Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bromelain report

Posted by Robin on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010144)

I am one of those people who prefers non-invasive treatments for PF and am willing to commit to them on a long-term basis.

I started Bromelain in late July and almost immediately saw some difference in reduction of pain. I have been taking glucosamine sulfate since last December, and while it has helped some, I can't rave about it. For now, I continue to take it -- but for how long is questionable. My diet is basically big-time boring -- mostly fish, vegetables, some fruits, a little chicken, -- no bread, no pasta, no refined flour products, no processed foods, no fast foods, just about zero sugar, no caffeine. Boring. Also, I'm a Birk fanatic.

Personally, I changed the diet long before the Bromelain -- and I don't think it helped much at all. Maybe a tad. I know lots of people on the board feel no carb or low carb is the major determinant of pain, but for me -- I don't think so. But for the past month on Bromelain, my pain has been considerably reduced to the point where I can go mall shopping or to a craft fair on the weekend and not be in tears by nightfall. I think that's a big improvement. At least a start in the right direction.

Re: Bromelain report

Bea on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010145)

What is Bromelain? Prescription?

Scott on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010148)

Bea, it's mentioned in the main document of this website in the introduction and two more times in the nutritional supplement section. Click on the link at the very top of the message board index that says 'Scott's 20 pages on plantar fasciitis'

Robin on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010166)

Bromelain is one of those 'dietary supplements.' Non-prescription and available through health food stores. I bought mine through the Vitamin Shoppe. Dosage can be a complicated issue. Right now I am taking 1,500 mg., although proper dosage is based on gel-disolving units. I am taking about 1,800 GDUs. Taking it in between meals seems to work pretty well for me.

Bea on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010145)

What is Bromelain? Prescription?

Scott on 8/24/99 at 00:00 (010148)

Bea, it's mentioned in the main document of this website in the introduction and two more times in the nutritional supplement section. Click on the link at the very top of the message board index that says 'Scott's 20 pages on plantar fasciitis'

Robin on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010166)

Bromelain is one of those 'dietary supplements.' Non-prescription and available through health food stores. I bought mine through the Vitamin Shoppe. Dosage can be a complicated issue. Right now I am taking 1,500 mg., although proper dosage is based on gel-disolving units. I am taking about 1,800 GDUs. Taking it in between meals seems to work pretty well for me.