Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

picture

Posted by John on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010783)

it has been two weeks since my open surgery for PF and Tarsal Tunnel. I made a picture of my incision today (sort of sick). If any of you would like me to e-mail you what an incision for this surgery looks like just let me know. i sent the picture to scott if he cares to post it. gives you some sense of where the surgery is performed. no swelling or pain in that area yet. big test is monday when i go weight bearing

Re: picture

wendy2 on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010787)

Received picture of your foot today, technology is truly amazing isn't it? I now possess a picture of a foot, from a man who I have never seen, and never met. I know more about his foot than I do about the rest of him...really kind of weird isn't it?

It looks like a BIG incision, was it mostly for the TTS release? I would think that the PF work would all be on the bottom of your foot. It looks like it hurts.

john on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010800)

wemdy: about half that incision is for the tarsal tunnel.the surgeon explores the nerves all the way down to the bottom edge of the foot. the incision just barely wraps around the inside edge of the foot. really no pain associate with this portion of surgery. big toe is another matter it hurts. just a few days and i will put some weight on the foot & that will be the test. still have some swelling in my foot by mid day at which time i go home and ice it down. swelling will probably contine for some months from all i hear about foot surgery. birk sandals are all that makes sense for me to wear at this stage. the surgeon only released about 20% of the fascia and that is the portion that runs from big toe to heel.

wendy2 on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010808)

I had bunion surgery too when I was about 22. (I seem to recall this is what was on your big toe?) I don't recall the level of pain as compared to what I go through now, but I was known to say that I'd have to be crippled before I ever let anyone take a knife to my foot again. Guess since I can hardly walk anymore, I'll have to consider it again. Anyway...back on topic - the pain seemed to start to let up quite suddenly at about the 2 to 3 week mark. The swelling lasted at least 8 weeks (I got married at the 6 week mark in little old lady shoes..no offense to little old ladies) but I was able to down hill ski on my honeymoon in a bigger boot (no, it probably wasn't a good idea). Considering you've had a lot more worked on than just your big toe, I would think that the swelling may take a long time to go down. Sounds like you're being careful though, just don't get overconfident and go to polka night or anything.

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010916)

i asked the doctors nurse today now that i am off crutches what can i do in the way of exercises, walking, etc. she said if i can stand the pain do anythink i want. i am hopping on the life cycle this pm to get the old ticker going. am not sure how this will effect the foot but will know in a couple of hours.

wendy2 on 9/08/99 at 00:00 (010787)

Received picture of your foot today, technology is truly amazing isn't it? I now possess a picture of a foot, from a man who I have never seen, and never met. I know more about his foot than I do about the rest of him...really kind of weird isn't it?

It looks like a BIG incision, was it mostly for the TTS release? I would think that the PF work would all be on the bottom of your foot. It looks like it hurts.

john on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010800)

wemdy: about half that incision is for the tarsal tunnel.the surgeon explores the nerves all the way down to the bottom edge of the foot. the incision just barely wraps around the inside edge of the foot. really no pain associate with this portion of surgery. big toe is another matter it hurts. just a few days and i will put some weight on the foot & that will be the test. still have some swelling in my foot by mid day at which time i go home and ice it down. swelling will probably contine for some months from all i hear about foot surgery. birk sandals are all that makes sense for me to wear at this stage. the surgeon only released about 20% of the fascia and that is the portion that runs from big toe to heel.

wendy2 on 9/09/99 at 00:00 (010808)

I had bunion surgery too when I was about 22. (I seem to recall this is what was on your big toe?) I don't recall the level of pain as compared to what I go through now, but I was known to say that I'd have to be crippled before I ever let anyone take a knife to my foot again. Guess since I can hardly walk anymore, I'll have to consider it again. Anyway...back on topic - the pain seemed to start to let up quite suddenly at about the 2 to 3 week mark. The swelling lasted at least 8 weeks (I got married at the 6 week mark in little old lady shoes..no offense to little old ladies) but I was able to down hill ski on my honeymoon in a bigger boot (no, it probably wasn't a good idea). Considering you've had a lot more worked on than just your big toe, I would think that the swelling may take a long time to go down. Sounds like you're being careful though, just don't get overconfident and go to polka night or anything.

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010916)

i asked the doctors nurse today now that i am off crutches what can i do in the way of exercises, walking, etc. she said if i can stand the pain do anythink i want. i am hopping on the life cycle this pm to get the old ticker going. am not sure how this will effect the foot but will know in a couple of hours.