Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Okay Carol E., Gordon, and others I am a convert

Posted by Sarah on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010057)

When you all proclaimed such success w/ Atkins I was very skeptical. i had done the diet (prior to feet pain) and while I lost some weight I was bored with it. I mean what good is peanutbutter w/o the bread? However, when my personal trainer took me off of breads and pasta (not sugar, fruits or vegetables). I was willing to go with it because I am paying him a lot of money and because of his explanation of lactic acid giveen off by bread which stores itself in muscles and causes soreness and fluid retention. I started this on Friday 8/20 and I can already say my feet feel substantially better!!!! I drink a lot of water at night which results in me having to go to the bathroom aroun 3:00 a.m.. I almost always slip into slippers w/orthodics because my feet are sore and the muscles/tendon have tightened up. If I am too tired to find slippers I hobble painfully to the bathroom. Anyway, this morning 8/22 around 3:00 a.m. I got up to go, put feet on the ground, and they weren't tight. I was able to walk heel to toe to the bathroom and back like regular old self. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I am sorry that I doubted your personal experiences. I will keep you posted to progressions w/ personal trainer and feet as they occur. I am also reading a book a friend gave me called Potatoes not Prozac which explains the physical addiction of sugar. It is very interesting.

Re: Okay Carol E., Gordon, and others I am a convert

Lou on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010066)

I'm starting Atkins tomorrow. I need to lose weight and my triglycerides are high, but the thought that I might get rid of this PF pain is the real motivator.

Beth on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010073)

Sarah,

I tried the Atkins approach and failed by noon the first day. You stated that your trainer took you off breads and pasta but not sugar, fruit, or veggies. Please tell me more! What do you eat for breakfast? Is cereal ok? How much fruit are you eating? I think a modified approach like you say you are doing would be possible for me. Do you take in any dairy products? You can e-mail me at: (email removed) if you want to. I'm very interested in hearing. Thanks,

Beth

Roberta on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010075)

Hi Beth

I would start off with reducing the amount of white flour (pasta, breads etc) and sugar you eat. Try to focus on eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Cereals are highly variable. Some are great. Some have nothing in them any human should be eating. Look for cereals without any sweetening at all, or better yet, try oatmeal, or a multi grain hot cereal. It's really hard to give up wheat and sugar - mostly because our society is so overwhelmed by them. I would recommend taking it slowly. Go to a health food store and try new grains you've never tried before (mostly of them cook like rice for various lengths of time). Try to move away from processed food.

I personally, have fruit in the morning, then some type of a grain around 10 or 11. Then veggies and a protein source around 1 or 2. Or else i will do the protien earlier and the grain later. Of course if you have a yeast problem (see some of Gordon's posts) you won't want to do fruit much at all. But anyhow, start simple.

wendy on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010114)

What happens after you are on this diet, apparently cured, and you decide to eat normally again? Do the aches and pains come back? Or is this a lifetime thing?

I'm not a proponent of any type of diet as I don't think they work over the long haul. People just want to eat normally and will eventually to back to the more typical diet. Also, I don't see many folks who do eat normally going around with PF or other types of acute diseases. Since so many PF sufferers have mentioned a need to lose weight, and unfortunately you can count me among that group, isn't that a telling statistic regarding just the need to lose weight and relationship to PF?

Please tell me if I am wrong....or you just don't agree.

Roberta on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010131)

'Normal' is relative. What americans consider 'normal' is killing them. I think we need to start rethinking normal as a society. Twenty percent of Americans have type II diabetes and no offense to anyone but most of that is the result of diet and lack of excercise.

Lou on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010066)

I'm starting Atkins tomorrow. I need to lose weight and my triglycerides are high, but the thought that I might get rid of this PF pain is the real motivator.

Beth on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010073)

Sarah,

I tried the Atkins approach and failed by noon the first day. You stated that your trainer took you off breads and pasta but not sugar, fruit, or veggies. Please tell me more! What do you eat for breakfast? Is cereal ok? How much fruit are you eating? I think a modified approach like you say you are doing would be possible for me. Do you take in any dairy products? You can e-mail me at: (email removed) if you want to. I'm very interested in hearing. Thanks,

Beth

Roberta on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010075)

Hi Beth

I would start off with reducing the amount of white flour (pasta, breads etc) and sugar you eat. Try to focus on eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Cereals are highly variable. Some are great. Some have nothing in them any human should be eating. Look for cereals without any sweetening at all, or better yet, try oatmeal, or a multi grain hot cereal. It's really hard to give up wheat and sugar - mostly because our society is so overwhelmed by them. I would recommend taking it slowly. Go to a health food store and try new grains you've never tried before (mostly of them cook like rice for various lengths of time). Try to move away from processed food.

I personally, have fruit in the morning, then some type of a grain around 10 or 11. Then veggies and a protein source around 1 or 2. Or else i will do the protien earlier and the grain later. Of course if you have a yeast problem (see some of Gordon's posts) you won't want to do fruit much at all. But anyhow, start simple.

wendy on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010114)

What happens after you are on this diet, apparently cured, and you decide to eat normally again? Do the aches and pains come back? Or is this a lifetime thing?

I'm not a proponent of any type of diet as I don't think they work over the long haul. People just want to eat normally and will eventually to back to the more typical diet. Also, I don't see many folks who do eat normally going around with PF or other types of acute diseases. Since so many PF sufferers have mentioned a need to lose weight, and unfortunately you can count me among that group, isn't that a telling statistic regarding just the need to lose weight and relationship to PF?

Please tell me if I am wrong....or you just don't agree.

Roberta on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010131)

'Normal' is relative. What americans consider 'normal' is killing them. I think we need to start rethinking normal as a society. Twenty percent of Americans have type II diabetes and no offense to anyone but most of that is the result of diet and lack of excercise.