Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help!

Posted by Dawn Stosch on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010414)

Hi all! I need some help. I am 30 and I have spurs in both feet. They are just terribly sore, and moving at all in the morning is just nauseating. I am overweight, and want to loose weight to help relieve that pressure and pain. Of course, the problem is, the pain I have with my feet.

Does anyone know of any good exercises that will help me loose the weight, while helping to keep the pain minimal in my feet. Another factor, that limits what I can take--Daypro, Injections, etc...is that we are trying to get pregnant.

The Pod. said we either stop trying to get pregnant and get my feet better, OR, live with the pain. Not much help.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated! Sending me email would be best, but, I will check here as well.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

tootles.

Re: Help!

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010415)

If you got pregnant now, it would only increase your weight and your pain. Also the swelling ankles and other edema that often comes with pregnancy could exacerbate the PF further. Get your health in order first, then get pregnant.

A lot of us are on the Atkins diet, which seems not only to reduce weight but also can reduce the pain. Check through our earlier posts on Atkins and other low carbohydrate diets.

Dawn on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010417)

Thanks Lou. I know that is what I need to do, because I know the pain will just be terrible if I get pregnant now. My ankles did swell at the very end of my last pregnancy, so I am sure that will happen now.

I have done the Carb Addicts diet, and it works. So, are people having success, and less pain, being on the low carb diet? Is anyone having success with Daypro?

I think that I know what I have to do, I just really didn't want to admit it.

Thanks Lou!

Kimbe on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010431)

Dawn, I've noticed that some have mentioned bicycling as a form of exercise. Maybe a stationary bike even, but if so, you'd want to get a good one, I had cheapo one a long time ago and the seat was uncomfortable and the whole thing made a terrible racket.

Maybe you could post asking for bike exercise information and let those who know more about it share the pros and cons with you.

Regards,
Kimbe

Dawn on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010463)

Thanks Kimbe! I saw that under the post above, where someone asked abotu exercise, MANY people mentioned swimming (water aerobics) and cycling--either staionary or standard. Either sound great to me. I really want to loose weight now, and have accepted the fact that I can not be pregnant right now. My feet can not handle it. I am going today though, to see another Podiatrist to see if he can suggest a little more than the one who said either stop trying or suffer with the pain.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I might post a cycling message, now that I see that is an option many people have success with.

Again, thank you, and thank everyone on this board for all the ideas. I feel very alone with this, but coming here reminds me that it is not in my head, and that there are others who have this terrible problem!

Tootles.

Ivy on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010470)

I think it would be best to straighten your feet out first, or at least get them to a point where you can live with the pain. Being pregnant puts an incredible strain on your body under the best of circumstances, but with the PF -- zoiks!

Also to consider: The physical stress continues after baby is born. The day never stops, and you run through most of it. The activity increases as baby grows.

Ivy

Lee M on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010510)

Surely your husband has some part in your getting pregnant! Ask him to massage your feet for you. After all you have had all the physical burden. It won't kill him to rub your feet for 15 minutes while watching TV. Make a warm soak for your feet, soak for 15 and then ask your hubby to rub. Maybe he doesn't understand how much it hurts. It took my husband awhile before he really understood that I truly could barely stand up. One night when I got home after working 9 hours on my feet (hairstylist) he wanted to go dancing. I almost had a siezure.
I think after that he caught on. He's really been trying to help. He makes me hot foot soaks with epson salts and if I beg enough he will rub my feet.

Dawn on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010524)

Oh yes, I know, I have an almost 3 year old right now, so I KNOW all the aftermaths of postpartum! Just a hard thing to take, since we were witing until now to have another, we wanted our son to be at lest 3 but not 4, and well, now he will be 4. But, if it is meant to happen it will be OK--not to mention the fact that I will be psuhing 32 by then as well.

The tape is helping right now, though I think it is causing a rash, so I might have to take it off.

Thanks everyone!
tootles.

Dawn on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010525)

Oh he does rub my feet and my calf almost everynight! he acts like he understands the pain, but I really do not think he does, and how can anyone understand unless they have had it? It is some of the worst pain I have ever had! Especially at 3 am, when our son is in his room crying, and I jump out of bed and forget that the pain is there! woa! I look hysterical--hobbling in his room as fast as I can, wanting to cry myself!

