Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tennis.

Posted by Eddie on 8/29/99 at 00:00 (010326)

I have played tennis for about ten years and am currently rated a 4.0 player,and at the urgency of my friends I quit smoking in order to become a serve and volly type of player, which did increase my level of play until I started getting pain in both of my heels, it would last maybe a day or two at first, and the first few steps after waking up or after sitting a long time were very hard but then it would get better as I walked or ran or even played tennis. My problem is I had one episode of real bad pain in my right heel that was only made better by walking with my foot pointed inward. After resting for about a week, I could play tennis and walk again but still with pain, it does get better when I play. Now, the right heel still hurts and there is some heel pain in my left one. I picked up about 20 pounds after not smoking for 5 months, but my question is while I take Vitamin C and lose weight, by playing do I risk more permanent injury or can I just play through the pain while I get down to under 200 pounds. Also, I have bought better shoes. Again, I never had this problem until I started to be a serve and volly player, when I played from the baseline, I was never injured. I am 6'2', 240 pounds and 52 years old.

Re: Tennis.

JaneK on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010337)

I too walked through the pain for a long time but at some point (for me 8 months ago) I wasn't even able to put my heel down for weeks!! I think at our age (50-something) our bodies don't heal as quickly and even though we don't want to give in and rest and do moderate exercise , we really must. I've been reading this board for 2 months and it's been a great help knowing I'm not alone. Healing just takes TIME....a lot more than we realize.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010343)

You should find a shoe that has lots of cushioning in the heel as well as arch support. I prefer polyurethane (PU) insoles versus EVA because the PU is thicker and more cushiony than EVA. Expect to pay $60.00 and higher for your shoes in order to find this support. Make sure that the insole is removeable. This feature will come in handy if you have to wear orthotics or need to replace the insole.

As with the other posts, it's very important that you take the time to heal. Use ice to reduce the pain and carefully stretch your feet. Your other foot is in pain now because you are walking funny to accommodate the pain in your right foot. I know, I did the same thing. Go to a doctor and see what they say. You could also try the arch brace that I recommend in a previous post. It has helped me tremendously.

All the best with your recovery.

Robin on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010353)

I am no doctor, but to me -- common sense would dictate that you cannot play through the pain, try to lose another 20 or 30 lbs and hope that you recover. I walked 4-5 miles a day 'through the pain' for upwards of 6 months -- and I doubt I will ever walk for exercise again. Anyone who persists in a sport or exercise through the pain is risking permanent injury. I'm about 50% better than I was last summer -- but don't think it hasn't taken me an arm and a leg to get just to this point -- and the point I'm at is no great shakes, believe me. My last six months of walking every day, and walking barefoot on the beach, appears to have influenced me possibly for the rest of my life. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

JaneK on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010337)

I too walked through the pain for a long time but at some point (for me 8 months ago) I wasn't even able to put my heel down for weeks!! I think at our age (50-something) our bodies don't heal as quickly and even though we don't want to give in and rest and do moderate exercise , we really must. I've been reading this board for 2 months and it's been a great help knowing I'm not alone. Healing just takes TIME....a lot more than we realize.

Dawn Augustyn on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010343)

You should find a shoe that has lots of cushioning in the heel as well as arch support. I prefer polyurethane (PU) insoles versus EVA because the PU is thicker and more cushiony than EVA. Expect to pay $60.00 and higher for your shoes in order to find this support. Make sure that the insole is removeable. This feature will come in handy if you have to wear orthotics or need to replace the insole.

As with the other posts, it's very important that you take the time to heal. Use ice to reduce the pain and carefully stretch your feet. Your other foot is in pain now because you are walking funny to accommodate the pain in your right foot. I know, I did the same thing. Go to a doctor and see what they say. You could also try the arch brace that I recommend in a previous post. It has helped me tremendously.

All the best with your recovery.

Robin on 8/30/99 at 00:00 (010353)

I am no doctor, but to me -- common sense would dictate that you cannot play through the pain, try to lose another 20 or 30 lbs and hope that you recover. I walked 4-5 miles a day 'through the pain' for upwards of 6 months -- and I doubt I will ever walk for exercise again. Anyone who persists in a sport or exercise through the pain is risking permanent injury. I'm about 50% better than I was last summer -- but don't think it hasn't taken me an arm and a leg to get just to this point -- and the point I'm at is no great shakes, believe me. My last six months of walking every day, and walking barefoot on the beach, appears to have influenced me possibly for the rest of my life. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.