Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Surgery - crutches/recovery

Posted by wendy2 on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010080)

John - how long are you looking at for recovery? Did you say 3 weeks on crutches? How long until one could expect to go back to work? When I had a bunion operated on 8 years ago, I was on crutches for about the first 10 days. You do adjust, but things like stairs are not easy to negotiate. I got to learn in the middle of winter on ice. It was interesting.

John on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010098)

my sense is that the doctor wants you to stay off your feet the first couple of days as much as possible and then it is what ever you can tolerate or negotiate with your crutches. i guess you could go back to work in a few days if you did not have to be on your feet. I will let you know. today my stomach is in knots in anticipation. i report to outpatient surgery at 7am tommorrow and surgery begins a 9am. about 1.5 hour procedure. i am an active, fidgety person anyway and being confined to bed is going to be hard to adjust to. your foot is rather heavily bandaged and i asked him how do i ice the foot & he said just keep it elevated as it did not want the bandages to get wet.

John on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010098)

my sense is that the doctor wants you to stay off your feet the first couple of days as much as possible and then it is what ever you can tolerate or negotiate with your crutches. i guess you could go back to work in a few days if you did not have to be on your feet. I will let you know. today my stomach is in knots in anticipation. i report to outpatient surgery at 7am tommorrow and surgery begins a 9am. about 1.5 hour procedure. i am an active, fidgety person anyway and being confined to bed is going to be hard to adjust to. your foot is rather heavily bandaged and i asked him how do i ice the foot & he said just keep it elevated as it did not want the bandages to get wet.