Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Thanks! How do you keep from just drinking more...

Posted by Raleigh on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010521)

of the decaff stuff? I think mornings is my worst time. The rest of the day I can do ok.

Re: Thanks! How do you keep from just drinking more...

Lee M. on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010543)

Thats the thing, you don't want more. Your body doesn't crave it. Try going off cold turkey. I was so sick with a headache. But if you detox yourself slowly, you don't even know your doing it. I used to drink several cups a day. My hair salon always has fresh coffee in a pump pot. And we have that flavored cream, yum. Now I never want it bad enough to bother. In the morning its just habit to have hot coffee and as I said I do like the taste. Can't tell the difference either. I had a starbucks caffinated which I used to love, and it tasted like jet fuel to me. Gave me a buzz too! I used to love chocolate, (loaded with caffiene) still do, but for some reason I can walk by a See's candy store and not want any. I never eat candy bars any more.. Just try it, you'll see. When your body is addicted to something it's a hard urge to control. It changed a lot of things for me.
The reason I went off caffiene was because on my mammogram I had some cysts. The Dr. said no more caffiene and lots of vit. E. Your drinking something very bad for you.

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010547)

Some years ago I gave up coffee completely, not even decaff, just stopped, when I realised I was glugging about 8 or 9 large mugs a day (strong, no sugar or milk, there was a filter machine at work constantly available).

No serious ill effects as such, but ... for about a month I was constantly sleepy! And at first I didn't realise what the problem was. I was practically dozing off while talking to people, going to bed every night by 8.30 or 9 pm, couldn't wake up easily in the mornings, falling asleep on the trains to and from work, it was ridiculous. In conversation with a colleague, during which I managed to stay awake for about 3 minutes, I mentioned this awful drowsiness that had come over me, wondered if I had sleeping sickness. She asked how long it had been going on, I said about a week or so, she then said 'and when did you stop drinking coffee?' - at last, the penny dropped. Of course, my regular waker-upper had been cancelled! After the month I got back to normal, but stayed off strong coffee for quite a long time - a couple of years. I had been suffering regular migraine attacks, and was giving up things that appeared to trigger them.

I now drink normal coffee again, but nowhere near as much. 3, maybe 4 CUPS spread out over the whole day. (But I don't know how or if that affects the rotten heel spur!)

jl
hmmm, think I'll just go and put the kettle on.......

Lee M. on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010543)

Thats the thing, you don't want more. Your body doesn't crave it. Try going off cold turkey. I was so sick with a headache. But if you detox yourself slowly, you don't even know your doing it. I used to drink several cups a day. My hair salon always has fresh coffee in a pump pot. And we have that flavored cream, yum. Now I never want it bad enough to bother. In the morning its just habit to have hot coffee and as I said I do like the taste. Can't tell the difference either. I had a starbucks caffinated which I used to love, and it tasted like jet fuel to me. Gave me a buzz too! I used to love chocolate, (loaded with caffiene) still do, but for some reason I can walk by a See's candy store and not want any. I never eat candy bars any more.. Just try it, you'll see. When your body is addicted to something it's a hard urge to control. It changed a lot of things for me.
The reason I went off caffiene was because on my mammogram I had some cysts. The Dr. said no more caffiene and lots of vit. E. Your drinking something very bad for you.

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010547)

Some years ago I gave up coffee completely, not even decaff, just stopped, when I realised I was glugging about 8 or 9 large mugs a day (strong, no sugar or milk, there was a filter machine at work constantly available).

No serious ill effects as such, but ... for about a month I was constantly sleepy! And at first I didn't realise what the problem was. I was practically dozing off while talking to people, going to bed every night by 8.30 or 9 pm, couldn't wake up easily in the mornings, falling asleep on the trains to and from work, it was ridiculous. In conversation with a colleague, during which I managed to stay awake for about 3 minutes, I mentioned this awful drowsiness that had come over me, wondered if I had sleeping sickness. She asked how long it had been going on, I said about a week or so, she then said 'and when did you stop drinking coffee?' - at last, the penny dropped. Of course, my regular waker-upper had been cancelled! After the month I got back to normal, but stayed off strong coffee for quite a long time - a couple of years. I had been suffering regular migraine attacks, and was giving up things that appeared to trigger them.

I now drink normal coffee again, but nowhere near as much. 3, maybe 4 CUPS spread out over the whole day. (But I don't know how or if that affects the rotten heel spur!)

jl
hmmm, think I'll just go and put the kettle on.......