Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can orthotics cause PF?

Posted by Helene on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010141)

It seems every pair of custom orthotics (3 pairs)I have gotten in the past few years eventually irritate my arches & cause a flare-up of PF (swollen arches). When that happens, I can't wear them at all until the swelling goes down. Yet I know I need to wear orthotics because I eventually get heel pain/arch strain if I don't. I thought orthotics were supposed to PREVENT p.f. by controlling foot motion. Does anyone else have this problem or am I alone in this vicious cycle? My drs. have not been much help with this. It's most frustrating!

Re: Can orthotics cause PF?

Sarah on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010153)

I have had mine adjusted about 3 times this year. When pain flares up take them to your doc for and adjustment because like shoes they wear down. It should be a free adjustment. My feet feel better after the change/fix.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010295)

indeed, i have read that custom orthotics or any orthotic can worsen a condition of PF. one should know exactly what the intent of the orthotic is before using it. i have read some studies that indicated patients with off the shelf orthotics have done better than people with custom orthotics. the first poditrist i ever saw had me casted for orthotics before I could say uncle ($400) and had an injection in his hand which I refused. scotts statistics indicate orthotics satisfy around 60% of users in some fashion or other.

Sarah on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010153)

I have had mine adjusted about 3 times this year. When pain flares up take them to your doc for and adjustment because like shoes they wear down. It should be a free adjustment. My feet feel better after the change/fix.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010295)

indeed, i have read that custom orthotics or any orthotic can worsen a condition of PF. one should know exactly what the intent of the orthotic is before using it. i have read some studies that indicated patients with off the shelf orthotics have done better than people with custom orthotics. the first poditrist i ever saw had me casted for orthotics before I could say uncle ($400) and had an injection in his hand which I refused. scotts statistics indicate orthotics satisfy around 60% of users in some fashion or other.