Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mornings Suck...

Posted by Ivy on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010468)

I think I know what I want for Christmas (okay, it's only September, but anyway...). Just once in a while, it doesn't even have to be everyday, just once in a while, I would like to wake up and not have my feet hurt so godawful bad first thing in the morning.

I am so frustrated by this #$@%! thing, and I'm so tired of having to make accomodations for my feet, and tired of having to rely on other people to help me out. I feel I've lost my freedom, my independence, and my chipper attitude. No matter what I do to try to make things better, my feet seem worse than ever.

I just don't want to have to live like this the rest of my life, and I'm so tired of it all... At least here, I know people understand my pain and frustration.

Thanks, folx.

Re: Mornings Suck...

Susan W. Linden on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010476)

Yeah, they do. But if you can get someone to gently stretch your feet for you before you get up it will help. Also, I untucked the sheet on my side and that seems to help. Back when my feet were very bad I slept with laceup ankle braces over cotton socks. And I also put a kingsized pillow under the sheets and blankets in the winter to keep the weight off my feet. And the pillow helped keep my feet at a proper angle.

I found some WONDERFUL 'flop' type shoes at a truck stop. Paid about $10 for them. They have some at the local sporting goods store for about $35. They are made of a soft rubbery plastic, not the hard stuff. They are easy to spot. The footbed has dimples like a golf ball and the arch support has raised knobs the same size as the dimples. I can stand in them and iron and my feet do not hurt. I do my housework wearing them and if I know I am going to have to stand on hard surfaces I wear them. They are very cushiony but there is a good arch support in them. I hate to see winter come, I even wear them to work when I am going to be walking or standing a lot. They look cute with shorts or jeans.

I have a wonderful massage therapist named Cindy that is helping me. She is breaking up the scar tissue where wrong healing has taken place that binds the tendons up. I just saw her yesterday and I feel lots better.

Lorraine on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010480)

My feet hurt ALL DAY LONG....... I just found out that I have this condition. What have you done for it so far? Ever considered surgery? I had a shot Friday, but still have pain, and I've been trying to stay off my feet. I could just imagine when I try to do things again. Would enjoy hearing from you...... Maybe you have some advice?

Ivy on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010531)

Surgery is not an option for me, until I hear of more people who have actually enjoyed a successful outcome from it. Also, cortizone injections don't thrill me -- my mom had them for bursitis, and she (a stoic woman if ever I knew one) said that they were torture.

So far, I have tried exercising (initially helpful), ice, tape, and Advil. Also, I have increased my calcium, zinc, and Vitamin C supplements, as well as taking additional alfalfa at the suggestion of a friend's nutritionist. I was reading about primrose oil and wondered if anyone here has tried it?

Advice? Hang in, I guess. I've not been on this board long, but it's helpful to share on the journey. :)

Ivy

Ivy on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010532)

How does she massage in order to break up the scar tissue? Is she very aggressive, or gentle? The thought of someone trying to 'break up' anything in my feet (which feel like they are full of broken glass) is ... painful. But at this point, if I could load up on enough ibuprofen beforehand, I'd let someone go at it...

I wonder if there isn't some way to break up the scar tissue with lasers, like they do with kidney stones?

Ivy

Susan W. Linden on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010534)

Cindy does deep tissue massage. I am the gauge as to how agressive she can get. All I can tell you is that it helps a great deal. Here in W. Va. the true massage therapists are licensed and certified by the state board. She is at my Chiropractor's office. He is also helping with my treatments and I get under water ultrasound treatments there also. It has all helped. I have even had acupuncture treatments there. I am in the best shape I have been so far since this started four years ago.

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010623)

Susan:
Could you tell me where I could find the shoes you mentioned? Is there a brand name? Also, what part of the country did you find them in? I live on the East Coast.
Thanks,
John

Mary on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010643)

Keep a tennis ball and/or a small foot massager (from Bed, Bath and Beyond for @$7) by the side of your bed. Roll your feet over these before standing up in the morning. It will really help ease that first thing in the morning pain.

Susan W. Linden on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010476)

Yeah, they do. But if you can get someone to gently stretch your feet for you before you get up it will help. Also, I untucked the sheet on my side and that seems to help. Back when my feet were very bad I slept with laceup ankle braces over cotton socks. And I also put a kingsized pillow under the sheets and blankets in the winter to keep the weight off my feet. And the pillow helped keep my feet at a proper angle.

I found some WONDERFUL 'flop' type shoes at a truck stop. Paid about $10 for them. They have some at the local sporting goods store for about $35. They are made of a soft rubbery plastic, not the hard stuff. They are easy to spot. The footbed has dimples like a golf ball and the arch support has raised knobs the same size as the dimples. I can stand in them and iron and my feet do not hurt. I do my housework wearing them and if I know I am going to have to stand on hard surfaces I wear them. They are very cushiony but there is a good arch support in them. I hate to see winter come, I even wear them to work when I am going to be walking or standing a lot. They look cute with shorts or jeans.

I have a wonderful massage therapist named Cindy that is helping me. She is breaking up the scar tissue where wrong healing has taken place that binds the tendons up. I just saw her yesterday and I feel lots better.

Lorraine on 9/01/99 at 00:00 (010480)

My feet hurt ALL DAY LONG....... I just found out that I have this condition. What have you done for it so far? Ever considered surgery? I had a shot Friday, but still have pain, and I've been trying to stay off my feet. I could just imagine when I try to do things again. Would enjoy hearing from you...... Maybe you have some advice?

Ivy on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010531)

Surgery is not an option for me, until I hear of more people who have actually enjoyed a successful outcome from it. Also, cortizone injections don't thrill me -- my mom had them for bursitis, and she (a stoic woman if ever I knew one) said that they were torture.

So far, I have tried exercising (initially helpful), ice, tape, and Advil. Also, I have increased my calcium, zinc, and Vitamin C supplements, as well as taking additional alfalfa at the suggestion of a friend's nutritionist. I was reading about primrose oil and wondered if anyone here has tried it?

Advice? Hang in, I guess. I've not been on this board long, but it's helpful to share on the journey. :)

Ivy

Ivy on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010532)

How does she massage in order to break up the scar tissue? Is she very aggressive, or gentle? The thought of someone trying to 'break up' anything in my feet (which feel like they are full of broken glass) is ... painful. But at this point, if I could load up on enough ibuprofen beforehand, I'd let someone go at it...

I wonder if there isn't some way to break up the scar tissue with lasers, like they do with kidney stones?

Ivy

Susan W. Linden on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010534)

Cindy does deep tissue massage. I am the gauge as to how agressive she can get. All I can tell you is that it helps a great deal. Here in W. Va. the true massage therapists are licensed and certified by the state board. She is at my Chiropractor's office. He is also helping with my treatments and I get under water ultrasound treatments there also. It has all helped. I have even had acupuncture treatments there. I am in the best shape I have been so far since this started four years ago.

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010623)

Susan:
Could you tell me where I could find the shoes you mentioned? Is there a brand name? Also, what part of the country did you find them in? I live on the East Coast.
Thanks,
John

Mary on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010643)

Keep a tennis ball and/or a small foot massager (from Bed, Bath and Beyond for @$7) by the side of your bed. Roll your feet over these before standing up in the morning. It will really help ease that first thing in the morning pain.