We will wait a few months, I will loose some weight--get a bike or start h2o aerobics, and then see what happens.

I cna't imagine still teaching right now with this pain! I do not know how all of you do a job where you have to stand! I am glad I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom. I empathise with you all!

Keep the faith everyone!

tootles.

Lou on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010415)

If you got pregnant now, it would only increase your weight and your pain. Also the swelling ankles and other edema that often comes with pregnancy could exacerbate the PF further. Get your health in order first, then get pregnant.

A lot of us are on the Atkins diet, which seems not only to reduce weight but also can reduce the pain. Check through our earlier posts on Atkins and other low carbohydrate diets.

Dawn on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010417)

Thanks Lou. I know that is what I need to do, because I know the pain will just be terrible if I get pregnant now. My ankles did swell at the very end of my last pregnancy, so I am sure that will happen now.

I have done the Carb Addicts diet, and it works. So, are people having success, and less pain, being on the low carb diet? Is anyone having success with Daypro?

I think that I know what I have to do, I just really didn't want to admit it.

Thanks Lou!

Kimbe on 8/31/99 at 00:00 (010431)

Dawn, I've noticed that some have mentioned bicycling as a form of exercise. Maybe a stationary bike even, but if so, you'd want to get a good one, I had cheapo one a long time ago and the seat was uncomfortable and the whole thing made a terrible racket.

Maybe you could post asking for bike exercise information and let those who know more about it share the pros and cons with you.

Regards,
Kimbe

Dawn on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010463)

Thanks Kimbe! I saw that under the post above, where someone asked abotu exercise, MANY people mentioned swimming (water aerobics) and cycling--either staionary or standard. Either sound great to me. I really want to loose weight now, and have accepted the fact that I can not be pregnant right now. My feet can not handle it. I am going today though, to see another Podiatrist to see if he can suggest a little more than the one who said either stop trying or suffer with the pain.

Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, I might post a cycling message, now that I see that is an option many people have success with.

Again, thank you, and thank everyone on this board for all the ideas. I feel very alone with this, but coming here reminds me that it is not in my head, and that there are others who have this terrible problem!

Tootles.

Ivy on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010470)

I think it would be best to straighten your feet out first, or at least get them to a point where you can live with the pain. Being pregnant puts an incredible strain on your body under the best of circumstances, but with the PF -- zoiks!

Also to consider: The physical stress continues after baby is born. The day never stops, and you run through most of it. The activity increases as baby grows.

Ivy

Lee M on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010510)

Surely your husband has some part in your getting pregnant! Ask him to massage your feet for you. After all you have had all the physical burden. It won't kill him to rub your feet for 15 minutes while watching TV. Make a warm soak for your feet, soak for 15 and then ask your hubby to rub. Maybe he doesn't understand how much it hurts. It took my husband awhile before he really understood that I truly could barely stand up. One night when I got home after working 9 hours on my feet (hairstylist) he wanted to go dancing. I almost had a siezure.
I think after that he caught on. He's really been trying to help. He makes me hot foot soaks with epson salts and if I beg enough he will rub my feet.

Dawn on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010524)

Oh yes, I know, I have an almost 3 year old right now, so I KNOW all the aftermaths of postpartum! Just a hard thing to take, since we were witing until now to have another, we wanted our son to be at lest 3 but not 4, and well, now he will be 4. But, if it is meant to happen it will be OK--not to mention the fact that I will be psuhing 32 by then as well.

The tape is helping right now, though I think it is causing a rash, so I might have to take it off.

Thanks everyone!
tootles.

Dawn on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010525)

Oh he does rub my feet and my calf almost everynight! he acts like he understands the pain, but I really do not think he does, and how can anyone understand unless they have had it? It is some of the worst pain I have ever had! Especially at 3 am, when our son is in his room crying, and I jump out of bed and forget that the pain is there! woa! I look hysterical--hobbling in his room as fast as I can, wanting to cry myself!

We will wait a few months, I will loose some weight--get a bike or start h2o aerobics, and then see what happens.

I cna't imagine still teaching right now with this pain! I do not know how all of you do a job where you have to stand! I am glad I am fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom. I empathise with you all!

Keep the faith everyone!

tootles.