Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sutures out surgery + 10 days

Posted by john on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010560)

sutures were removed today and was painless. for the tarsal tunnel release and plantar fascia release using the open procedure their is a 6' incision that runs well above the ankle bone on the inside of the foot to about 1' on the botton of the foot just forward of the heel. the surgeon used the Baxter procedure which removes a small portion of the fascia over the baxter nerve on the bottom inside of the foot. he noted the band of fascia over this nerve was very tight. swelling was very minimal when the cast came off as i have been keeping it elevated. I started going back to my office for a couple of hrs a day 5 days after surgery. the cast has been removed & all i have is a small dressing over the wounds. i am to start weight bearing a week from monday which will be 3 weeks from surgery and can start taking showers monday(thank god) and discard the dressing. he said birks would be fine to wear. the pain associated with this procedure has been minimal so far. it will be interesting when i start walking. i am somewhat confident at this point. i also had a Cheilectomy on my great toe at the same time on same foot. there is a 4' incision that runs from the 1st joint across the second joint. the 2nd joint had bone spurs removed and a wedge of bone removed to allow better upward flexion. this was somewhat painful for 2-3 days and i now have to start range of motion exercises today which do hurt. i asked the doctor for celebrex to give it a try for my other foot. he gave me 6 days of samples. by the way my other foot is not hurting as ususal even though i have used it exclusively with crutches. very little fascia was removed or released.

Re: sutures out surgery + 10 days

Trish on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010590)

Thanks for updating us on your progress. It sounds like you're doing well!! Hang in there and good luck!!

Re: sutures out surgery + 10 days

Trish on 9/03/99 at 00:00 (010590)

Thanks for updating us on your progress. It sounds like you're doing well!! Hang in there and good luck!!