Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Different kinds of surgery

Posted by Lori on 8/19/99 at 08:00 (009885)

Lee, My Dr. does both types of surgery. Your Dr. will assess the situation and do what's best for you. I was not able to have the endoscope surgery and had the 'old fashioned' 2 inch incision. From what I've read, the 'old fashioned' surgery allows the Dr. a better view. I had a HUGE bone spur removed and the 2/3 release of the PF ligament. It has been 12 weeks and 4 days and my foot is still sore at times. I feel that it has improved since before the surgery but is not 100%. The only thing I didn't try before surgery was accupuncture which I've since done on my other foot and it got rid of the pain completely! You might want to give it a try. Also, PLEASE use a Dr. that is GOOD! Get a recommendation. It looks like some of these guys are quacks and have destroyed peoples' feet. Mine is an excellent Dr. and I will go to him for surgery on the other foot during summer vaction next year (I'm a teacher) if the pain in my other foot comes back. Good luck!
Lori in AZ

Re: Different kinds of surgery

Lee on 8/19/99 at 08:10 (009888)

Lori...
My Dr. only does the kind of surgery you had. Why only 2/3 release?
Why not cut the whole thing. My Dr. told me 6 weeks of recovery time. This is really an important issue for me. Because I'm self employed as a hairstylist I would really lose a lot of money and possibly clients if I'm off work for too long. Do you think you could stand for 8 hours a day after the 6 week point? Please be honest, I could not afford to be off work for even 8 weeks

John on 8/19/99 at 09:38 (009896)

my doctor does a maximum of a 20% release of the fascia. there are doctors who do releases all the way up to 100%. downside from what i read is that with little or no fascia your foot loses a lot of stability and down the road you are possible in for other foot problems. endoscopic vs open procedure you will find a lot of controversy. orthopedic surgeons tend to do open procedures. poditrist tend to do endoscopic procedures. down side of endoscopic is the surgeon does not get as good a view of the tissues and nerves involved. downside for open procedure is longer recovery time. read all the post and make your on judgement as to has better success. if i have the procedure i definitely know which one i will go with but i would not want to influence anyone with such a personal decision. i have read success and failure stories from both sides of the issue

Margot on 8/19/99 at 09:48 (009899)

That's very true........I myself haven't had luck with surgeries, but, through this website(thank-you), there are people like me who have had wonderful results with the pf surgeries and I'm thrilled for them, because 'I've been there'!

joan on 8/19/99 at 12:15 (009909)

As far as getting a good doctor--although I haven't actually consulted with this doctor yet (it may hopefully be a last resort), I went about getting my name by calling the major professional ballet company in my city and asking for their doctor. They were very helpful, and although this is of course no guarantee, I figured that a ballet company would have a high concentration of people with foot difficulties and a real committment to getting them the best care. Just an idea.........

Ann on 8/19/99 at 12:42 (009910)

Lee, I had surgery 4 1/2 months ago. A partial release. I would not do a full release under any circumstances. I will be honest with you. I think that you are going to have a hard time standing on your feet all day after 6 weeks. Get some good tennis shoes ( I like the New Balance) and some orthotics. You cannot be fashion concious with this ailment. I am sure when you are finished work for the day, you will want to get home and ice and stretch and put your feet up.

Best of luck to you.

Suzy on 8/20/99 at 13:40 (009986)

Hi Lee,
No way!! Sorry to say but i have had 2 surgerys and cant stand for more than 1 hour in a day and it has been 2 years since this whole thing started. You also have to take into thought that you might have problems becouse of the surgery as well.. I have pain still in the PF area as well as added pain in the ankle. I think that is TTS. You could be diffrent and be GREAT after 8 weeks BUT please dont plan on it.. GOod luck and let us know what you end up doing..
take care!
Suzy

Lee on 8/19/99 at 08:10 (009888)

Lori...
My Dr. only does the kind of surgery you had. Why only 2/3 release?
Why not cut the whole thing. My Dr. told me 6 weeks of recovery time. This is really an important issue for me. Because I'm self employed as a hairstylist I would really lose a lot of money and possibly clients if I'm off work for too long. Do you think you could stand for 8 hours a day after the 6 week point? Please be honest, I could not afford to be off work for even 8 weeks

John on 8/19/99 at 09:38 (009896)

my doctor does a maximum of a 20% release of the fascia. there are doctors who do releases all the way up to 100%. downside from what i read is that with little or no fascia your foot loses a lot of stability and down the road you are possible in for other foot problems. endoscopic vs open procedure you will find a lot of controversy. orthopedic surgeons tend to do open procedures. poditrist tend to do endoscopic procedures. down side of endoscopic is the surgeon does not get as good a view of the tissues and nerves involved. downside for open procedure is longer recovery time. read all the post and make your on judgement as to has better success. if i have the procedure i definitely know which one i will go with but i would not want to influence anyone with such a personal decision. i have read success and failure stories from both sides of the issue

Margot on 8/19/99 at 09:48 (009899)

That's very true........I myself haven't had luck with surgeries, but, through this website(thank-you), there are people like me who have had wonderful results with the pf surgeries and I'm thrilled for them, because 'I've been there'!

joan on 8/19/99 at 12:15 (009909)

As far as getting a good doctor--although I haven't actually consulted with this doctor yet (it may hopefully be a last resort), I went about getting my name by calling the major professional ballet company in my city and asking for their doctor. They were very helpful, and although this is of course no guarantee, I figured that a ballet company would have a high concentration of people with foot difficulties and a real committment to getting them the best care. Just an idea.........

Ann on 8/19/99 at 12:42 (009910)

Lee, I had surgery 4 1/2 months ago. A partial release. I would not do a full release under any circumstances. I will be honest with you. I think that you are going to have a hard time standing on your feet all day after 6 weeks. Get some good tennis shoes ( I like the New Balance) and some orthotics. You cannot be fashion concious with this ailment. I am sure when you are finished work for the day, you will want to get home and ice and stretch and put your feet up.

Best of luck to you.

Suzy on 8/20/99 at 13:40 (009986)

Hi Lee,
No way!! Sorry to say but i have had 2 surgerys and cant stand for more than 1 hour in a day and it has been 2 years since this whole thing started. You also have to take into thought that you might have problems becouse of the surgery as well.. I have pain still in the PF area as well as added pain in the ankle. I think that is TTS. You could be diffrent and be GREAT after 8 weeks BUT please dont plan on it.. GOod luck and let us know what you end up doing..
take care!
Suzy