wear whatever when I'm walking fromt the parking lot to the car, but when I'm in the office and the classroom I really need a more professional shoe. Any suggestions?

Re: Women's shoes for work

Martha B. on 8/18/99 at 20:23 (009867)

Try Mephistos-www.mephistocentral.com.They are rather $$$$ but have some that are more suitable for dressy look.They will probably send you a catalog with more styles to choose from than the ones pictured.Happy shopping!!

Lee on 8/19/99 at 08:06 (009887)

My pain got so bad at one point I had bedroom slippers on, black fuzzy ones. I work in a hair salon and I'm supposed to look 'trendy'. By the time my pf was full blown I didn't care what anyone thought of my shoes and still don't. I still wear stylish clothes and goofy shoes.
The funny thing is I got more compliments on my Mephistos than any other shoe I've ever worn. Figure that out ! I wear them with everything.
The only other shoes I ever wear to work are my Easy spirit sneakers or Ked stretch with my orthodics in them. If you look in clothing catalogs you will see lots of ads with women wearing sneakers with and without socks. As long as they're new looking and clean I think they look professional and cute. I would like to add that only wearing these two kinds of shoes is hard for me mentally because I'm a shoe freak. Over 150 pairs of shoes and still buying hoping I can wear them soon.

Andrea on 8/19/99 at 08:51 (009893)

I work in a very professional office (suit and ties for men and suits with skirts for the women). On my bad days (most fo the time) I wear my Birks and don't care what anyone thinks. When I have a client come in, I slip on my one pair of dress shoes that my orthotics fit into(but we also sit the majority of the time.) If Birks work for you, I have heard they are coming out with a line of shoes (not sandals) but I have not yet seen them anywhere except on a billboard. Has anyone else seen this or heard of where you can buy the new shoe line?

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/19/99 at 10:28 (009901)

I too was looking for something femanine and not sandal-like or duck-like. I found 'ecco' has an an attractive style in which the inner sole can be removed and my custom orthotic fits in well (or try over the counter Spenco arch cushions). Look at old message boards for more feedback on this topic.

Lou on 8/19/99 at 22:27 (009951)

Thanks. I think I'm going to buy some Mephistos this week. The Sabatina style looks like it might pass for a pump-like shoe. I guess a lot of you don't work in very formal settings, but I teach at a conservative university, and though I could dress more casually, I know that it would affect my success in terms of promotions and appointments to administrative positions. I find some Rockports comfortable, and may see what they have in low-heeled pumps as well.

Martha B. on 8/18/99 at 20:23 (009867)

Try Mephistos-www.mephistocentral.com.They are rather $$$$ but have some that are more suitable for dressy look.They will probably send you a catalog with more styles to choose from than the ones pictured.Happy shopping!!

Lee on 8/19/99 at 08:06 (009887)

My pain got so bad at one point I had bedroom slippers on, black fuzzy ones. I work in a hair salon and I'm supposed to look 'trendy'. By the time my pf was full blown I didn't care what anyone thought of my shoes and still don't. I still wear stylish clothes and goofy shoes.
The funny thing is I got more compliments on my Mephistos than any other shoe I've ever worn. Figure that out ! I wear them with everything.
The only other shoes I ever wear to work are my Easy spirit sneakers or Ked stretch with my orthodics in them. If you look in clothing catalogs you will see lots of ads with women wearing sneakers with and without socks. As long as they're new looking and clean I think they look professional and cute. I would like to add that only wearing these two kinds of shoes is hard for me mentally because I'm a shoe freak. Over 150 pairs of shoes and still buying hoping I can wear them soon.

Andrea on 8/19/99 at 08:51 (009893)

I work in a very professional office (suit and ties for men and suits with skirts for the women). On my bad days (most fo the time) I wear my Birks and don't care what anyone thinks. When I have a client come in, I slip on my one pair of dress shoes that my orthotics fit into(but we also sit the majority of the time.) If Birks work for you, I have heard they are coming out with a line of shoes (not sandals) but I have not yet seen them anywhere except on a billboard. Has anyone else seen this or heard of where you can buy the new shoe line?

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/19/99 at 10:28 (009901)

I too was looking for something femanine and not sandal-like or duck-like. I found 'ecco' has an an attractive style in which the inner sole can be removed and my custom orthotic fits in well (or try over the counter Spenco arch cushions). Look at old message boards for more feedback on this topic.

Lou on 8/19/99 at 22:27 (009951)

Thanks. I think I'm going to buy some Mephistos this week. The Sabatina style looks like it might pass for a pump-like shoe. I guess a lot of you don't work in very formal settings, but I teach at a conservative university, and though I could dress more casually, I know that it would affect my success in terms of promotions and appointments to administrative positions. I find some Rockports comfortable, and may see what they have in low-heeled pumps as well.