Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

it has been a long days night............. pain

Posted by John on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010257)

it has been a long days night! i am in less pain today than yesterday but cannot tell what the deal is under this cast. these post are worthy of collecting. we should rename this commedy central. 3 days since surgery and i am already going bonkers.

Re: it has been a long days night............. pain

wendy2 on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010281)

Glad to hear you're hanging in and getting reaquainted with your wife! Since I am facing possible TTS release myself - I am interested to know how the pain is..do you have a lot of nerve pain? Are you able to go without medication and sleep comfortably? I know after my bunion surgery I was on plain tylenol for a couple of weeks (about the only thing I could take with out side effects). Actually, I used to take a couple extra stregth at bed time with a glass of wine. Unfortunately tests now show that the combination of Tylenol and liquor can do horrible damage to your liver. Guess I'm stuck with plain old tylenol next time.

With respect to the recent posts on medication - my doctor has been pushing Voltaren, Elavil and or Tegratol for pain. I get side effects from everything - so in my case I will wait until such point that I am unable to function before taking any of them. I'm more afraid of them than I am of the pain.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010293)

i have taken Arthotech before surgery which is Voltaren with something added to prevent stomach ulcers or damage. It is a reasonably new drug and expensive and comes in 2 strengths. Really, after the first 24-48 hours the pain is not bad and it mostly associated with the toe where some bone was removed. there has been little pain in the area of the tarsal tunnel release and plantar release from the begining. i do not know what to expect when i first put weight on it. I am still keeping my foot elevated most of the time and have not ventured outside the house with my crutches. I am still wondering what the doctor found based on what he said to my wife. something about vericose veins around my nerve. i cannot visually see any vericose veins in my legs but i have read that they can form in the deep tissue. when you stand vericose veins expand which could eaisly cause them to touch or press on a nerve which could duplicate my symptons. friday is the next time i will see the doctor to remove stitches and get the straight information. from my experience do not worry about the pain for the surgery fromm TTS or a partial release (open procedure). It is not that bad at all. what happens when i go weight bearing is yet to come.

wendy2 on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010281)

Glad to hear you're hanging in and getting reaquainted with your wife! Since I am facing possible TTS release myself - I am interested to know how the pain is..do you have a lot of nerve pain? Are you able to go without medication and sleep comfortably? I know after my bunion surgery I was on plain tylenol for a couple of weeks (about the only thing I could take with out side effects). Actually, I used to take a couple extra stregth at bed time with a glass of wine. Unfortunately tests now show that the combination of Tylenol and liquor can do horrible damage to your liver. Guess I'm stuck with plain old tylenol next time.

With respect to the recent posts on medication - my doctor has been pushing Voltaren, Elavil and or Tegratol for pain. I get side effects from everything - so in my case I will wait until such point that I am unable to function before taking any of them. I'm more afraid of them than I am of the pain.

John on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010293)

i have taken Arthotech before surgery which is Voltaren with something added to prevent stomach ulcers or damage. It is a reasonably new drug and expensive and comes in 2 strengths. Really, after the first 24-48 hours the pain is not bad and it mostly associated with the toe where some bone was removed. there has been little pain in the area of the tarsal tunnel release and plantar release from the begining. i do not know what to expect when i first put weight on it. I am still keeping my foot elevated most of the time and have not ventured outside the house with my crutches. I am still wondering what the doctor found based on what he said to my wife. something about vericose veins around my nerve. i cannot visually see any vericose veins in my legs but i have read that they can form in the deep tissue. when you stand vericose veins expand which could eaisly cause them to touch or press on a nerve which could duplicate my symptons. friday is the next time i will see the doctor to remove stitches and get the straight information. from my experience do not worry about the pain for the surgery fromm TTS or a partial release (open procedure). It is not that bad at all. what happens when i go weight bearing is yet to come.