Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What does the drug Vioxx do?

Posted by Karen on 8/19/99 at 08:56 (009894)

I think it was Joan who mentioned success with Vioxx. What is it? An anti-inflammitory?

Re: What does the drug Vioxx do?

joan on 8/19/99 at 12:08 (009908)

Hi--these are excerpts from the package insert that came with my samples--Vioxx (rofecoxib).
Mechanism of action: Vioxx is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that exhibits anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activities.....the mechanism of action of VIOXX is believed to be due to inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis......
Indications and Usage: --for relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis.....for the management of acute pain in adults......for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea.
Check with your doctor to find out the specifics, contraindications, etc.
As a note of interest, I just transferred 250 sq. ft. of wide plank pine flooring from my front lawn into my house (board by board of course--I'm no she-woman!), and my foot only hurt a little bit afterward. Even better for me is the fact that my right shoulder was able to handle the whole thing relatively pain-free. A week ago I would not have even attempted this in anticipation of bad follow-up pain. I am by no means saying that this drug is a miracle cure-all or that it will work for everybody as we are all different biochemically in our responses to drugs (I have tried several that did nada for me), but I am pretty impressed with this one. I hope that my success can be repeated by at least a few of you out there. Good luck. :o)

Martha B. on 8/19/99 at 14:33 (009917)

I hate taking meds.and the wonder drugs I've tried before didn't help so I quit.Called my pharmacist re Vioxx and he informed me he had given it to only 4 customers and 3 contacted him that it was fabulous, sooooo I have a prescription waiting for me at the drugstore.Will keep u posted.By the way,$2.25 each and can take up to 3 a day.I will only take 1 for more reasons than $$$$.Bye for now-heading to the pharmacy.

Bea on 8/19/99 at 22:13 (009946)

Remember to be careful about any drug you take. There ae quite a few nonsterioid anti inflammatory drugs out there that can be very effective. But you cannot take them forever. There are side effects and can give you much trouble in the future. They are just a stop gap measure.

Robin on 8/20/99 at 05:07 (009958)

I'm not sure, but I suspect this is one of the new Cox-2 inhibitor anti-inflamatories. Cox-2 inhibitors were developed to reduce inflamation while NOT causing gastro-intestinal erosion, which of course means you can remain on them longer with far less danger to internal organs.

Re: What does the drug Vioxx do?Martha.....Bea....

joan on 8/20/99 at 18:21 (009997)

Hi--I am taking 25 mg one time a day--when i read the package insert, the maximum dosage i read about was 50 mg one time a day and that was specifically for menstrual pain and only to be done for 5 days. just wanted you to know. 25mg has certainly been sufficient for me.
bea--no drug should be forever, but i strongly believe that reducing the inflammation for a period of time is very beneficial to healing tissues, as it gives them a chance to get more blood circulating through/to them. the relief of pain also makes it easier to deal with the whole process of rehabilitating the area, and psychologically it is a TREMENDOUS boost. i too have tried a few other drugs with no results, which is what is making this such a pleasant surpride for me. good luck to you.

joan on 8/20/99 at 18:25 (009998)

Yes--that is what I have read. I have had no stomach effects, and I am prone to esophagitis and high acid production, so this is pretty good in my book.

Martha B. on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010043)

Hope it's in my FEET and not in my head but after 2 days on Vioxx they really do feel much better.I only had 15 days of the Rx. filled as I have had poor results with other anti-inflams.If the next few days go as well I will be getting the rest of the prescription filled.I will report back next Wed. as I work M-W andlet you know how it went at work.That will be a good indication. Talked to my sister who has fibromyalgia and her Dr. put her on it this week and she can also tell it is helping her.Good luck to all!!!!

joan on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010086)

