Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Special Issue Safety Footwear and Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Paula Hood on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010756)

In 1997 employees where I work were issued special issue safety footwear. This is an 8' high Norwegian style front laced boot with a high impact injection moulded flexible plastic internal metatarsal guard. The boot has a steel toe with puncture proof steel plate for sole, bonded leather board insole, polyethylene radiantx underlay insole insert, the upper, vamp, quarter and gusset made of black leather. The soles are vulcanized direct attachment. The special purpose protective footwear is fabricated of silicone tanned water repellent leather, provides Grade 1 steel toe protection, puncture and slip resistant sole, and electric shock resistant protection. As well, the boots weigh 5lbs. Approximately 6 months after wearing these boots, I was unable to put any weight on my left foot and was in excruciating pain and on crutches for 2 weeks. When I went to my doctor he advised me that I had plantar fasciitis and gave me a prescription for special insoles to be made. He also gave me a certificate advising my employers that I was unable to wear the special issue footwear saying that as long as the sole contained the steel plate my foot was unable to bend normally. I immediately went and bought a pair of CSA (Canadian standards) approved footwear and have been wearing them ever since. They occassionally cause discomfort (usually day 5 of my work week) but I have not experienced the degree of pain that I had when wearing the issue footwear. Now they are saying that I have to be able to wear the issue footwear if I want to continue in my present position. This is causing me great concern, I would be willing to wear the boot with a slight design modification (i.e. removing the steel plate from the sole and replacing it with something that is more flexible. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Re: Special Issue Safety Footwear and Plantar Fasciitis

Wanda on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010778)

I to have to work a steel toe boot for I work construction. I have a pr of Red Wings that looks like western ropers lace up, they come with a great insert, but Red Wing makes one that you can buy and it is real thick and soft and offers gret support. I have tarsal tunnel in both feet and cant hardly stand for 5 min. without pain. I am very lucky for I can wear my Birks when I am not in the field. My heart goes out to you for I truly know where your coming from and just how many men have this and have to stand and walk all day just to make a living for there families. Try and set down every chance you can and good luck but check out the Red Wings I spent alot of time hunting the boot that I would wear, of course all shoes hurt my feet except my Birks

Re: Special Issue Safety Footwear and Plantar Fasciitis

Wanda on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010778)

I to have to work a steel toe boot for I work construction. I have a pr of Red Wings that looks like western ropers lace up, they come with a great insert, but Red Wing makes one that you can buy and it is real thick and soft and offers gret support. I have tarsal tunnel in both feet and cant hardly stand for 5 min. without pain. I am very lucky for I can wear my Birks when I am not in the field. My heart goes out to you for I truly know where your coming from and just how many men have this and have to stand and walk all day just to make a living for there families. Try and set down every chance you can and good luck but check out the Red Wings I spent alot of time hunting the boot that I would wear, of course all shoes hurt my feet except my Birks