Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arcopedico Shoes, Chaco Sandals?

Posted by john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010384)

Has anyone tried either of these. The Arcopedico looks like a poor man's all-synthetic Birkenstock ($50), and Chaco sandals ($80) say they provide great arch support, but it is hard to believe from looking at the pictures (http://www.chacosan.com/products.htm). I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with either of these.

PS - Arcopedico shoes are available at both
http://www.feelgoodfast.com/product-list.asp?ProductFamily=FOOT and
http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtStore?t=8132&p=~br,IHW(PIPE)~st,408(PIPE)~r,WSIHW000(PIPE)~b,*(PIPE)&st=7045

Re: Arcopedico Shoes, Chaco Sandals?

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010390)

If you mean the Arcopedico comfort shoe, no, no, no
They offer NO support. They can be folded up like a burrito. You might as well go barefoot.

Ann on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010392)

I bought a pair of these sandals on vacation. They have molded bottom and the top is just a mesh that goes across the top of my foot. No strap around the back. They are so comfortable and they are the only flat shoes that I can wear (Pf and tarsal tunnel). I do not know anything about any other types of shoes by them.

John Parker on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010394)

I bought a pair of Chaco Z1's this June and wore them often this summer. While they do not offer the same level of support as a Birk, I found them to be as comfortable as a pair of running shoes. Being made of a soft material, however, they bend all over, not just at the toe (which is desired).

For reference, I have had PF for 4 years.

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010395)

Yes, the 'comfort shoes', with the stocking-like upper. Hmm, but that's surprising! Of course, flexibility doesn't necessarily mean no arch support. For example, if you made a birkenstock sandal sole out of the same rubber they make those superballs out of, it would still provide very good arch support. Thanks for the warning!

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010396)

Thanks for the info. I might give 'em a try...

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010397)

Which Arcopedicos were you referring to? On the Intelihealth site, they have 'comfort shoes' with a stocking-like upper, and 'mesh sandals', but the sandals have a heel strap. Do the sandals look like the ones you have?

And when refer to them as 'flat shoes', do you mean they provide no or little arch support? Thanks...

Ann on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010423)

I checked the intelihealth board and the Arcopedico Shoes I have are neither of those two pairs. The strap across my foot is wide about 3 inches and made out of the same stuff in the 'shoe'. By flat I mean that there is no heel or wedge. I have found them very comfortable to wear around the house. The therapist says not to wear them all the time because they have no support in the heal area.

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010390)

If you mean the Arcopedico comfort shoe, no, no, no
They offer NO support. They can be folded up like a burrito. You might as well go barefoot.

Ann on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010392)

I bought a pair of these sandals on vacation. They have molded bottom and the top is just a mesh that goes across the top of my foot. No strap around the back. They are so comfortable and they are the only flat shoes that I can wear (Pf and tarsal tunnel). I do not know anything about any other types of shoes by them.

John Parker on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010394)

I bought a pair of Chaco Z1's this June and wore them often this summer. While they do not offer the same level of support as a Birk, I found them to be as comfortable as a pair of running shoes. Being made of a soft material, however, they bend all over, not just at the toe (which is desired).

For reference, I have had PF for 4 years.

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010395)

Yes, the 'comfort shoes', with the stocking-like upper. Hmm, but that's surprising! Of course, flexibility doesn't necessarily mean no arch support. For example, if you made a birkenstock sandal sole out of the same rubber they make those superballs out of, it would still provide very good arch support. Thanks for the warning!

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010396)

Thanks for the info. I might give 'em a try...

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010397)

Which Arcopedicos were you referring to? On the Intelihealth site, they have 'comfort shoes' with a stocking-like upper, and 'mesh sandals', but the sandals have a heel strap. Do the sandals look like the ones you have?

And when refer to them as 'flat shoes', do you mean they provide no or little arch support? Thanks...

Ann on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010423)

I checked the intelihealth board and the Arcopedico Shoes I have are neither of those two pairs. The strap across my foot is wide about 3 inches and made out of the same stuff in the 'shoe'. By flat I mean that there is no heel or wedge. I have found them very comfortable to wear around the house. The therapist says not to wear them all the time because they have no support in the heal area.