I have been on Vioxx for 11 days and am still doing very well--in fact I am now doing better than a week ago. I think because I am able to walk with a heel-toe gait and am still being religious about orthotics and good sneakers, I am getting the best success. I am even doing some barefoot around the house and developing some of the foot muscles again. Also, my shoulder is doing phenomally (when compared with the past--I would have to say that it is still somewhat more involved than my foot). BUT, yesterday and today I spent the day manually pulling out staples and carpet tacks, prying moulding from the wall, and carrying out a full size room rug to the trash. And the after effects have been minor. I know I will get my best healing if I take it even easier in the future, but for now I am indulging and enjoying working on my 'new' old house for the first time since I bought it a year ago. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone else's success with either Vioxx or Celebrex, and I want to offer encouragement to anyone out there who is feeling down. While Vioxx might not be your ticket (nor do I think it is completely mine), I now know form experience that you CAN feel better again. There was a long time during which I was pretty down and thought I'd never get 'my normal foot' back. I could not have predicted then that I would ever be writing this now. So hang in because I do believe that something can come along and work eventually. Dr. Robert Schuller (Hour of Power on Sunday mornings) said something like 'Hope is the belief that time is not standing still and that things can move toward a better place.'

john on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010100)

a good site to check out any drug and its price is 'www.drugstore.com'.
i have found that many of their drug prices are one-half the price of any local pharmacy. they mail free via overnight mail. they will call your pharmacy or your doctor to transfer a prescription. they recently went public on the stock exchange. they opened at around $11. I placed an order at $18 a share and by the time my order was placed it was $54 a share.

Mary Ann on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010112)

I am glad you are having some relief of your pain. I tried Celebrex and did not have any relief of pain. The only antiinflammatory that helped me was Cataflam and then it started to wear off after 1 1/2 months.

Martha B. on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010113)

Love that Vioxx-I worked today and did better,with less pain ,than I have done in months.I still know the feet are there(lolol)but sooooo much better.Only on it 4 days but greatly improved.3 other antinflams did nothing for me so DONT GIVE UP.

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010242)

I took Feldene until I developed heartburn, nausea, and stomach pain and then took Celebrex for 1 month. My pain has returned full force on the Celebrex. I also have a prescription of Vioxx to pick up at the pharmacy tomorrow. Will see.

joan on 8/19/99 at 12:08 (009908)

Hi--these are excerpts from the package insert that came with my samples--Vioxx (rofecoxib).
Mechanism of action: Vioxx is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that exhibits anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activities.....the mechanism of action of VIOXX is believed to be due to inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis......
Indications and Usage: --for relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis.....for the management of acute pain in adults......for the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea.
Check with your doctor to find out the specifics, contraindications, etc.
As a note of interest, I just transferred 250 sq. ft. of wide plank pine flooring from my front lawn into my house (board by board of course--I'm no she-woman!), and my foot only hurt a little bit afterward. Even better for me is the fact that my right shoulder was able to handle the whole thing relatively pain-free. A week ago I would not have even attempted this in anticipation of bad follow-up pain. I am by no means saying that this drug is a miracle cure-all or that it will work for everybody as we are all different biochemically in our responses to drugs (I have tried several that did nada for me), but I am pretty impressed with this one. I hope that my success can be repeated by at least a few of you out there. Good luck. :o)

Martha B. on 8/19/99 at 14:33 (009917)

I hate taking meds.and the wonder drugs I've tried before didn't help so I quit.Called my pharmacist re Vioxx and he informed me he had given it to only 4 customers and 3 contacted him that it was fabulous, sooooo I have a prescription waiting for me at the drugstore.Will keep u posted.By the way,$2.25 each and can take up to 3 a day.I will only take 1 for more reasons than $$$$.Bye for now-heading to the pharmacy.

Bea on 8/19/99 at 22:13 (009946)

Remember to be careful about any drug you take. There ae quite a few nonsterioid anti inflammatory drugs out there that can be very effective. But you cannot take them forever. There are side effects and can give you much trouble in the future. They are just a stop gap measure.

