Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dressy shoes with ortho's???

Posted by Judy on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010191)

Have been suffering from P.F. for approx 6 mos. and finally got my first set of ortho's. I have been wearing them faithfully for the last 2 wks. in my New Balance sneakers. Now I would desperatly like to purchase some other shoes like pumps,loafers, etc. Question: I keep reading about all the other shoes like Eccos, Mephisto's, etc.Do you wear these shoes with Orthotics or are these shoes that you wear if you don't have orthotics? And if you wear your ortho's with your 'dressy' shoes, what kind of shoes should I be looking for? Thanks.

Re: Dressy shoes with ortho's??? Careful of SAS

el on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010194)

I have found the best shoes for support of orthotics to be the extra depth ones that accomodate orthotics (Drew, PW Minor). They work because they have a very stable heel and side (called a long counter). New Balance work because they also have the added support in the heel area. Some of the extra depth shoes are dressy. Be careful of the SAS shoes because they are soft in the heel and sides. For me they did not provide the needed support for my heel and the side of my foot. I developed PF while wearing them..mostly the freetime which is their walking shoe. Good luck.

Re: Dressy shoes with ortho's???

Lou on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010197)

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm really struggling with the dress shoe question. I tried my arch supports in some shoes and found it raised my foot too high. I have one pair of Birks that I don't use anything in (most comfortable pair of shoes I own--Florida) and a pair of Arizonas that I do put in arch support. But those aren't appropriate for work. I would like to be able to wear a low-heeled pump but haven't found anybody who can recommend one.

iris on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010201)

hi,
i just bought several pair of shoes yesterday in an attempt to find something to wear when i return to school. because of my heel spurs, i cannot wear birks however i have found mephiso sandals to be WONDERFUL and just purchased their ugly walking shoe (i do not have to wear a sock with them!) and dansko clogs which are wonderfully comfortable, not dressy but not very ugly either. i have been in sneakers with socks since april. the dansko clogs i purchased have a back strap which can be flipped forward and then it looks like a decorative strap across the front. they come in several colors!

iris on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010202)

hi,
i agree that you have to be careful about sas shoes. i purchased and wore their sandals for a period of 6 hours and then i could not walk because of the pain. i had been wearing sneakers previously.

Lou on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010203)

Glad to hear the rec. on Mephistos and Danskos. I'm going shoe shopping tomorrow.

As you say, they aren't dressy.

So I keep coming back to my big question. Is there a dressy and/or professional shoe for women? What would you wear if you were going to the opera or to a job interview?

Has anybody tried Rockport pumps? I used to have a pair that were great, but that was before pf. I don't know how they'd be now.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010298)

received my new birkentstock catalog today with its complete new line of shoes. you can order by going to the birkenstock website. a lot more to choose from and more stylish.

el on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010194)

I have found the best shoes for support of orthotics to be the extra depth ones that accomodate orthotics (Drew, PW Minor). They work because they have a very stable heel and side (called a long counter). New Balance work because they also have the added support in the heel area. Some of the extra depth shoes are dressy. Be careful of the SAS shoes because they are soft in the heel and sides. For me they did not provide the needed support for my heel and the side of my foot. I developed PF while wearing them..mostly the freetime which is their walking shoe. Good luck.

Lou on 8/25/99 at 00:00 (010197)

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm really struggling with the dress shoe question. I tried my arch supports in some shoes and found it raised my foot too high. I have one pair of Birks that I don't use anything in (most comfortable pair of shoes I own--Florida) and a pair of Arizonas that I do put in arch support. But those aren't appropriate for work. I would like to be able to wear a low-heeled pump but haven't found anybody who can recommend one.

iris on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010201)

hi,
i just bought several pair of shoes yesterday in an attempt to find something to wear when i return to school. because of my heel spurs, i cannot wear birks however i have found mephiso sandals to be WONDERFUL and just purchased their ugly walking shoe (i do not have to wear a sock with them!) and dansko clogs which are wonderfully comfortable, not dressy but not very ugly either. i have been in sneakers with socks since april. the dansko clogs i purchased have a back strap which can be flipped forward and then it looks like a decorative strap across the front. they come in several colors!

iris on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010202)

hi,
i agree that you have to be careful about sas shoes. i purchased and wore their sandals for a period of 6 hours and then i could not walk because of the pain. i had been wearing sneakers previously.

Lou on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010203)

Glad to hear the rec. on Mephistos and Danskos. I'm going shoe shopping tomorrow.

As you say, they aren't dressy.

So I keep coming back to my big question. Is there a dressy and/or professional shoe for women? What would you wear if you were going to the opera or to a job interview?

Has anybody tried Rockport pumps? I used to have a pair that were great, but that was before pf. I don't know how they'd be now.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010298)

received my new birkentstock catalog today with its complete new line of shoes. you can order by going to the birkenstock website. a lot more to choose from and more stylish.