Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching still reducing pain by 90%.

Posted by Letty on 8/20/99 at 12:55 (009981)

I am still doing the wall push exercise with straight extended leg and then bent leg 5-7 times a day and my pain almost from the beginning is 90-95% improved. For me it seems I might not have been stretching enough. So the key for some of us may more more stretching of those calf muscles not less. I was always afraid of straining something with too many stretches. But I guess the key is not to bounce and stop if it hurts. After 2 years, I feel like a curse has been lifted from me. I know it might not last (that's one thing you learn on this board and from trying everything) but even if I get a temporary reprieve from the constant pain on walking, its great. So try more stretching than before and see how it helps. Good luck to all!

Re: Stretching still reducing pain by 90%.

Nancy T. on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010011)

Hi Letty: Just wanted to thank you for the advice. More stretching is definitely helping me. Have increased my stretching progam since your post, and definitely see less pain..Hopefully I have as good a result as you..Will keep you posted..
Nancy T.

iris on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010028)

i have been told by my doctor to stretch at least 12 times a day. when i start to stretch, i start to really ache in the heel area. have you experienced the same reaction? the ache does eventually go away but i have been afraid due to it. the doctor tells me i cannot do any harm. thank you for replying.

Joanna on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010033)

Along with the stretching what kind of shoes do you wear?
Do you wear them all the time?

Letty on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010062)

I wear New Balance tennis shoes when I go out with a new rigid orthotic with strong arch support. For a long while I could only wear Birks.
Letty

Letty on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010063)

I have that same tightness in the heel and some soreness and for 2 years I was afraid to stretch alot because of it. For me, I found that soreness went away. The orthopedist who recommended more stretching to me had achilles tendonitis himself and uses the same wall push (straight and bent knee) to treat his condition. He explained that part of the problem with both conditions is that the calf muscles are tight and need extended stretching. However they always say don't stretch if it hurt but I guess each person has to judge for themselves.

Good Luck. Letty

Re: Stretching still reducing pain by 90%.-To Letty

Nancy T. on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010163)

Hi Letty: Promised to keep you posted on stretching......and want to say thank-you. Since I began doing extra stretches, (I was perscribed by PT to do three times a day)managing now up to 8 times a day for 30 seconds each, I have improved immensely. I now am convinced that the extra time spent is well worth it. My pain level is down now about 50%, and improving each day. It is like a part-time job, though, and you have to constantly have it on your mind to remind yourself to stretch! It is almost an hourly thing! Again, Letty, thank you for your advice. You have done me a great service, and hopefully this advice will help others. Will keep you posted!

Nancy T. on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010263)

Hi Letty: Just to keep you posted. The increased stretching has made such a difference. Everyday I notice a small improvement, although, again, it is difficult to find time to jam so many stretches into a day. Yesterday I was at 7-30 second stretches, both feet. The day before I made it up to 10, which is a miracle considering my schedule. But, the difference is clearly there. Just so happy that you recommended this to us all. Am wondering if anyone else has taken up your suggestion and has shown as much improvement as I have? Have you succeeded in keeping up your stretching and has your improvement continued? Thanks again for the advice.

Nancy T. on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010011)

Hi Letty: Just wanted to thank you for the advice. More stretching is definitely helping me. Have increased my stretching progam since your post, and definitely see less pain..Hopefully I have as good a result as you..Will keep you posted..
Nancy T.

iris on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010028)

i have been told by my doctor to stretch at least 12 times a day. when i start to stretch, i start to really ache in the heel area. have you experienced the same reaction? the ache does eventually go away but i have been afraid due to it. the doctor tells me i cannot do any harm. thank you for replying.

Joanna on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010033)

Along with the stretching what kind of shoes do you wear?
Do you wear them all the time?

Letty on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010062)

I wear New Balance tennis shoes when I go out with a new rigid orthotic with strong arch support. For a long while I could only wear Birks.
Letty

Letty on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010063)

I have that same tightness in the heel and some soreness and for 2 years I was afraid to stretch alot because of it. For me, I found that soreness went away. The orthopedist who recommended more stretching to me had achilles tendonitis himself and uses the same wall push (straight and bent knee) to treat his condition. He explained that part of the problem with both conditions is that the calf muscles are tight and need extended stretching. However they always say don't stretch if it hurt but I guess each person has to judge for themselves.

Good Luck. Letty

Nancy T. on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010163)

Hi Letty: Promised to keep you posted on stretching......and want to say thank-you. Since I began doing extra stretches, (I was perscribed by PT to do three times a day)managing now up to 8 times a day for 30 seconds each, I have improved immensely. I now am convinced that the extra time spent is well worth it. My pain level is down now about 50%, and improving each day. It is like a part-time job, though, and you have to constantly have it on your mind to remind yourself to stretch! It is almost an hourly thing! Again, Letty, thank you for your advice. You have done me a great service, and hopefully this advice will help others. Will keep you posted!

Nancy T. on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010263)

Hi Letty: Just to keep you posted. The increased stretching has made such a difference. Everyday I notice a small improvement, although, again, it is difficult to find time to jam so many stretches into a day. Yesterday I was at 7-30 second stretches, both feet. The day before I made it up to 10, which is a miracle considering my schedule. But, the difference is clearly there. Just so happy that you recommended this to us all. Am wondering if anyone else has taken up your suggestion and has shown as much improvement as I have? Have you succeeded in keeping up your stretching and has your improvement continued? Thanks again for the advice.