Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Celebrex-Bea-long message

Posted by joan on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010246)

Hi Bea--how long have you had your conditions? Was this all due to an injury or did it spontaneously arise? I've noticed your posts before stating that drugs simply mask the pain, and while I am having great success with Vioxx and do not plan to stop anytime soon, I agree that drugs alone do not bring about a permanent change in these conditions. However, I am interested in what has brought you relief. I am of the strong opinion that a drug used correctly in conjunction with other methods may help to enhance/promote the long-term healing process (and I DO mean LONG term!!). The fact is that as we get older, things take longer to heal. And anything to do with the feet will take even longer due to their location/decreased level of circulation compared with other areas of the body which are closer to the heart and are not so gravitationally-dependent. A simple cut on the finger will heal more quickly than that same cut on the foot. So, my long-term plan to keep me from going crazy is to realize and remember this, because pf is a lot worse than a small cut and conceivably COULD take years to heal. But I DO believe that healing can occur. When I was in my early twenties in college I jumped up and came down on my foot in a strange way and did some slight damage to the heelcord. It was barely noticeable, but it did take about six months till it disappeared completely. Once it was gone, it was gone. While the damage from pf is significantly worse, I really do believe that if I work in cooperation with my (slowly healing) body, I will recover to the point where the STRENGTH OF THE HEALING OUTWEIGHS THE REMAINDERS OF THE INJURY. This does not mean a return to total pre-injury condition but it does represent a very significant progress and I believe that I will be able to return to full running, dancing, hiking etc. I even hold out hope that I can return to soccer, but in my mind I do not foresee this for several years. While this is frustrating, I think I am more at peace with this now than I was a few months ago when I was still fighting psychologically the very fact that I was experiencing all this.. Now I have readjusted my game plan so I am more OK with the idea that I HAVE to let this heal over a period of one to two years of religious rehabbing. Anyway, I have rambled here, but I was actually wanting to know where you've been with this and to give you encouragement. But writing all this has helped me too, by helping me to clarify where I am at. (It is 4 a.m. here and a thunderstorm got me up!)

Fast Eddy on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010247)

I could not have said it better, A very positive approach Joan, keep up the fight!

Ed

Re: Celebrex-Bea-long message/Joan

Bea on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010312)

Hi, I appreciate your input. I have been suffering with this problem for over 2 years but have had trouble before particularly with heel spurs. They finally went away but this time I think I've had it. You must realize that I am 67 years old and have tried many things but I also have some experience with medications and I know the damage they can do. My mother had rheumatoid arthritus and was given Cortizone shots 40 years ago. They ruined her kidneys and cured squat. I know all these pills have side effects and everyone has to make these decisions themselves but I have just about decided that I am not going to risk extensive damage to my body trying to cure something. Many years ago I had breast cancer and had 5 weeks of radiation even tho the cancer had not spread to my lymph nodes. Later I found out that there is no statistical difference on getting radiation and not as far as survival is concerned. A friend of mine just went through the same thing and they are still not telling patients that the odds are the same. They want the money for the treatments, I believe and they are experimenting with you. I hate to sound so jaded but I have been given a lot of mickey mouse advise from doctors over the years and I am prone to do what feels right to me. I have been on this message board for quite awhile and it sometimes seems like witchcraft with some very strange suggestions. So good luck to everyone and do what feels right to you.

joan on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010317)

Bea--I sympathize with all the frustrating experiences you have had. I have been in that position also with regard to another medical thing in the past. While I think we all have to navigate our own waters individually and choose what is best for us, a universal law would be to KEEP YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN WHERE DOCTORS ARE CONCERNED. I am in the medical profession and work closely with doctors, in addition to having a childhood friend who went through medical school and saw it all. The MAJORITY are caring people, but they are all human and we must deal with them like any human we meet and do not know. Trust your instincts. Just because they went to medical school and absorbed vast amounts of information does not mean they are elevated to some higher plane of humanity. It behooves every health care consumer to get second, third and fourth opinions, to go to the library and look things up before and after doctor visits and treatments (if you are unsure where to start, ask your reference librarian--they love to help and will show you various books, etc.) Also, remember to trust yourself--your opinion counts too. I am surely not saying to doubt and distrust everybody you go to, but a certain amount of questioning lends more to your treatment than simple blind acceptance of what the doctor says. Believe me on this, everyone--my friend who went through medical school has told me stories of great caring characters and real a**holes, and they are all out there. The best thing you can do when you don't feel right about a doctor is to go to the inconvenience of scheduling a few more first visits with other doctors until you find one you do. Think of it as shopping for a house--if you see one that is 'OK' and that is all you see, you will mentally start to make allowances for it in your head, telling yourself that things you really don't like about it are liveable and you could buy it. But if you see ten houses, you will say 'Oh my gosh--I am SO glad we didn't take that first one--this one we are now buying is what we REALLY wanted!' Same with doctors, and a LOT more important! Of course, I don't go based on personality alone, even though that can be helpful. (My gastroenterologist is not someone I'd want to be friends with, but neither is he a jerk. Therefore, I sure will stick with him.)

