Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Jenn, could you explain exactly what was done?

Posted by michael on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010101)

Jenn, I hope you are feeling better every day. Having read a previous posting of yours I contacted and now have an appointment to see Dr. Galea in mid-September. I've had pf for over ten years, twice tried surgery, and so I'll go see anyone who might offer me some hope! I have no idea what the doctor might suggest for me, but could you give us a bit more detail what the orthotripsy procedure was like? Did Dr. Galea give you a description of how the procedure effects pf? How did it feel while it was being done? When did your pain start? Could you leave the office on your own? Have you been on crutches? Were you ready for it to hurt as you much as you say it has?
Thank you.

Jenn on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010108)

Hi, well, I've had pf for 3 years. it did not become debilitating until this last year. I play rugby and was very active, running 25 miles a week, weight training, hills and sprints and stairs, etc.When it became debilitating, I had to stop everything. I have not run since November 1. I have tried: icing, orthotics, nsaids, 5 cortizone shots, oral steriods, reflaxen, night splint, heel cups, heel pads, birkenstocks, and a cast for 6 weeks with cruchtes.

So, you know my point of aggravation. Thursday when I arrived in Toronto I had an ultraound preformed. Took 5 minutes. They wanted to measure the thickness of my pf. Mine was 6 mm. It is only suppose to be 2-3mm. The next day, I was given 2 shots in my foot. One was in the nerve between my ankle and my heel. Then when that took effect, they gave me another shot directly into heel. The actual procedure took about 15 minutes. I did not feel anything at all until the end. I didnot feel it on my heel, but rather inside my ankle. On the other side of my foot. It was painful. I was able to stand it. I was able to walk out of the office. I was not allowed to limp. You are suppose to walk on it. No crutches, no aspirin, no ibuprofen allowed. The first week after was bad. Very bad. After that it was bad, but if you've had pf for a long time, then you can deal with this. It's week 6 and I think it is getting better. I'll keep you postes. If you want more info e-mail me: hearley@ibm.net

Jenn on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010108)

Hi, well, I've had pf for 3 years. it did not become debilitating until this last year. I play rugby and was very active, running 25 miles a week, weight training, hills and sprints and stairs, etc.When it became debilitating, I had to stop everything. I have not run since November 1. I have tried: icing, orthotics, nsaids, 5 cortizone shots, oral steriods, reflaxen, night splint, heel cups, heel pads, birkenstocks, and a cast for 6 weeks with cruchtes.

So, you know my point of aggravation. Thursday when I arrived in Toronto I had an ultraound preformed. Took 5 minutes. They wanted to measure the thickness of my pf. Mine was 6 mm. It is only suppose to be 2-3mm. The next day, I was given 2 shots in my foot. One was in the nerve between my ankle and my heel. Then when that took effect, they gave me another shot directly into heel. The actual procedure took about 15 minutes. I did not feel anything at all until the end. I didnot feel it on my heel, but rather inside my ankle. On the other side of my foot. It was painful. I was able to stand it. I was able to walk out of the office. I was not allowed to limp. You are suppose to walk on it. No crutches, no aspirin, no ibuprofen allowed. The first week after was bad. Very bad. After that it was bad, but if you've had pf for a long time, then you can deal with this. It's week 6 and I think it is getting better. I'll keep you postes. If you want more info e-mail me: hearley@ibm.net