Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many cortisone shots? And pinch nerve on top of foot

Posted by Jan R. on 8/20/99 at 08:06 (009965)

I have had PF for 2 years now. It started with heel pain (and heel spur)in left foot - after 3 cortisone shots (which didn't work)and Phys. Therapy (which was great) last summer and custom orthotics - heel pain went away. I then started with pain on top of left foot this past January and my doctor said he thought it was a pinched nerve (caused by this orthotics) - he gave me 4 cortisone shots on top of foot. Pain finally went away on top but have a lot of pain on bottom of foot and doctor thinks it is still problems with the nerve and gave me another cortisone shot. My question is this 1) I thought it wasn't good to have too many cort. shots - have I had too many already? and 2) has anyone else ever had problems with the nerve?

Re: How many cortisone shots? And pinch nerve on top of foot

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:52 (009971)

I've had three cortizone shots straight up my heel and I would rather cut off my foot than have another one. And yes I've heard it's not good to have to many. Personally I think they just mask the pain, my heel spur pain came back after a few weeks every time.
I wonder why so many people on this board cure one thing on their foot and then another problem arises? First I had tarasal tunnel, then heel spur, then arch pain, then ankle pain. What is that about. !

Paul on 8/20/99 at 10:30 (009974)

I'm no doctor but is probably about compensating. Changing the way we walk when we have discomfort is bound to cause a problem somewhere else on the body.

Nancy M on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010010)

As I've posed several times, I've had surgery (EPF) on both feet with success. I've also had three neuroma's (tumor in the nerve) removed. A neuroma is very painful with most of the pain on the ball of your foot, some on top, but most on the bottom. The pain can be described as burning, stabbing, radiating, or just an odd feeling. In total I've had 4 surgeries on my feet 2 for EPF and 2 for neuromas with that last surgery being 4 weeks ago yesterday on both feet for a neuroma in each of foot. The first three have been successful and as for the last one, my feet or feeling better and better each day. As for the cortisone shots, my doctor would not give me more than three for each of the problems I had. Please email me if you have any questions.
Nancy in AZ

Raleigh on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010158)

I had pain on the top of the foot, too. My accupuncturist said that she thought the muscles were just spasming and inflamed. The treatment, combined with icing, and MAGNETS made it go away!

Lee on 8/20/99 at 09:52 (009971)

I've had three cortizone shots straight up my heel and I would rather cut off my foot than have another one. And yes I've heard it's not good to have to many. Personally I think they just mask the pain, my heel spur pain came back after a few weeks every time.
I wonder why so many people on this board cure one thing on their foot and then another problem arises? First I had tarasal tunnel, then heel spur, then arch pain, then ankle pain. What is that about. !

Paul on 8/20/99 at 10:30 (009974)

I'm no doctor but is probably about compensating. Changing the way we walk when we have discomfort is bound to cause a problem somewhere else on the body.

Nancy M on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010010)

As I've posed several times, I've had surgery (EPF) on both feet with success. I've also had three neuroma's (tumor in the nerve) removed. A neuroma is very painful with most of the pain on the ball of your foot, some on top, but most on the bottom. The pain can be described as burning, stabbing, radiating, or just an odd feeling. In total I've had 4 surgeries on my feet 2 for EPF and 2 for neuromas with that last surgery being 4 weeks ago yesterday on both feet for a neuroma in each of foot. The first three have been successful and as for the last one, my feet or feeling better and better each day. As for the cortisone shots, my doctor would not give me more than three for each of the problems I had. Please email me if you have any questions.
Nancy in AZ

Raleigh on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010158)

I had pain on the top of the foot, too. My accupuncturist said that she thought the muscles were just spasming and inflamed. The treatment, combined with icing, and MAGNETS made it go away!