Bea on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010322)

Joan, I really appreciate your taking the time with me. I did not mean to insinuate that all doctors are useless however there are so many factor they have to deal with in these days of spiraling health care costs. Hospitals are having such a difficult time finacially that I believe many decisions are being made that have nothing to do with health care just more to do with the bottom line. That is not a critique but simply a matter of fact, so I feel we have to be doubly on our guard to see that we are getting care that has a chance of succeeding and not just helping the medical community survive.

Fast Eddy on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010247)

I could not have said it better, A very positive approach Joan, keep up the fight!

Ed

Bea on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010312)

Hi, I appreciate your input. I have been suffering with this problem for over 2 years but have had trouble before particularly with heel spurs. They finally went away but this time I think I've had it. You must realize that I am 67 years old and have tried many things but I also have some experience with medications and I know the damage they can do. My mother had rheumatoid arthritus and was given Cortizone shots 40 years ago. They ruined her kidneys and cured squat. I know all these pills have side effects and everyone has to make these decisions themselves but I have just about decided that I am not going to risk extensive damage to my body trying to cure something. Many years ago I had breast cancer and had 5 weeks of radiation even tho the cancer had not spread to my lymph nodes. Later I found out that there is no statistical difference on getting radiation and not as far as survival is concerned. A friend of mine just went through the same thing and they are still not telling patients that the odds are the same. They want the money for the treatments, I believe and they are experimenting with you. I hate to sound so jaded but I have been given a lot of mickey mouse advise from doctors over the years and I am prone to do what feels right to me. I have been on this message board for quite awhile and it sometimes seems like witchcraft with some very strange suggestions. So good luck to everyone and do what feels right to you.

joan on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010317)

Bea--I sympathize with all the frustrating experiences you have had. I have been in that position also with regard to another medical thing in the past. While I think we all have to navigate our own waters individually and choose what is best for us, a universal law would be to KEEP YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN WHERE DOCTORS ARE CONCERNED. I am in the medical profession and work closely with doctors, in addition to having a childhood friend who went through medical school and saw it all. The MAJORITY are caring people, but they are all human and we must deal with them like any human we meet and do not know. Trust your instincts. Just because they went to medical school and absorbed vast amounts of information does not mean they are elevated to some higher plane of humanity. It behooves every health care consumer to get second, third and fourth opinions, to go to the library and look things up before and after doctor visits and treatments (if you are unsure where to start, ask your reference librarian--they love to help and will show you various books, etc.) Also, remember to trust yourself--your opinion counts too. I am surely not saying to doubt and distrust everybody you go to, but a certain amount of questioning lends more to your treatment than simple blind acceptance of what the doctor says. Believe me on this, everyone--my friend who went through medical school has told me stories of great caring characters and real a**holes, and they are all out there. The best thing you can do when you don't feel right about a doctor is to go to the inconvenience of scheduling a few more first visits with other doctors until you find one you do. Think of it as shopping for a house--if you see one that is 'OK' and that is all you see, you will mentally start to make allowances for it in your head, telling yourself that things you really don't like about it are liveable and you could buy it. But if you see ten houses, you will say 'Oh my gosh--I am SO glad we didn't take that first one--this one we are now buying is what we REALLY wanted!' Same with doctors, and a LOT more important! Of course, I don't go based on personality alone, even though that can be helpful. (My gastroenterologist is not someone I'd want to be friends with, but neither is he a jerk. Therefore, I sure will stick with him.)

Bea on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010322)

Joan, I really appreciate your taking the time with me. I did not mean to insinuate that all doctors are useless however there are so many factor they have to deal with in these days of spiraling health care costs. Hospitals are having such a difficult time finacially that I believe many decisions are being made that have nothing to do with health care just more to do with the bottom line. That is not a critique but simply a matter of fact, so I feel we have to be doubly on our guard to see that we are getting care that has a chance of succeeding and not just helping the medical community survive.