Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

shower

Posted by John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010604)

monday will be the fisrt day i can take a shower in two weeks. since i am on crutches i have been studying all day how to get into the shower. the tub shower is definitely out since there is no way i could negotiate over a bathtub. we have a standup shower stall with about a 7' lip with nothing inside to hold on to. hopping over that lip will be like an olympic hurdle for me. i never thought in my life i would be planning on how to take a bath. each day i more appreciate people who are handicapped in wheelchairs and crutches for life. there is a man who comes to my health club with one leg. he brings his little girl and somehow picks her up and puts her in the pool and then jumps in himself. there is a teenage boy with no legs that manuevers in and out of his wheelchair better than i walk. there is a 32 year old man in a wheelchair that plays basketball in his wheelchair better than i could when i was in my prime (he is on the Rollin Razorbacks who were national wheelchair champions). somehow i will figure out how to get into a shower stall!

Re: shower

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010606)

Some thoughts: My doctor never once recommended cortisone shots. He never promised a cure with surgery. He said it was very unlikely that surgery would make it worse. He said that he had about a 70% cure rate with surgery. He will not perform surgery on anyone who has not been on conservitive treatment for at least a year. I told him my goal was to get back to running 3 miles a day and he said my goal should be a bit less ambitious. the doctor has not mentioned orthotics to me and i forgot to ask. i start walking in a week. he did say the birk airizona sandals i had on would be fine. my next appt is in one month at which time i should have been walking for 3 weeks. my personal plan is to go to a massage thearapist to work on the calf of my leg to loosen up the muscle which has been inactive. will not let him or her mess with my foot until i have a handle on how it is going to do.

different orthopedic surgeons use different surgical methods for treating PF depending on who they trained under. you should clearly understand what method they use so you can participate in the decision.

Lori on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010610)

John, I had to go 3 weeks before I could get my foot wet. So, I took a plastic chair and stuck it in the tub/shower. I wrapped my foot in a towel then put it in a plastic bag (in case the water dripped in there). I sat on the edge of the tub and pulled both legs into the tub. Then I got into the chair, closed the shower curtains and used a 'shower massage' unit to take a 'shower', sitting on the chair. I only took a 'standing' shower when I could stand on both feet. Sitting was much better. If you have a plastic chair and a shower massage, you might want to try this.
Lori in AZ

wendy2 on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010614)

John, I too used a low stool in the shower after I had foot surgery. You will be much more comfortable, and probably a lot safer if you are sitting down. I used to sit on the stool and rest my foot on the edge of the tub (it hurt to leave it down). Glad to hear you are doing so well, I've enjoyed your updates and your sense of humour. I know how hard it can be to laugh when you're in pain, but I think it's the only way to stay sane...!

As for me, I saw a new doctor Tuesday who took xrays of my lower back. He can see a lot of 'sclerosis' or whitening that doesn't belong in the back of a 30 year old woman. He sent me for 2 HOURS of bone scans on Thursday to rule out 'Ankolosing Spondylitis' (I think that's how you spell it) which is a systemic arthritis that usually strikes men in their early 20's.

He said that he cannot start treating my feet (TTS) until they rule out any additional problems. I have had 3 bone scans in 18 months and I asked him if I will glow in the dark now. He said he didn't think so. I will be happy when we can start dealing with my feet and maybe this doctor will offer better suggestions than cortisone and drugs. After hearing that your doctor didn't even suggest cortisone shots - I'm sure I made the right decision to not have them done.

wendy on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010619)

i had low back surgery L5/S1 for removal of the disc on the left side about 20 years ago. i always wondered if it was associated with my feet problems but being able to run for the past 10 years before my feet problem began i sort of ruled it out. the doctor who did the nerve conduction test felt the same way. having a low back problem and foot problem is a real double whammy as one can lead to another. being forced to spend a lot of time in bed with my foot surgery aggrevates my back as standing is more comfortable for my back while bad for my feet. my low back problem i think was the result of a helicopter crash in vietnam in 1969. my feet were working very well that day as i ran pretty fast to escape the bad guys.

Linda on 9/07/99 at 00:00 (010729)

Hi John,
Reading your messages, I dont know if I can help or not but this is what I have learned. I use a higher arch birk sandle they sell i think it is spelled tatami. While I was at the birkinstock shoe store I found these bubble shoes. they only cost $25. I have to use them everyday. They had some with no arch and i had to buy the ones with the arch. It has suprised me, but I get out of bed right into them, in the shower and whenever i want a different feeling instead of the birks. They are like the sandles they use at spas but these have an arch and feel so good. I could walk all day in them.

john a on 9/07/99 at 00:00 (010733)

'bubble shoes'? At $25, they can't be Birks, so what are they exactly and who makes them?

