Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ADKINS AND CHOLESTEROL

Posted by KAREN on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010209)

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR CHOLESTEROL LEVELS ON THE ADKINS DIET? I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOWER LEVELS OF DIETARY FIBER THIS DRASTICALLY. THE LOW FAT/HIGH FIBER DIETS DON'T WORK FOR ME AND I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN TRYING THE ADKINS AGAIN, THE LAST TIME WAS ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. THIS TIME THOUGH I'M OLDER AND WISER AND NEED AN ANSWER RE CHOLESTEROL AND FIBER BEFORE I CAN MAKE THIS KIND OF COMMITMENT.
THANKS FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME.

Re: ADKINS AND CHOLESTEROL

Carol E. on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010212)

Amazingly, almost everyone's cholesterol levels go down significantly. The good ones(?HDL) increase and the bad ones(?LDL) go down. There have been many people who's triglycerides have dropped from many hundreds down to less than a hundred. I have seen several people on low-carb message boards who have been to the doctor for blood workups and the doctor has said, 'I don't know what you are doing but keep doing it!'

Low-carb diets contain lots of salad and lower carb vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans and others. I also drink down a couple of tablespoons of psyllium husk powder or flax seed meal in a glass of water every day which gives me even more fiber. I definitely am not short on fiber.

You might want to try the Protein Power Plan(by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades). It is almost the exact same thing as Atkins but not quite as strict. You can have 30 grams of carbohydrate as opposed to 20 on Atkins and you can have a bit of low carb fruits(read that as more sour fruits) such as strawberries and raspberries. I have read both books and do kind of a combination of the two(a bit less carbs, a bit more protein, and I occassionally like a couple of strawberries in my whey protein shake for lunch). You can get lots of information and advice on the forum at http://www.lowcarbcafe.com Good luck.

Re: ADKINS AND CHOLESTEROL

Carol E. on 8/26/99 at 00:00 (010212)

Amazingly, almost everyone's cholesterol levels go down significantly. The good ones(?HDL) increase and the bad ones(?LDL) go down. There have been many people who's triglycerides have dropped from many hundreds down to less than a hundred. I have seen several people on low-carb message boards who have been to the doctor for blood workups and the doctor has said, 'I don't know what you are doing but keep doing it!'

Low-carb diets contain lots of salad and lower carb vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans and others. I also drink down a couple of tablespoons of psyllium husk powder or flax seed meal in a glass of water every day which gives me even more fiber. I definitely am not short on fiber.

You might want to try the Protein Power Plan(by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades). It is almost the exact same thing as Atkins but not quite as strict. You can have 30 grams of carbohydrate as opposed to 20 on Atkins and you can have a bit of low carb fruits(read that as more sour fruits) such as strawberries and raspberries. I have read both books and do kind of a combination of the two(a bit less carbs, a bit more protein, and I occassionally like a couple of strawberries in my whey protein shake for lunch). You can get lots of information and advice on the forum at http://www.lowcarbcafe.com Good luck.