Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Lee about Piroxicam cream

Posted by Sarah on 8/20/99 at 07:09 (009959)

Went to my dr. yesterday and he refused to write a prescription for this. He said that has not heard nay of the leading authorities use this and he couldn't write a prescription for something that he had heard nothing about. I respect the fact that he wouldn't write it, but I found it very frustrating. It is not like it is valume or some oral. addictive, possibly dangerous drug. It is a topical ointment. I am wondering why doctors recommend ibuprofen knowing its longterm side affects without hesitation. Anyway, I am just venting. I have always been happy with my dr., but I am considering a second opinion.

Re: To Lee about Piroxicam cream

iris on 8/20/99 at 07:14 (009960)

if you are successful in obtaining this product in gel form please inform me as to where you found it. i had my pharmacy 'compound' it resulting in a greasy ointment with little pieces of the pill mixed in. NOT HELPFUL IN THAT FORM!

iris on 8/20/99 at 07:14 (009962)

if you are successful in obtaining this product in gel form please inform me as to where you found it. i had my pharmacy 'compound' it resulting in a greasy ointment with little pieces of the pill mixed in. NOT HELPFUL IN THAT FORM!

Gina on 8/20/99 at 09:58 (009972)

Had to persuade my crabby dr. to write prescription for 2% piroxicam cream; he had never heard of it. It was up to the pharmacist to figure out how to compound it; he ordered alcohol gel as a base, but the final product is .5% piroxicam gel. Supposedly the alcohol gel increases absorption so the amount of piroxicam needed decreases. The other alternative was to go with the greasy ointment you described. Just got it today, so don't know if it will work.

iris on 8/20/99 at 07:14 (009960)

iris on 8/20/99 at 07:14 (009962)

Gina on 8/20/99 at 09:58 (009972)

Had to persuade my crabby dr. to write prescription for 2% piroxicam cream; he had never heard of it. It was up to the pharmacist to figure out how to compound it; he ordered alcohol gel as a base, but the final product is .5% piroxicam gel. Supposedly the alcohol gel increases absorption so the amount of piroxicam needed decreases. The other alternative was to go with the greasy ointment you described. Just got it today, so don't know if it will work.