Linda on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010768)

I have looked at the bottom of my bubble sandles and they say SENSI&C
ASSISI
MADE IN ITALY
I had bought them in the store up in Lawerence,KS called footprints. They are sellers of birkinstoks. When I walked in the front door of the small store they were right there on the shelf. One had a lower arch and the other a higher arch. I had to have them for only $25. Its the best buy I ever bought for my sore feet. To say the least they are happy :)
address of store 1339 Massachusetts Lawrence, KS 66044 phone#1-800-488-8316 or website http://www.footprints.com Let me know if you like them.
I sould ask for comission :)

john a on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010798)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some (or is that my feet in some!)

John on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010606)

Some thoughts: My doctor never once recommended cortisone shots. He never promised a cure with surgery. He said it was very unlikely that surgery would make it worse. He said that he had about a 70% cure rate with surgery. He will not perform surgery on anyone who has not been on conservitive treatment for at least a year. I told him my goal was to get back to running 3 miles a day and he said my goal should be a bit less ambitious. the doctor has not mentioned orthotics to me and i forgot to ask. i start walking in a week. he did say the birk airizona sandals i had on would be fine. my next appt is in one month at which time i should have been walking for 3 weeks. my personal plan is to go to a massage thearapist to work on the calf of my leg to loosen up the muscle which has been inactive. will not let him or her mess with my foot until i have a handle on how it is going to do.

different orthopedic surgeons use different surgical methods for treating PF depending on who they trained under. you should clearly understand what method they use so you can participate in the decision.

Lori on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010610)

John, I had to go 3 weeks before I could get my foot wet. So, I took a plastic chair and stuck it in the tub/shower. I wrapped my foot in a towel then put it in a plastic bag (in case the water dripped in there). I sat on the edge of the tub and pulled both legs into the tub. Then I got into the chair, closed the shower curtains and used a 'shower massage' unit to take a 'shower', sitting on the chair. I only took a 'standing' shower when I could stand on both feet. Sitting was much better. If you have a plastic chair and a shower massage, you might want to try this.
Lori in AZ

wendy2 on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010614)

John, I too used a low stool in the shower after I had foot surgery. You will be much more comfortable, and probably a lot safer if you are sitting down. I used to sit on the stool and rest my foot on the edge of the tub (it hurt to leave it down). Glad to hear you are doing so well, I've enjoyed your updates and your sense of humour. I know how hard it can be to laugh when you're in pain, but I think it's the only way to stay sane...!

As for me, I saw a new doctor Tuesday who took xrays of my lower back. He can see a lot of 'sclerosis' or whitening that doesn't belong in the back of a 30 year old woman. He sent me for 2 HOURS of bone scans on Thursday to rule out 'Ankolosing Spondylitis' (I think that's how you spell it) which is a systemic arthritis that usually strikes men in their early 20's.

He said that he cannot start treating my feet (TTS) until they rule out any additional problems. I have had 3 bone scans in 18 months and I asked him if I will glow in the dark now. He said he didn't think so. I will be happy when we can start dealing with my feet and maybe this doctor will offer better suggestions than cortisone and drugs. After hearing that your doctor didn't even suggest cortisone shots - I'm sure I made the right decision to not have them done.

wendy on 9/04/99 at 00:00 (010619)

i had low back surgery L5/S1 for removal of the disc on the left side about 20 years ago. i always wondered if it was associated with my feet problems but being able to run for the past 10 years before my feet problem began i sort of ruled it out. the doctor who did the nerve conduction test felt the same way. having a low back problem and foot problem is a real double whammy as one can lead to another. being forced to spend a lot of time in bed with my foot surgery aggrevates my back as standing is more comfortable for my back while bad for my feet. my low back problem i think was the result of a helicopter crash in vietnam in 1969. my feet were working very well that day as i ran pretty fast to escape the bad guys.

Linda on 9/07/99 at 00:00 (010729)

Hi John,
Reading your messages, I dont know if I can help or not but this is what I have learned. I use a higher arch birk sandle they sell i think it is spelled tatami. While I was at the birkinstock shoe store I found these bubble shoes. they only cost $25. I have to use them everyday. They had some with no arch and i had to buy the ones with the arch. It has suprised me, but I get out of bed right into them, in the shower and whenever i want a different feeling instead of the birks. They are like the sandles they use at spas but these have an arch and feel so good. I could walk all day in them.

john a on 9/07/99 at 00:00 (010733)

'bubble shoes'? At $25, they can't be Birks, so what are they exactly and who makes them?

Linda on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010768)

I have looked at the bottom of my bubble sandles and they say SENSI&C
ASSISI
MADE IN ITALY
I had bought them in the store up in Lawerence,KS called footprints. They are sellers of birkinstoks. When I walked in the front door of the small store they were right there on the shelf. One had a lower arch and the other a higher arch. I had to have them for only $25. Its the best buy I ever bought for my sore feet. To say the least they are happy :)
address of store 1339 Massachusetts Lawrence, KS 66044 phone#1-800-488-8316 or website http://www.footprints.com Let me know if you like them.
I sould ask for comission :)

john a on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010798)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some (or is that my feet in some!)