Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I'm looking for shoe recommendations, please.

Posted by Eileen K. on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010770)

Could you all please recommend some good shoes for us folks with PF? I'm looking for all types, athletic especially. Are Birkenstocks good? I need casual and dress shoes too. Thanks!

Re: I'm looking for shoe recommendations, please.

Lynn on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010771)

Ive been living in my Nike Air's for the last 1 1/2 since I figured out what this problem really is and it has helped. Im going shoe shopping myself tommorrow! Ive heard Birks are great and SAS shoes and a few others. I am going to be by an Easy Spirit and SAS outlet which I plan to check out. Im wondering about Rockports myself.
Anyone??????

Sarah on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010774)

Birks are uncomfortable for me, but I wear a similar shoe called Naot. They are made in Isreal. They are clog/mules and I have them in brown and black. I also flop my orthodics in just about any shoe after removing the insole/arch.

Robin on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010777)

Depends what you are looking for. I'm a Birkenstock fanatic. People on this board seem to either love them or hate them. I love them.

I don't need cushioning. I need support for my arch -- and then my heel pain sort of takes care of itself. I started with Birks last December and that's all I wear now. Find a good store, preferably a Birk store. Try them on, wear them around the store for 15 or 20 minutes and you will have a good idea of whether they will work for you or not.

Judy on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010779)

Just purchased 4 pairs of Rockports. I love them. They are in the Penny Catalog and have removable insoles so my orthotics fit in them perfectly. They have been such a nice change from wearing N.B. and Birks all summer as I have been searching all over for a casual shoe to wear back to work (I work in a school). Believe it or not, I actually think they are more comfortable than my N.B. sneakers and look so much better with skirts/dresses. Hope this helps!

Cory on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010790)

I just bought a pair of dansko clogs. I really don't think I'll buy any other brand again. The have jsut come out with something of a hiking boot that really looks nice. I'm waiting for the store near me to have them in stock...

Cory

Jane on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010795)

I recommend New Balance sneakers. I wear the cross trainers 585s and 606s and love them. I tried a pair of New Balance walkers (652s) but found them too 'mushy'. Different feet have different likes but I'm sure there's a New Balance for you!

roberta on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010805)

bastad clogs. So fashionable and pain free!!

Lou on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010807)

I just bought some Mephisto Sabatinas for the office and have been getting a lot of compliments. No one knows they're orthopedic! They feel good too, though if your ankles are weak they may not give you enough stability on the side, as they are open-heeled. Check out http://www.denvermephisto.com for the complete line, but if you can try them on in a store. I usually wear and 8.5 but needed a 10 in Mephisto. I will definitely be buying more Mephisto. They are expensive, but my feet don't care.

I also have some Rockports that are comfortable.

For casual wear, I wear nothing but Birkenstocks. They just aren't appropriate for professional wear.

iris on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010840)

hi,
since i have been visiting this board, i have purchased at least a thousand dollars worth of shoes. having just returned back to school, i have found that my dansko clogs with the back strap that can be rotated forward is the greatest choice for me. i treasure them!

Julie on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010858)

Iris,

Is the Dansko Clog with the adjustable strap the 'Ingrid'? Will be out shopping this wk. and would like to know which clog it is that you like the best. thanks.

Mary Lou M. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010920)

My problem started with too-flat golf shoes. I finally bought some Nike air golf shoes, and maybe, just maybe, in a few months I'll be able to get out of the cart and walk again. Birkenstocks give me too much arch support, which in my case makes the problem worse.

Lynn on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010771)

Ive been living in my Nike Air's for the last 1 1/2 since I figured out what this problem really is and it has helped. Im going shoe shopping myself tommorrow! Ive heard Birks are great and SAS shoes and a few others. I am going to be by an Easy Spirit and SAS outlet which I plan to check out. Im wondering about Rockports myself.
Anyone??????

Sarah on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010774)

Birks are uncomfortable for me, but I wear a similar shoe called Naot. They are made in Isreal. They are clog/mules and I have them in brown and black. I also flop my orthodics in just about any shoe after removing the insole/arch.

Robin on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010777)

Depends what you are looking for. I'm a Birkenstock fanatic. People on this board seem to either love them or hate them. I love them.

I don't need cushioning. I need support for my arch -- and then my heel pain sort of takes care of itself. I started with Birks last December and that's all I wear now. Find a good store, preferably a Birk store. Try them on, wear them around the store for 15 or 20 minutes and you will have a good idea of whether they will work for you or not.

Judy on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010779)

Just purchased 4 pairs of Rockports. I love them. They are in the Penny Catalog and have removable insoles so my orthotics fit in them perfectly. They have been such a nice change from wearing N.B. and Birks all summer as I have been searching all over for a casual shoe to wear back to work (I work in a school). Believe it or not, I actually think they are more comfortable than my N.B. sneakers and look so much better with skirts/dresses. Hope this helps!

Cory on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010790)

I just bought a pair of dansko clogs. I really don't think I'll buy any other brand again. The have jsut come out with something of a hiking boot that really looks nice. I'm waiting for the store near me to have them in stock...

Cory

Jane on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010795)

I recommend New Balance sneakers. I wear the cross trainers 585s and 606s and love them. I tried a pair of New Balance walkers (652s) but found them too 'mushy'. Different feet have different likes but I'm sure there's a New Balance for you!

roberta on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010805)

bastad clogs. So fashionable and pain free!!

Lou on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010807)

I just bought some Mephisto Sabatinas for the office and have been getting a lot of compliments. No one knows they're orthopedic! They feel good too, though if your ankles are weak they may not give you enough stability on the side, as they are open-heeled. Check out http://www.denvermephisto.com for the complete line, but if you can try them on in a store. I usually wear and 8.5 but needed a 10 in Mephisto. I will definitely be buying more Mephisto. They are expensive, but my feet don't care.

I also have some Rockports that are comfortable.

For casual wear, I wear nothing but Birkenstocks. They just aren't appropriate for professional wear.

iris on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010840)

hi,
since i have been visiting this board, i have purchased at least a thousand dollars worth of shoes. having just returned back to school, i have found that my dansko clogs with the back strap that can be rotated forward is the greatest choice for me. i treasure them!

Julie on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010858)

Iris,

Is the Dansko Clog with the adjustable strap the 'Ingrid'? Will be out shopping this wk. and would like to know which clog it is that you like the best. thanks.

Mary Lou M. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010920)

My problem started with too-flat golf shoes. I finally bought some Nike air golf shoes, and maybe, just maybe, in a few months I'll be able to get out of the cart and walk again. Birkenstocks give me too much arch support, which in my case makes the problem worse.