Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which stretching?

Posted by Wendy on 8/21/99 at 00:00 (010045)

It seems to me that there are two schools on stretches....1. says do them often 5-12 times per day for short periods (seconds) of time; and 2. says do them for prolonged periods of time (2-5 min. each) several times a day. I wonder which is the most successful and do-able. I would like to hear your thoughts. (I have been doing the second option since I saw the orthopaedic doctor in July. I felt a great deal of improvement at first, but has slowed down.)

Re: Which stretching?

Beth on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010056)

Wendy,

I think the prolonged stretches work the best. I've been trying to do 5 minutes for each stretch 3x a day. The stretches I do are: 1. bent leg for the soleus on the Foot Flex 2. straight leg for the gastrock on the Foot Flex 3. sitting on the floor and leaning over each leg with the other leg bent and pulling on my foot and 4. lying on the floor with one leg bent and the other trying to stamp the ceiling. So that's 20 minutes 3x a day.

Beth

Re: Which stretching?

Beth on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010056)

Wendy,

I think the prolonged stretches work the best. I've been trying to do 5 minutes for each stretch 3x a day. The stretches I do are: 1. bent leg for the soleus on the Foot Flex 2. straight leg for the gastrock on the Foot Flex 3. sitting on the floor and leaning over each leg with the other leg bent and pulling on my foot and 4. lying on the floor with one leg bent and the other trying to stamp the ceiling. So that's 20 minutes 3x a day.

Beth