Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone else have "Knock-Knees" out there?

Posted by Kara on 8/20/99 at 00:00 (010015)

I have been really paying attention to my posture lately and have realized I have pretty bad knock-knees, you know, when your knees are touching when standing, but your feet are about a foot apart. So the outside muscles of my calves are shrunk and weak, and the inside ones are overworked. PLUS this must put a strain on my arches and achilles tendons (and knees, and lower back!).

If anyone else out there has this problem, do you know of any stretches or exercies to help cure knock knees? I have a couple of stretches that help, but need more info!
Thanks

Re: Anyone else have "Knock-Knees" out there?

Sandra Z on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010042)

Kara: a sports medicine physical therapist who helped me a great deal told me my knees 'went in too far' when I walked, climbed stairs, and did the Precor Crosstrainer exercise machine. She told me to tuck my pelvis under, shoulders back, and walk with my toes out--a little like a duck, with my feet in a V. This, she said, was especially important when climbing stairs. Your knees should NOT cave in toward each other when you do stairs. You should place your feet on the stairs with your toes pointing out a bit, then when you step, keep your knee right over your foot. It was hard at first, changing my walk, but I did it and my heel felt better!

Re: Anyone else have "Knock-Knees" out there?

Sandra Z on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010042)

Kara: a sports medicine physical therapist who helped me a great deal told me my knees 'went in too far' when I walked, climbed stairs, and did the Precor Crosstrainer exercise machine. She told me to tuck my pelvis under, shoulders back, and walk with my toes out--a little like a duck, with my feet in a V. This, she said, was especially important when climbing stairs. Your knees should NOT cave in toward each other when you do stairs. You should place your feet on the stairs with your toes pointing out a bit, then when you step, keep your knee right over your foot. It was hard at first, changing my walk, but I did it and my heel felt better!