Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs & PF

Posted by Lorraine on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010386)

I've recently been diagnosed w/heel spurs and am petrified I will need surgery. Has anyone had it orthoscopically done? If so, what were the results. Would enjoy hearing from anyone who could help me w/this problem. Had one injection. Waiting to see an Orthopedic doctor. Just e-mail me......

Re: Heel Spurs & PF

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010398)

Welcome aboard the 'pain train' as others here like to say! Surgery is usually a 'last resort' that should not even be considered until you've had little relief from more conservative treatment methods for 18 months or more. Surgery sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. The same is true of cortisone injections. There are many things to try, and from reading this board, you will see that there is no remedy that works for everyone. The best results seem to be obtained from a combination of arch support (orthotics), stretching, and time (sometimes a looooong time), with many swearing by a low-carbohydrate diet. I've had PF in both feet with a heel spur in one for 5 months now, and don't even want to consider cortisone injections let alone surgery. Read Scott's dissertation on PF if you haven't already, and stay positive! You've got friends here...

Re: Heel Spurs & PF

john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010398)

Welcome aboard the 'pain train' as others here like to say! Surgery is usually a 'last resort' that should not even be considered until you've had little relief from more conservative treatment methods for 18 months or more. Surgery sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't. The same is true of cortisone injections. There are many things to try, and from reading this board, you will see that there is no remedy that works for everyone. The best results seem to be obtained from a combination of arch support (orthotics), stretching, and time (sometimes a looooong time), with many swearing by a low-carbohydrate diet. I've had PF in both feet with a heel spur in one for 5 months now, and don't even want to consider cortisone injections let alone surgery. Read Scott's dissertation on PF if you haven't already, and stay positive! You've got friends here...