Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Carbs--how much?

Posted by Lou on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010462)

Okay, I've tested it twice and indeed when I eat a lot of carbs my feet hurt more. Who'd have believed it? Not I.

So I'm wondering what is the magic number? I'm sure it varies for many, but for those of you doing the low-carb thing, what is the number of grams you are finding works best?

Re: Carbs--how much?

Dawn on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010466)

Lou, I know on the Carb Addicts diet, you are limited to items that have no more than 4 g in them. Although you can have all the carbs you want at night, I know this is the way the diet restricts it during the day.

For some reason, 30g a day is sticking in my head. But I haven't done this yet for foot relief.

While we are on the subject, are those of you who are doing the Adkins diet, are you taking all of the vitamin suppliments that he suggest, and doing to Litmus strips as well? I am just curious how deep you are taking it.

Good luck, and Lou, glad to hear the low carbs helped!

tootles.

Lou on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010483)

I'm doing Atkins and I am taking the supplements and doing the strips. I don't seem to go very far into ketosis though.

Lee M on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010502)

On my worst days I try to stay under 50 carbs a day. But I lose faster if I stay under 20 carbs. I'm stuck at 23 # loss. As long as I'm losing I don't really care how slow it is.

Roberta on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010516)

Hi, I am not really a low c arb person so maybe I should stay out. But I would worry more about what types of carbs you eat not the amount. I personally think you are fine eating lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Stay away from wheat (especially white flour), sugar, corn, and any processed foods.

Carol E. on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010538)

I just take a really good high potency vitamin from the health food store and a potassium suppliment, and NO I don't bother with the ketostrips. I think you can stress out over all the nitpicky things and I think the strips are a waste of time. I REALLY don't even count exactly what I eat every day either. After a few weeks of this diet, I pretty much know the carb count of the things I like to eat so I just keep kind of a mental tally and if I haven't had very many during the day I eat a bit more for dinner. I just do a modified version of both Atkins and Protein Power---I don't bother with whether I am on induction or whatever. I just set my goal at 20 carbs a day and then I don't have to worry if I'm a bit over---so I usually eat between 20-30 grams and all the protein I need until I'm satisfied. Be sure to drink LOTS of water. Hey, once a month I even eat some pizza or something else I miss if it is not too high in carbs but I stay completely away from SUGAR and then it's back on the diet the very next meal. Unfortunately, for me, the side effects of those extra carbohydrates are water retention, gas and bloating, and increased PF pain---so the cheat HAS to really be worth it!!!

KAREN on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010562)

CAROL, CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF A TYPICAL DAYS MENU FOR YOU. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND LOSE PF(HA!HA!) BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE RIGHT FOODS TO EAT WITHOUT GOING OVER ON THE CARBS. DO YOU COUNT THE CARBS IN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES OR JUST THE CC(CRAP CARBS)? THANKS, KAREN

Dawn on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010466)

Lou, I know on the Carb Addicts diet, you are limited to items that have no more than 4 g in them. Although you can have all the carbs you want at night, I know this is the way the diet restricts it during the day.

For some reason, 30g a day is sticking in my head. But I haven't done this yet for foot relief.

While we are on the subject, are those of you who are doing the Adkins diet, are you taking all of the vitamin suppliments that he suggest, and doing to Litmus strips as well? I am just curious how deep you are taking it.

Good luck, and Lou, glad to hear the low carbs helped!

tootles.

Lou on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010483)

I'm doing Atkins and I am taking the supplements and doing the strips. I don't seem to go very far into ketosis though.

Lee M on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010502)

On my worst days I try to stay under 50 carbs a day. But I lose faster if I stay under 20 carbs. I'm stuck at 23 # loss. As long as I'm losing I don't really care how slow it is.

Roberta on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010516)

Hi, I am not really a low c arb person so maybe I should stay out. But I would worry more about what types of carbs you eat not the amount. I personally think you are fine eating lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Stay away from wheat (especially white flour), sugar, corn, and any processed foods.

Carol E. on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010538)

I just take a really good high potency vitamin from the health food store and a potassium suppliment, and NO I don't bother with the ketostrips. I think you can stress out over all the nitpicky things and I think the strips are a waste of time. I REALLY don't even count exactly what I eat every day either. After a few weeks of this diet, I pretty much know the carb count of the things I like to eat so I just keep kind of a mental tally and if I haven't had very many during the day I eat a bit more for dinner. I just do a modified version of both Atkins and Protein Power---I don't bother with whether I am on induction or whatever. I just set my goal at 20 carbs a day and then I don't have to worry if I'm a bit over---so I usually eat between 20-30 grams and all the protein I need until I'm satisfied. Be sure to drink LOTS of water. Hey, once a month I even eat some pizza or something else I miss if it is not too high in carbs but I stay completely away from SUGAR and then it's back on the diet the very next meal. Unfortunately, for me, the side effects of those extra carbohydrates are water retention, gas and bloating, and increased PF pain---so the cheat HAS to really be worth it!!!

KAREN on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010562)

CAROL, CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF A TYPICAL DAYS MENU FOR YOU. I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND LOSE PF(HA!HA!) BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE RIGHT FOODS TO EAT WITHOUT GOING OVER ON THE CARBS. DO YOU COUNT THE CARBS IN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES OR JUST THE CC(CRAP CARBS)? THANKS, KAREN