Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finally pain free with Arch Braces

Posted by Dawn Augustyn on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010274)

I've had PF in both feet for a year now. Went to a foot doctor last summer for treatment. Got a few cortizone shots and was being taped for about a month. Unfortunately, I developed contact dermatitis due to the latex adhesive so I could no longer be taped. The taping was great because it really reduced the pain. However, the pain came back even with stretching and orthotics. So, I gave up the orthotics and have been in pain since last October. About a month ago, I purchased arch braces along with a pair of clogs with a 2' heel. The arch brace is a piece of material with velcro straps. You put the material on the bottom of your foot on the arch and attach it with the velcro. In the beginning (for me) the tighter the better. However, you have to be careful that you don't cut off your circulation. In a matter of days, the pain subsided! I can now walk without shoes at home for short periods of time. Jumping out of bed in the morning used to be an experience in excruciating pain but now I can do it with ease. I highly recommend the arch braces. For those who are interested, the arch braces cost about $15.00 each. I got mine at http://www.intelihealth.com . I've also seen them in Dr. Leonard's catalog (1-800-785-0880). The shoes I got are Dansko's and were about $90.00 (also from intelihealth). Everything was well worth the price. I just had to share my experience with others who are going thru the same pain as I did. Hope this helps!

Re: Finally pain free with Arch Braces

iris on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010304)

i just purchased dansko clogs and was wondering if they can be worn without brace support. i use my special innersoles with my sneakers and that has helped. the dansko clogs feel wonderful but i have not worn them for more than a few minutes to date. concerned about not have the 'proper' arch that my special innersoles provide. Any comments would be welcomed. thank you

iris on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010305)

i just purchased dansko clogs because they feel wonderful - at least in the store. i have just put them on to wear in the house to determine if i can wear something besides sneakers with my special innersoles. is it necessary to wear a arch brace with these clogs?
thank you for a reply.

Wanda on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010325)

Do you ever wear your brace at night or just during the day I always thought there has to be something like this that would work and here you are telling us of this, are they thin enough to wear with any shoes, I just cant wear any kind of tennis shoes at all have a closet full of all NB and they just kill my arch, i live in Birks.

Wanda on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010327)

i have tried several times to pull this up under the address you gave , and no luck. Which one did you click on?

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010339)

Sorry you can't reach the site. I've double checked the web address on my browser and it's: http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH It will still work if all you use is http://www.intelihealth.com . They do have an 800 number (1-800-988-1127) if you wanted to call for a catalog. Hope this works for you.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010340)

I wear them all day and all night. At first, I felt the most relief during the night. I would make sure they were really tight. When I wear them under socks, I tend to make them too tight and it pinches the skin. Wearing them over the sock is more comfortable even though I need to adjust the fit more during the day. I've worn them while wearing my clogs and my tennis shoes. However, I'm finding that tennis shoes or any flat shoe for me is not as comfortable to wear anymore.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010341)

I don't think you need to wear the arch brace with these clogs. I just happened to buy both at the same time in order to try to get relief. I have worn the clogs without the brace and I do not feel any discomfort. I think that the combination of the higher heel and the brace has increased my recovery time.

Mary Ann on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010358)

I think I tried something like this but it would slide down and not hold up my arch. Did you have this trouble?

Dawn Augustyn on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010378)

They loosen a bit when I wear them over socks but I just adjust them throughout the day. When I wear them next to the skin, I do not notice any slipping.

Lorraine on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010492)

What are 'Birks' and where do you get them? I've recently been diagnosed w/PF/ heel spur and need all of the help I could get....

iris on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010304)

i just purchased dansko clogs and was wondering if they can be worn without brace support. i use my special innersoles with my sneakers and that has helped. the dansko clogs feel wonderful but i have not worn them for more than a few minutes to date. concerned about not have the 'proper' arch that my special innersoles provide. Any comments would be welcomed. thank you

iris on 8/28/99 at 00:00 (010305)

i just purchased dansko clogs because they feel wonderful - at least in the store. i have just put them on to wear in the house to determine if i can wear something besides sneakers with my special innersoles. is it necessary to wear a arch brace with these clogs?
thank you for a reply.

Wanda on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010325)

Do you ever wear your brace at night or just during the day I always thought there has to be something like this that would work and here you are telling us of this, are they thin enough to wear with any shoes, I just cant wear any kind of tennis shoes at all have a closet full of all NB and they just kill my arch, i live in Birks.

Wanda on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010327)

i have tried several times to pull this up under the address you gave , and no luck. Which one did you click on?

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010339)

Sorry you can't reach the site. I've double checked the web address on my browser and it's: http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH It will still work if all you use is http://www.intelihealth.com . They do have an 800 number (1-800-988-1127) if you wanted to call for a catalog. Hope this works for you.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010340)

I wear them all day and all night. At first, I felt the most relief during the night. I would make sure they were really tight. When I wear them under socks, I tend to make them too tight and it pinches the skin. Wearing them over the sock is more comfortable even though I need to adjust the fit more during the day. I've worn them while wearing my clogs and my tennis shoes. However, I'm finding that tennis shoes or any flat shoe for me is not as comfortable to wear anymore.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010341)

I don't think you need to wear the arch brace with these clogs. I just happened to buy both at the same time in order to try to get relief. I have worn the clogs without the brace and I do not feel any discomfort. I think that the combination of the higher heel and the brace has increased my recovery time.

Mary Ann on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010358)

I think I tried something like this but it would slide down and not hold up my arch. Did you have this trouble?

Dawn Augustyn on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010378)

They loosen a bit when I wear them over socks but I just adjust them throughout the day. When I wear them next to the skin, I do not notice any slipping.

Lorraine on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010492)

What are 'Birks' and where do you get them? I've recently been diagnosed w/PF/ heel spur and need all of the help I could get....