Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Not all PF sufferers need to loose weight

Posted by Gordon on 8/23/99 at 00:00 (010117)

Many PF sufferers are, or were, very active and in good shape when the PF began.

This is not a 'diet' diet, this is a long term change of lifestyle. (unless you solve the root cause) If you've had the problem long enough and it is painful enough, you will eventually learn that whatever it takes, you will do for however long it takes.

THe fact that many people begin feeling better within a week of starting a low carb(complex carbs allowed) diet is an indicator that the problem is more than just a weight issue. The weight just aggrivates the problem.

In my opinion the fact that the diet makes a difference is an indicator that there is something wrong in your digestive system. For me, I have been diagnosed with a bacterial parasite and an intestinal yeast overgrowth by Great Smokies Lab (check the net). I have managed to lower this problem but it does come back when I change my diet back so I have not killed the buggers yet.

The reason for the existance of the yeast is probably due to anti-biotics killing off the natural bacteria in my gut.

I believe that many of the chronic sufferers are probably in the same boat as me or have some similar condition that interferes with proper digestion.

I recommend that everyone get tested and see. I've been working at this 3 years and it is the only explanation that has worked out.

I was walking barefoot much of the weekend lifting small sailboats and feeling great and I had it is bad as it it gets for 2 years.

IF this only works for me I will be very sad.

Gordon

Re: Not all PF sufferers need to loose weight to Wendy

Sarah on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010120)

Wendy, you're not getting what I said. Yes, I need to loose weight, but Gordon is right in that not all pf sufferers need to loose weight. This diet is not a diet in the sense of the 1990's definition of a diet which is one to loose weight. This is a diet in the sense that humans were not born to eat all of this overprocessed, sodium filled, preservative injected food. I never said that I was going to be off of breads and pasta forever. This was the first step my personal trainer gave me in shifting my metabolism and relasing the lactic acid that has been stored in my muscles due to a diet rich in white bread, sugar, and prepackaged food. He DOES NOT want me to reduce my caloric intake or count fat grams. In fact I have been eating carbohydrates: potatoes, peas, sugar, beans, and nuts. He recommended that I eat fish, chicken, veggies, fruits, dairy products, and other fresh foods.

My grandmother was a diebetic and this was not much different than the American Diabetes Assc. diet she was on which significantly limits fruits, juices, and breads. My family physician said the Am. Diab. Assc. diet is one that a family should follow because it is quite healthy. He (personl trainer)said that he will permit me eventually to consume some bread. I meet with him again on Wednesday to begin weight training and I am sure he will look at my food diary and have a coronary and begin shifting my diet in another direction.

I in no way said I was cured. I don't believe I will ever be cured. I will just be able to manage the pain in a tolerable way. My feet are still feeling significant improvement and I have been working on them all day for 8-10 hours setting up my classroom and I played tennis for 45 minutes on Sunday. I am still icing and rubbing ibuprofen cream on them in addition to not eating bread and pasta, but I can honestly say that they feel the best they have felt in two years.

There must be something to this. Whether it is the lactic acid belief or the leaky gut philosophy I don't know. I was a skeptic, but now I am a believer from my own personal experience. All I can say is that it won't kill you to give up breads and pasta for a week to see if you feel better. I only did it because I am paying my personal trainer a lot of $ not to follow his advice, not because of anything I read here. Quite frankly, I thought Gordon and the rest were desperate and reaching for things that merely acted as a placebo for them (no offense). So I read there advice and moved on. Anyway, good luck and I will keep you posted if you wish.

Sarah

Re: Not all PF sufferers need to loose weight to Wendy

Sarah on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010120)

Wendy, you're not getting what I said. Yes, I need to loose weight, but Gordon is right in that not all pf sufferers need to loose weight. This diet is not a diet in the sense of the 1990's definition of a diet which is one to loose weight. This is a diet in the sense that humans were not born to eat all of this overprocessed, sodium filled, preservative injected food. I never said that I was going to be off of breads and pasta forever. This was the first step my personal trainer gave me in shifting my metabolism and relasing the lactic acid that has been stored in my muscles due to a diet rich in white bread, sugar, and prepackaged food. He DOES NOT want me to reduce my caloric intake or count fat grams. In fact I have been eating carbohydrates: potatoes, peas, sugar, beans, and nuts. He recommended that I eat fish, chicken, veggies, fruits, dairy products, and other fresh foods.

My grandmother was a diebetic and this was not much different than the American Diabetes Assc. diet she was on which significantly limits fruits, juices, and breads. My family physician said the Am. Diab. Assc. diet is one that a family should follow because it is quite healthy. He (personl trainer)said that he will permit me eventually to consume some bread. I meet with him again on Wednesday to begin weight training and I am sure he will look at my food diary and have a coronary and begin shifting my diet in another direction.

I in no way said I was cured. I don't believe I will ever be cured. I will just be able to manage the pain in a tolerable way. My feet are still feeling significant improvement and I have been working on them all day for 8-10 hours setting up my classroom and I played tennis for 45 minutes on Sunday. I am still icing and rubbing ibuprofen cream on them in addition to not eating bread and pasta, but I can honestly say that they feel the best they have felt in two years.

There must be something to this. Whether it is the lactic acid belief or the leaky gut philosophy I don't know. I was a skeptic, but now I am a believer from my own personal experience. All I can say is that it won't kill you to give up breads and pasta for a week to see if you feel better. I only did it because I am paying my personal trainer a lot of $ not to follow his advice, not because of anything I read here. Quite frankly, I thought Gordon and the rest were desperate and reaching for things that merely acted as a placebo for them (no offense). So I read there advice and moved on. Anyway, good luck and I will keep you posted if you wish.

Sarah