Robin on 8/20/99 at 05:07 (009958)

I'm not sure, but I suspect this is one of the new Cox-2 inhibitor anti-inflamatories. Cox-2 inhibitors were developed to reduce inflamation while NOT causing gastro-intestinal erosion, which of course means you can remain on them longer with far less danger to internal organs.

Re: What does the drug Vioxx do?Martha.....Bea....

joan on 8/20/99 at 18:21 (009997)

Hi--I am taking 25 mg one time a day--when i read the package insert, the maximum dosage i read about was 50 mg one time a day and that was specifically for menstrual pain and only to be done for 5 days. just wanted you to know. 25mg has certainly been sufficient for me.
bea--no drug should be forever, but i strongly believe that reducing the inflammation for a period of time is very beneficial to healing tissues, as it gives them a chance to get more blood circulating through/to them. the relief of pain also makes it easier to deal with the whole process of rehabilitating the area, and psychologically it is a TREMENDOUS boost. i too have tried a few other drugs with no results, which is what is making this such a pleasant surpride for me. good luck to you.

joan on 8/20/99 at 18:25 (009998)

Yes--that is what I have read. I have had no stomach effects, and I am prone to esophagitis and high acid production, so this is pretty good in my book.

Martha B. on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010043)

Hope it's in my FEET and not in my head but after 2 days on Vioxx they really do feel much better.I only had 15 days of the Rx. filled as I have had poor results with other anti-inflams.If the next few days go as well I will be getting the rest of the prescription filled.I will report back next Wed. as I work M-W andlet you know how it went at work.That will be a good indication. Talked to my sister who has fibromyalgia and her Dr. put her on it this week and she can also tell it is helping her.Good luck to all!!!!

joan on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010086)

I have been on Vioxx for 11 days and am still doing very well--in fact I am now doing better than a week ago. I think because I am able to walk with a heel-toe gait and am still being religious about orthotics and good sneakers, I am getting the best success. I am even doing some barefoot around the house and developing some of the foot muscles again. Also, my shoulder is doing phenomally (when compared with the past--I would have to say that it is still somewhat more involved than my foot). BUT, yesterday and today I spent the day manually pulling out staples and carpet tacks, prying moulding from the wall, and carrying out a full size room rug to the trash. And the after effects have been minor. I know I will get my best healing if I take it even easier in the future, but for now I am indulging and enjoying working on my 'new' old house for the first time since I bought it a year ago. Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone else's success with either Vioxx or Celebrex, and I want to offer encouragement to anyone out there who is feeling down. While Vioxx might not be your ticket (nor do I think it is completely mine), I now know form experience that you CAN feel better again. There was a long time during which I was pretty down and thought I'd never get 'my normal foot' back. I could not have predicted then that I would ever be writing this now. So hang in because I do believe that something can come along and work eventually. Dr. Robert Schuller (Hour of Power on Sunday mornings) said something like 'Hope is the belief that time is not standing still and that things can move toward a better place.'

john on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010100)

a good site to check out any drug and its price is 'www.drugstore.com'.
i have found that many of their drug prices are one-half the price of any local pharmacy. they mail free via overnight mail. they will call your pharmacy or your doctor to transfer a prescription. they recently went public on the stock exchange. they opened at around $11. I placed an order at $18 a share and by the time my order was placed it was $54 a share.

Mary Ann on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010112)

I am glad you are having some relief of your pain. I tried Celebrex and did not have any relief of pain. The only antiinflammatory that helped me was Cataflam and then it started to wear off after 1 1/2 months.

Martha B. on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010113)

Love that Vioxx-I worked today and did better,with less pain ,than I have done in months.I still know the feet are there(lolol)but sooooo much better.Only on it 4 days but greatly improved.3 other antinflams did nothing for me so DONT GIVE UP.

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010242)

I took Feldene until I developed heartburn, nausea, and stomach pain and then took Celebrex for 1 month. My pain has returned full force on the Celebrex. I also have a prescription of Vioxx to pick up at the pharmacy tomorrow. Will see.