Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What if. . . . .

Posted by Carol E. on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010123)

you were just diagnosed with diabetes and your doctor told you that you had to make certain dietary changes to prolong your life? What if you were just diagnosed as being lactose intolerant and the doctor told you that you don't digest milk products properly and you need to avoid them. (I could go on and on with what ifs.) Would you continue to eat the way you have always eaten anyway, just because you want to? It is true, there is no magic diet that will cause you to lose weight and never gain it back. There never will be! I love Coke, cookies, cakes, pies, breads, cinnamon rolls, etc. etc. as much as the next guy---but they make me miserable. We all make choices in life. I have decided that I am not going to MAKE myself miserable any more. Yes, I have decided to make a lifestyle change---for the rest of my life. As I get closer to my desired weight, I will add back in a FEW whole grains and complex carbohydrates but I will never allow myself to resume my former eating habits. I will forever limit the sugar and white flour I eat because I feel better and my foot feels better when I do.

I only mentioned that my foot feels better on this low-carb diet because I thought it might help someone else---not to be ridiculed. No one is trying to get you to do it---or any diet if you chose not to. Everyone has a limit beyond which they are not willing to go, no matter the benefit. If this is yours, then keep doing what you have always done(and you'll keep getting what you've always gotten).