Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping

Posted by Margot on 8/19/99 at 00:52 (009879)

Can you use an ace bandage to ' tape' a foot?.....also; are there any good orthotics that can be bought over the counter?......I have the 'jelly cups', but, my Husband's insurance coverage doesn't start into effect until the beginning of September(he just changed jobs) and I just had surgery July 22nd and I'm not working> Cups and new Easy Spirit's don't help much! My Orthopedic surgeon told me I don't need orthotics....I don't know what to do anymore......two surgeries in one year and on the same foot!!!

Re: Taping

john on 8/02/99 at 12:47 (009394)

foot express sells a one time use tape on pad that simulates taping your foot to see if taping will help. view on http://www.footexpress.com

Paul on 8/19/99 at 06:36 (009881)

Tensor bandages would not give enough support. You would need athletic tape to do the best job. As far as orthortics go, they rank right up there with one of the best ways to alleviate PF. If you haven't tried them do so but wait until you have coverage and get a pair of custom made ones. When you get them do not go without them, even from the bed to the bathroom.

Paul

John C. on 8/19/99 at 08:15 (009889)

Margot,
I have just gone thru a 15 month round with PF. During that time, I used Dr. Scholls and custom orthotics. Over the course of my PF, the custom orthotics worked the best. But, the Dr. Scholls worked nearly as well for me and during the later part of my PF, the Dr. Scholls worked better than the custom orthotic. If the custom orthotic is not an option for you at this time, I would highly recommend trying an over the counter insert. The one that I had the best luck with is called a Dr. Scholl's Heel Guard with arch support.

Good luck,

John

john on 8/19/99 at 09:43 (009897)

checkout 'footexpress.com' for a one time use device that mimicks taping to see if it helps. most physical thearpist can tape your foot correctly and show you how to do it yourself.

john on 8/19/99 at 09:51 (009900)

i have had 3 pair of custom orthotics (hard, soft, and something in between). so far the ones that have worked best for me have been the 2 piece birkenstock orthotics which can be purchased or ordered at most birkenstock stores.i recently read an article by a doctor that immediately putting someone in custom orthotics at first sign of PF can aggrevate the problem. Most of what I read suggest heel lifts which I never tried. before I had PF i achilles tendonitis and tight hamstrings and calf muscles all of which could be a precursor to PF.

steve on 8/20/99 at 11:42 (009976)

Taping can be great. See the diagram on Scott's home page. A
'low dye' taping helped me a lot the first time I had PF. I then went into orthotics and that was a cure for several years. More recently I
tried taping exclusively as a cure and it didn't work. Worse, I learned the hard way that you have to remove the tape periodically (perhaps every night) or your skin may develop irritations or lesions. My feet got into a very nasty place. My advice is: taping is great as a short term relief, but if it doesn't cure in a couple of weeks orthotics may be your best bet. My personal theory is that most PF is a biomechanical problem and a structural solution (orthotics and proper shoes) plus strengthening plus a device like a night splint to allow healing at night - is a likely long term solution. Distinguishing between high and low arches is also significant. Stretching both feet and legs, plus self-message of my feet, has also seemed to help me.

john on 8/02/99 at 12:47 (009394)

foot express sells a one time use tape on pad that simulates taping your foot to see if taping will help. view on http://www.footexpress.com

Paul on 8/19/99 at 06:36 (009881)

Tensor bandages would not give enough support. You would need athletic tape to do the best job. As far as orthortics go, they rank right up there with one of the best ways to alleviate PF. If you haven't tried them do so but wait until you have coverage and get a pair of custom made ones. When you get them do not go without them, even from the bed to the bathroom.

Paul

John C. on 8/19/99 at 08:15 (009889)

Margot,
I have just gone thru a 15 month round with PF. During that time, I used Dr. Scholls and custom orthotics. Over the course of my PF, the custom orthotics worked the best. But, the Dr. Scholls worked nearly as well for me and during the later part of my PF, the Dr. Scholls worked better than the custom orthotic. If the custom orthotic is not an option for you at this time, I would highly recommend trying an over the counter insert. The one that I had the best luck with is called a Dr. Scholl's Heel Guard with arch support.

Good luck,

John

john on 8/19/99 at 09:43 (009897)

checkout 'footexpress.com' for a one time use device that mimicks taping to see if it helps. most physical thearpist can tape your foot correctly and show you how to do it yourself.

john on 8/19/99 at 09:51 (009900)

i have had 3 pair of custom orthotics (hard, soft, and something in between). so far the ones that have worked best for me have been the 2 piece birkenstock orthotics which can be purchased or ordered at most birkenstock stores.i recently read an article by a doctor that immediately putting someone in custom orthotics at first sign of PF can aggrevate the problem. Most of what I read suggest heel lifts which I never tried. before I had PF i achilles tendonitis and tight hamstrings and calf muscles all of which could be a precursor to PF.

steve on 8/20/99 at 11:42 (009976)

Taping can be great. See the diagram on Scott's home page. A
'low dye' taping helped me a lot the first time I had PF. I then went into orthotics and that was a cure for several years. More recently I
tried taping exclusively as a cure and it didn't work. Worse, I learned the hard way that you have to remove the tape periodically (perhaps every night) or your skin may develop irritations or lesions. My feet got into a very nasty place. My advice is: taping is great as a short term relief, but if it doesn't cure in a couple of weeks orthotics may be your best bet. My personal theory is that most PF is a biomechanical problem and a structural solution (orthotics and proper shoes) plus strengthening plus a device like a night splint to allow healing at night - is a likely long term solution. Distinguishing between high and low arches is also significant. Stretching both feet and legs, plus self-message of my feet, has also seemed to help me.