Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF and GI disorders?

Posted by john a on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010409)

I've seen several posts here that mentioned they were also suffering from some gastrointestinal disorder. I'm now wondering if there is a connection, and what percentage of PF sufferers also have a GI disorder. In my case, I have mild colitis that is kept under control by low doses of sulfasalazine. I've had the colitis for the past 8 years, but the PF for only 5 months. Perhaps PF is a long term side effect of sulfa drugs? Perhaps this also ties in with the purported benefits of a low corb diet? I'm probably grasping at straws here...

Re: PF and GI disorders?

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010411)

My guess is that the analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs so many of us take for the PF have resulted in GI problems. I take a Zantac every time I take ibuprofen.

Beth on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010422)

John,

I've wondered the same thing. I was diagnosed with the PF in April and got my first yeast infection in June. I had lots of burning pain in my feet and wondered if I had diabetes. My father has juvenile diabetes, but my tests for it came back negative. The diabetes involves the pancreas. The low sugar diet helps the yeast infections and the feet of some people on the board. Low sugar diets are recommended for diabetics!

My pain shifted last weekend from my right foot to my left foot-has that ever happened to anyone else? I'm stretching BOTH legs now as much as I can...on the floor, against the wall, with the foot flex, before I get up, all day, and before bed. I really believe the stretching is key for me. I've stopped wearing my othotics and just bought Birks and New Balance shoes and have been ok (except for the switching pain!) I'm also taking Bromlein and Pancreatic enzymes and exercising in non impact ways to keep the blood flowing. I've succeeded in reducing the inflammation and want to keep it that way!

I'm able to walk a little bit (at the grocery store, around the block) and if I stretch well when I'm done I have minimal pain.

Hope to hear some of your success measures since we've both had it about the same amount of time.

Beth

Kimbe on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010432)

I've had GI problems for years and years. I take Prilose 20 mg once per day. It really helps with my tummy trouble.

I do not tolerate sulfur drugs well at all and therefore have always cautioned Dr.s against prescribing anything for me that may contain sulfur. Yet I still have suspected PF. That may or may not dispell your sulfur therory.

Talk about grabing at staws, we need to get a reflexology chart and see if the GI organs' nerve endings are where our foot pain is located.

Good Luck,
Kimbe

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010411)

My guess is that the analgesics, anti-inflammatory drugs so many of us take for the PF have resulted in GI problems. I take a Zantac every time I take ibuprofen.

Beth on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010422)

John,

I've wondered the same thing. I was diagnosed with the PF in April and got my first yeast infection in June. I had lots of burning pain in my feet and wondered if I had diabetes. My father has juvenile diabetes, but my tests for it came back negative. The diabetes involves the pancreas. The low sugar diet helps the yeast infections and the feet of some people on the board. Low sugar diets are recommended for diabetics!

My pain shifted last weekend from my right foot to my left foot-has that ever happened to anyone else? I'm stretching BOTH legs now as much as I can...on the floor, against the wall, with the foot flex, before I get up, all day, and before bed. I really believe the stretching is key for me. I've stopped wearing my othotics and just bought Birks and New Balance shoes and have been ok (except for the switching pain!) I'm also taking Bromlein and Pancreatic enzymes and exercising in non impact ways to keep the blood flowing. I've succeeded in reducing the inflammation and want to keep it that way!

I'm able to walk a little bit (at the grocery store, around the block) and if I stretch well when I'm done I have minimal pain.

Hope to hear some of your success measures since we've both had it about the same amount of time.

Beth

Kimbe on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010432)

I've had GI problems for years and years. I take Prilose 20 mg once per day. It really helps with my tummy trouble.

I do not tolerate sulfur drugs well at all and therefore have always cautioned Dr.s against prescribing anything for me that may contain sulfur. Yet I still have suspected PF. That may or may not dispell your sulfur therory.

Talk about grabing at staws, we need to get a reflexology chart and see if the GI organs' nerve endings are where our foot pain is located.

Good Luck,
Kimbe