Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What type of doctor do you recommend and why. Please advise.

Posted by Sarah on 8/20/99 at 07:14 (009961)

I am wanting a second and perhaps a third opinion on my foot. Currently I have gone to a surgical podiatrist who is very respected here in his field and I have felt satisfied with thus far. HOWEVER, he has declared that he has tried all of the conservative methods (which he has) and has suggested I consider the option of surgery. I am just not ready to throw in the towel and do surgery. Perhaps I am wrong.

Anyway, I want to know what type of doctors you would recommend seeing:
surgical podiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, other????

Please elaborate on your reasoning behind this.

Sarah

Re: What type of doctor do you recommend and why. Please advise.

Wendy on 8/20/99 at 07:58 (009963)

If you have been seeing a podiatrist, then I would definitely see an orthopaedic doctor for a consult. I was faced with much the same situation with a podiatrist saying surgery was the next step, so I took myself to an ortho. doctor. He reiterated that surgery is needed in only 1-2% of PF patients. My family physician also said stick with the orthopaedic doctors. I don't have anything against podiatrists, just the one I saw, who led me down some wrong paths in the beginning and probably delayed the healing process. Also, I checked to see that the ortho. doc was listed in the AOFAA list (an early posting on this board led me to that web site). In the six weeks since I first saw the ortho. doctor, my foot has improved at least 50% and I have hopes for full recovery. I saw the podiatrist for five months, had five cortisone shots and kept getting worse!

Wendy on 8/20/99 at 08:06 (009964)

Correction to the message above....should read AOFAS rather than AOFAA. The web site is http://www.aofas.org .

John on 8/20/99 at 08:07 (009966)

if you see an orthopedic surgeon try to find one who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. usually only found in cities.

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:34 (009969)

Sarah, read the posts yesterday re: surgery. I asked for feedback thinking I might consider surgery in Jan. But now I think I'll stick with the conservative approach for awhile. I just can't afford to be off my feet for very long. I'm also not ready to retire. I personally can't take the chance of long term post surgical pain, at least without surgery I still have hope it will go away by itself. And since I first got my heel spur it is much better. I'm just trying to get rid of the last nagging pain.
I'm having physical therapy now. (2nd visit today) and next week I'll start acupuncture. Also considering VIOXX if these two things don't work. I'm not big on taking pills because they mask the pain, not a cure. I am blessed with great insurance that has paid for everything so far, so I really have been able to experiment with Dr.'s and treatment.

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:44 (009970)

I had the same experience as Wendy. My first Dr. taped my foot and didn't even say I had to come back. Said that was all he could do. And that I should stay off my feet as much as possible. (he was highly reccommended) Second Pod. was a worse, he soaked my feet alot it tepid water and made me orthodics I couldn't wear for even 5 minutes
($600.00 that insurance paid) Third Dr. was orthopedic foot surgeon
that works with athletes alot. He said stay off my feet, nothing he could do for me. Fourth Dr. I was desperate by now and practically crippled. Made me new orthodics ($300.00 insurance paid) and my feet were better for months. Then out of no where heel spur. I'm still with the same Dr. because it is getting better but the turnaround in pain was when I found this board and became active in my own care.
Sometimes my Dr. just looks at me like I'm crazy for some of the things I've mentioned but I don't care. My foot is better since I took over and got assertive about healing. If your Dr. isn't helping move on to another. I was crawling by the time I got to the fourth Dr.

Jan on 8/20/99 at 15:12 (009988)

What in particular have you done yourself that has helped your feet the most? I read all these messages and don't know where to begin. I have had pain for 2 years and one doctor and lots of cortisone shots and orthotics. Although the pain has subsided in one area, it develops in another area - very frustrating as you know. Any suggestions?

Wendy on 8/20/99 at 07:58 (009963)

If you have been seeing a podiatrist, then I would definitely see an orthopaedic doctor for a consult. I was faced with much the same situation with a podiatrist saying surgery was the next step, so I took myself to an ortho. doctor. He reiterated that surgery is needed in only 1-2% of PF patients. My family physician also said stick with the orthopaedic doctors. I don't have anything against podiatrists, just the one I saw, who led me down some wrong paths in the beginning and probably delayed the healing process. Also, I checked to see that the ortho. doc was listed in the AOFAA list (an early posting on this board led me to that web site). In the six weeks since I first saw the ortho. doctor, my foot has improved at least 50% and I have hopes for full recovery. I saw the podiatrist for five months, had five cortisone shots and kept getting worse!

Wendy on 8/20/99 at 08:06 (009964)

Correction to the message above....should read AOFAS rather than AOFAA. The web site is http://www.aofas.org .

John on 8/20/99 at 08:07 (009966)

if you see an orthopedic surgeon try to find one who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. usually only found in cities.

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:34 (009969)

Sarah, read the posts yesterday re: surgery. I asked for feedback thinking I might consider surgery in Jan. But now I think I'll stick with the conservative approach for awhile. I just can't afford to be off my feet for very long. I'm also not ready to retire. I personally can't take the chance of long term post surgical pain, at least without surgery I still have hope it will go away by itself. And since I first got my heel spur it is much better. I'm just trying to get rid of the last nagging pain.
I'm having physical therapy now. (2nd visit today) and next week I'll start acupuncture. Also considering VIOXX if these two things don't work. I'm not big on taking pills because they mask the pain, not a cure. I am blessed with great insurance that has paid for everything so far, so I really have been able to experiment with Dr.'s and treatment.

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:44 (009970)

I had the same experience as Wendy. My first Dr. taped my foot and didn't even say I had to come back. Said that was all he could do. And that I should stay off my feet as much as possible. (he was highly reccommended) Second Pod. was a worse, he soaked my feet alot it tepid water and made me orthodics I couldn't wear for even 5 minutes
($600.00 that insurance paid) Third Dr. was orthopedic foot surgeon
that works with athletes alot. He said stay off my feet, nothing he could do for me. Fourth Dr. I was desperate by now and practically crippled. Made me new orthodics ($300.00 insurance paid) and my feet were better for months. Then out of no where heel spur. I'm still with the same Dr. because it is getting better but the turnaround in pain was when I found this board and became active in my own care.
Sometimes my Dr. just looks at me like I'm crazy for some of the things I've mentioned but I don't care. My foot is better since I took over and got assertive about healing. If your Dr. isn't helping move on to another. I was crawling by the time I got to the fourth Dr.

Jan on 8/20/99 at 15:12 (009988)

What in particular have you done yourself that has helped your feet the most? I read all these messages and don't know where to begin. I have had pain for 2 years and one doctor and lots of cortisone shots and orthotics. Although the pain has subsided in one area, it develops in another area - very frustrating as you know. Any suggestions?