Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What type of stretches can I do for my PF?

Posted by Eric on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010660)

I've been trying to stretch on a regular basis to help treat/prevent flareups of my PF. I first tried the towel aroudn the foot and pulling method, but that was too annoying. Currently I stand facing a wall, with one foot forward and one back and lean into the wall to stretch the heal and tendon. That seems to be working ok. I was wondering if there were other, better, methods.

Re: What type of stretches can I do for my PF?

Kara on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010663)

When mine was really bad, I would get a tennis ball, and while holding on to a chair, stand on the tennis ball, first resting on the heel, then to the arch, then to the ball of the foot, this really helps loosen up all that tightness, but can be painful
sounds like some people use frozen water bottles instead, so whatever works.
Also, if you have access to stairs, stand on the edge with your feet together and the balls of the feet on the stair with your heels off, and drop down one heel at a time, same as the wall stretch, but a little more intense for me.
Some Experts say you have to hold stretches for at least 15 seconds or it just freaks the muscle out even more.
Good luck!

JaneK on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010677)

I have not seen this type of 'stretch' mentioned at all. My podiatrist explained that the plantar fascia itself cannot be stretched however he said it can be 'exercised' to keep it flexible. He showed me how to bend my toes towards me, then turn the bottom of the foot side to side. This at first was very painful and you can feel the fascia slip side to side over the heel. I currently can do this without any pain,but it took several months. I do this frequently during the day along with other ankle movements to prevent stiffness, and of course the calf and Achilles tendon exercises several times a day.

Kara on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010685)

Oh, and another thing, I always tape my feet before I stretch, Scott recommends it in his book. I don't want to put any extra strain on my feet.
And I've refered to this book in previous messages, it's called The Vance Stance, by Vance Bonner. She's really good and user friendly with pictures and varying degrees of each stretch depending on if it's easy for you or not. I highly recommend it...

Kara on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010663)

When mine was really bad, I would get a tennis ball, and while holding on to a chair, stand on the tennis ball, first resting on the heel, then to the arch, then to the ball of the foot, this really helps loosen up all that tightness, but can be painful
sounds like some people use frozen water bottles instead, so whatever works.
Also, if you have access to stairs, stand on the edge with your feet together and the balls of the feet on the stair with your heels off, and drop down one heel at a time, same as the wall stretch, but a little more intense for me.
Some Experts say you have to hold stretches for at least 15 seconds or it just freaks the muscle out even more.
Good luck!

JaneK on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010677)

I have not seen this type of 'stretch' mentioned at all. My podiatrist explained that the plantar fascia itself cannot be stretched however he said it can be 'exercised' to keep it flexible. He showed me how to bend my toes towards me, then turn the bottom of the foot side to side. This at first was very painful and you can feel the fascia slip side to side over the heel. I currently can do this without any pain,but it took several months. I do this frequently during the day along with other ankle movements to prevent stiffness, and of course the calf and Achilles tendon exercises several times a day.

Kara on 9/05/99 at 00:00 (010685)

Oh, and another thing, I always tape my feet before I stretch, Scott recommends it in his book. I don't want to put any extra strain on my feet.
And I've refered to this book in previous messages, it's called The Vance Stance, by Vance Bonner. She's really good and user friendly with pictures and varying degrees of each stretch depending on if it's easy for you or not. I highly recommend it...