Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What helped the most...

Posted by Lee M. on 9/02/99 at 00:00 (010542)

The most help was orthodics, piroxicam cream, low carb diet, stretching an now massage. By the way I went to the 'best' orthopedic sports Dr. (specialized in foot and leg injuries} He told me to try to stay off my feet. He didn't even offer any suggestions, never mentioned PF and I received no treatment from him at all. Looking back on it now it seems so stupid. I just went home really depressed thinking this guy is the best and he can't fix my foot. I just kept looking til I found my current Dr. who made my 2nd pair of orthodics and I was completely pain free for about 8 months. Then I got a heel spur out of no where. That was last October. I hit one point where I thought I was going to have to crawl thats when I got the cortizone shots. VERY painful, I don't suggest them. They only mask the pain and you end up where you started.

Re: What helped me, To Vicki

Mary Ann on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010241)

I got this pf when I was recovering from a herniated disc and had started walking. I was off work at the time, but started a new job in April. It is much lighter duty and not as much on my feet, but until JulyI I had a lot of pain and did work and hated every minute of it. I am eating low fat and limited portions but have come to a stand still. I do the exercise bike but not consistently. My foot is not as good as it was in July but not nearly as bad as it had been. Since the increase in stretching has helped many here i am trying to do that more regularly. I know what you mean about shoes,I am still wearing tennis shoes, haven't found anything will work. Good luck to you

Re: What helped me, To Mary Ann

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010243)

Thanks for the quick answer. I haven't even gotten up from the computer and was just browsing back through. Hope you are not up so late for the same reason I am-pain. I tried going back to work part time, but could not make it through the shift and am very nervous right now about trying again. The old job is too demanding, and as you probably know, any new job requires extra steps until you get the routien down. All I know is nursing and in my small town, the opportunities are very limited. It seems like PF is changing everything, but thanks to this site I realize that I am not the only one feeling a little desperate at times.
My podiatrist did make me a smaller pair of orthotics that fit in flat dress shoes. They are not bareable though if I am in an acute flair up.
Thanks.

Re: What helped me, To Vicki

Mary Ann on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010241)

I got this pf when I was recovering from a herniated disc and had started walking. I was off work at the time, but started a new job in April. It is much lighter duty and not as much on my feet, but until JulyI I had a lot of pain and did work and hated every minute of it. I am eating low fat and limited portions but have come to a stand still. I do the exercise bike but not consistently. My foot is not as good as it was in July but not nearly as bad as it had been. Since the increase in stretching has helped many here i am trying to do that more regularly. I know what you mean about shoes,I am still wearing tennis shoes, haven't found anything will work. Good luck to you

Re: What helped me, To Mary Ann

vicki on 8/27/99 at 00:00 (010243)

Thanks for the quick answer. I haven't even gotten up from the computer and was just browsing back through. Hope you are not up so late for the same reason I am-pain. I tried going back to work part time, but could not make it through the shift and am very nervous right now about trying again. The old job is too demanding, and as you probably know, any new job requires extra steps until you get the routien down. All I know is nursing and in my small town, the opportunities are very limited. It seems like PF is changing everything, but thanks to this site I realize that I am not the only one feeling a little desperate at times.
My podiatrist did make me a smaller pair of orthotics that fit in flat dress shoes. They are not bareable though if I am in an acute flair up.
Thanks.