Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone else developed knee problems/chondromalacia?

Posted by Jane B. on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010172)

I have developed chondromalacia of left knee, has anyone else?

Re: Has anyone else developed knee problems/chondromalacia?

pete on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010193)

yep, i have knee problems...if you have plantar fasciitis long enough, i think you stand a chance of developing other joint problems because of your altered gait.

Marlene on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010219)

I am having pain in both knees as a result of trying to alleviate my heel pain. I have days when my hips hurt too. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010265)

Yes I have, in both knees. I'm fairly certain it is a result of wearing orthotics and Birks which have 'realigned' my body. I am thinking of using knee straps I found on the net at kneesupport.com, but I'll probably check with my dr first. Also, I think this problem can be helped with proper strengthening and stretching of the quads and hams. I think itcan be a problem very similar to 'tennis elbow' Consult a dance or sport physiologist at at local university if you can. I have friends who are exercise scientists who have given me great weight liting exercises and stretches. THese folks seem to be in the business of helping people keep ALONG with eliminating pain.

Joanne on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010280)

Why is it that no dooctors seem to consider the gait problem. I too have developed knee and hip pain on the Rt. side. I have pf on the Lt. I am convinced that they all have something to do with each other.

Re: Has anyone else developed knee problems/chondromalacia?/ To: Vicki

Jane B. on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010313)

Vicki,
Thanks for feedback. I have been doing strengthening and stretching of quads and hams but not for very long. I will continue to do them but have not seen a change in pain yet. I have only had this a few months and doc wants to operate but I know better than to do that yet. Has the exercise helped you? Just for future reference, have you heard of any results of surgery for this?. This naturally would be a very last resort for me. I too believe it is a result of my orthotics.

Vicki on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010344)

Jane B.
Exercise and stretching hasn't helped my knees yet, but massaging them while sitting helps a lot when I go to stand up. ANd I've only been lifting the weights for a couple of weeks. do you have pain in both knees or one more than the other...hip and/back pain too? Have you had yourself measured by a chiropractor or PT to make sure it is not an issue of one leg being longer than the other? A person I know was all set to have back surgery before a smart PT thought to measure her...a small lift in one shoe 'cured' her of the horrendous back pain. Yes, there is surgery for Chondromalacia, but I would do everything else first...including the braces found at http://www.kneesupport.com...then clicking on the chondromalacia link. I'm going to order something this week from them...the simplest ones I think
Good Luck

Jane B. on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010351)

Vicki,
Thanks for all the info. I have it in one knee. Occasional back pain but nothing to speak of. I do have a one leg longer than the other and had that adjusted into my orthotics when they made them. I will definately try a brace. If you find something that helps please let me know. I am going to avoid surgery as long as possible. Again, thanks and good luck.

lisa on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010400)

I have the same problem. I think it is from the way you walk to protect your bad foot. My ankle, knee, and hip all hurt.

pete on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010193)

yep, i have knee problems...if you have plantar fasciitis long enough, i think you stand a chance of developing other joint problems because of your altered gait.

Marlene on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010219)

I am having pain in both knees as a result of trying to alleviate my heel pain. I have days when my hips hurt too. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010265)

Yes I have, in both knees. I'm fairly certain it is a result of wearing orthotics and Birks which have 'realigned' my body. I am thinking of using knee straps I found on the net at kneesupport.com, but I'll probably check with my dr first. Also, I think this problem can be helped with proper strengthening and stretching of the quads and hams. I think itcan be a problem very similar to 'tennis elbow' Consult a dance or sport physiologist at at local university if you can. I have friends who are exercise scientists who have given me great weight liting exercises and stretches. THese folks seem to be in the business of helping people keep ALONG with eliminating pain.

Joanne on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010280)

Why is it that no dooctors seem to consider the gait problem. I too have developed knee and hip pain on the Rt. side. I have pf on the Lt. I am convinced that they all have something to do with each other.

Jane B. on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010313)

Vicki,
Thanks for feedback. I have been doing strengthening and stretching of quads and hams but not for very long. I will continue to do them but have not seen a change in pain yet. I have only had this a few months and doc wants to operate but I know better than to do that yet. Has the exercise helped you? Just for future reference, have you heard of any results of surgery for this?. This naturally would be a very last resort for me. I too believe it is a result of my orthotics.

Vicki on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010344)

Jane B.
Exercise and stretching hasn't helped my knees yet, but massaging them while sitting helps a lot when I go to stand up. ANd I've only been lifting the weights for a couple of weeks. do you have pain in both knees or one more than the other...hip and/back pain too? Have you had yourself measured by a chiropractor or PT to make sure it is not an issue of one leg being longer than the other? A person I know was all set to have back surgery before a smart PT thought to measure her...a small lift in one shoe 'cured' her of the horrendous back pain. Yes, there is surgery for Chondromalacia, but I would do everything else first...including the braces found at http://www.kneesupport.com...then clicking on the chondromalacia link. I'm going to order something this week from them...the simplest ones I think
Good Luck

Jane B. on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010351)

Vicki,
Thanks for all the info. I have it in one knee. Occasional back pain but nothing to speak of. I do have a one leg longer than the other and had that adjusted into my orthotics when they made them. I will definately try a brace. If you find something that helps please let me know. I am going to avoid surgery as long as possible. Again, thanks and good luck.

lisa on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010400)

I have the same problem. I think it is from the way you walk to protect your bad foot. My ankle, knee, and hip all hurt.