Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nodules and calcified spurs vs. "torn" faciial ligament??

Posted by Karen on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010137)

This is confusing. I was told that I had overstressed the fasciial ligament and the fibers had 'torn' (frayed, maybe?) and the resultant scar was the thickening. One dr (othopaedic) said that an actual calcified spur on the heel is something else entirely. Any thoughts??

Re: Nodules and calcified spurs vs. "torn" faciial ligament??

Roelinde on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010165)

Hello Karen,

From what I understand now, the thickening of the fascia as a result from scar tissue due to overstressing (you), or as a result from the formation of the nodules (my mother) are two different causes. The result (heelpain), I suppose may be quite similar. The formation of these nodules as in the case of my mother is not due to overstressing the fascia, but is something that happens by itself and can be heriditary (from now on I certainly will be very careful with my own feet!).

I remember I read a long time ago some comments from people on this message board about thickening of the fascia (I can't find these messages), and this made me think that it might be possible that more people who think they have PF might in fact suffer from the same condition as my mother, plantar fibromatosis.

Roelinde

Andrea on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010183)

Karen,
Do you have 'plantar fascitis' or is overstressing the fascia a whole different subject. Or did overstressing lead to the development of PF?

The reason I ask is I am a suffer but don't think I have the traditional PF because my symptoms are not exactly common. My doctors have mentioned 'overstressed' fascia with me (they are trying to find a reason for my pain).

Roelinde on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010165)

Hello Karen,

From what I understand now, the thickening of the fascia as a result from scar tissue due to overstressing (you), or as a result from the formation of the nodules (my mother) are two different causes. The result (heelpain), I suppose may be quite similar. The formation of these nodules as in the case of my mother is not due to overstressing the fascia, but is something that happens by itself and can be heriditary (from now on I certainly will be very careful with my own feet!).

I remember I read a long time ago some comments from people on this message board about thickening of the fascia (I can't find these messages), and this made me think that it might be possible that more people who think they have PF might in fact suffer from the same condition as my mother, plantar fibromatosis.

Roelinde

Andrea on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010183)

Karen,
Do you have 'plantar fascitis' or is overstressing the fascia a whole different subject. Or did overstressing lead to the development of PF?

The reason I ask is I am a suffer but don't think I have the traditional PF because my symptoms are not exactly common. My doctors have mentioned 'overstressed' fascia with me (they are trying to find a reason for my pain).