Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for LEE

Posted by joan on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010001)

PLEASE list the names of insurance companies you have used which have actually PAID for orthotics--I almost fell out of my chair when I read that in your post, which would have given me an acute case of buttock fasciitis as well! I have NEVER heard of a company reimbursing for these.

Re: question for LEE

wendy on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010017)

We have CHAMPUS (military) and they paid 50%.

Maureen on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010018)

I have a Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO and they have paid (over several years) for 80% of three different orthotics. They paid for the most recent ones within the past 3 months. Maybe it has something to do with how the dr writes it up. I have osteoarthritis in my non-pf foot - it was operated on for a spur about 10 years ago. He told me the insurance company would pay for Celebrex for the osteoarthritis but not for the pf. So since I do have oa in my other foot, he feels justified in prescribing the Celebrex. Go figure!!

Lee on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010023)

As I've said before I am blessed with great insurance. It's a self administered plan. LA Fireman's Relief Association. It's one of the great benefits of my husband's job.

john a on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010102)

I went to a podiatrist who was in my plan (BCBS POS Plan), but went to a lot of trouble to try to be sure they would cover the $400 for the orthotics. Well, they did 'cover' it after all, but they only paid the podiatrist $40! Since he is in my plan, he can't bill me for the difference! Almost makes me feel sorry for the poor guy ;-) NOT!
A good description by the podiatrist of the diagnosis and need for orthotics as treatment probably makes a big difference. In my case it was 'Custom made orthotic inserts for the treatment of bi-lateral heel-spur syndrome.' It's ironic that if his description had been more careless, he would have gotten more money, but from me, not my insurance...

joan on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010133)

I know a friend who works for a guy who makes these custon orthotics and receives his referrals from podiatrists. The markup that the podiatrist makes is anywhere from 200-350% of the bill the maker charges him. Just to enrage you all.....:o)

wendy on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010017)

We have CHAMPUS (military) and they paid 50%.

Maureen on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010018)

I have a Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO and they have paid (over several years) for 80% of three different orthotics. They paid for the most recent ones within the past 3 months. Maybe it has something to do with how the dr writes it up. I have osteoarthritis in my non-pf foot - it was operated on for a spur about 10 years ago. He told me the insurance company would pay for Celebrex for the osteoarthritis but not for the pf. So since I do have oa in my other foot, he feels justified in prescribing the Celebrex. Go figure!!

Lee on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010023)

As I've said before I am blessed with great insurance. It's a self administered plan. LA Fireman's Relief Association. It's one of the great benefits of my husband's job.

john a on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010102)

I went to a podiatrist who was in my plan (BCBS POS Plan), but went to a lot of trouble to try to be sure they would cover the $400 for the orthotics. Well, they did 'cover' it after all, but they only paid the podiatrist $40! Since he is in my plan, he can't bill me for the difference! Almost makes me feel sorry for the poor guy ;-) NOT!
A good description by the podiatrist of the diagnosis and need for orthotics as treatment probably makes a big difference. In my case it was 'Custom made orthotic inserts for the treatment of bi-lateral heel-spur syndrome.' It's ironic that if his description had been more careless, he would have gotten more money, but from me, not my insurance...

joan on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010133)

I know a friend who works for a guy who makes these custon orthotics and receives his referrals from podiatrists. The markup that the podiatrist makes is anywhere from 200-350% of the bill the maker charges him. Just to enrage you all.....:o)