Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

further comments for Lou and Beth and others

Posted by Sarah on 8/22/99 at 00:00 (010087)

Beth-
It is too soon to say how all of this eating/menu issue will end up with my personal trainer. He said that we are starting with the elimination of pasta and bread for now and sugar will come later. He also said that we will eventually add back some carbs which must be eaten prior to 2:00 p.m.. I don't know as of yet what carbs those will be but I imagine they will be complex; like wheat and brown rice. This is just a guess. He does not want me to count calories. At this point he hasn't told me to eliminate fats (butter), dairy, or any meats. He told me to eat veggies (all kinds even potatoes), fruits, and lean meats such as fish or chicken. I will see him again Wednesday to begin weight training and exercise regime with my feet in mind. I am currently keeping a food journal which he will look at then and am sure he will tell me all I am doing wrong. I have been eating eggs, skim milk, fruit, yogurt, potatoes, and salad and chicken. I haven't been very good because I have been wrapped up in getting my classroom ready. I do trust him though. Besides the fact that my friend is going to him and she has back problems which he has worked directly with her dr. about, he holds a 4 year degree in kineseology (sp.), played for Michigan, and then for the New England Patriots. He is in amazing shape. He is a certified sports trainer.

Lou- He DOES NOT ADVOCATE THE ATDKINS PLAN, but he does advocate eliminating breads and pasta from your diet. Like I said, my feet have been feeling better and I have had potatoes and cantelope. This is not allowed on the earliest days of the Adtkins. I merely wanted to confirm what many here have been reporting with elimination of carbs and pain relief. I am in no way cured but feeling better, and I would advocate this simple diet change to all.

Hello Roberta- Beth, what she says makes sense about diet. Roberta is studying Nutrition and is working on her Master's degree. Roberta, check out this book Potatoes Not Prozac. It is very interesting and discusses sugar addiction.

FYI- Also, I met with my tennis pro today for a small lesson to see if I could cut it this year and I was explaining this carb elimination and how carbs relaes lactice acid in body which results in muscle cramping and fluid retention. She shows/races horses and said the same thing happens to them. As a horse trainer they constantly monitor lactic acid levels and when a horse cramps up they immeadiately bring the truck to the horse so as not to further damage its muscles. Interesting huh?? She also mention that the same is true of selinium and if your diet is too low in this mineral muscles and cramp and become sore. I will ask trainer about selinium.

Good luck to all and I will keep you posted as to progress.

Re: further comments for Lou and Beth and others

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010244)

Sarah,
I am very interested and hope you will keep us posted. You might keep a week by week diary of the foods you eliminate and the response of your body. I do not have the money for a trainer since I can not working at this time, but I think I need to make some changes in diet. I read on the net about the effects of stimulants on brain chemistry and the domino effect it causes in the body. It said a high carb/high sugar diet as well as caffiene is considered stimulants and become addictive etc. Stay with it!

Re: further comments for Lou and Beth and others

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010244)

Sarah,
I am very interested and hope you will keep us posted. You might keep a week by week diary of the foods you eliminate and the response of your body. I do not have the money for a trainer since I can not working at this time, but I think I need to make some changes in diet. I read on the net about the effects of stimulants on brain chemistry and the domino effect it causes in the body. It said a high carb/high sugar diet as well as caffiene is considered stimulants and become addictive etc. Stay with it!