Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numbness and Tingling in Toe

Posted by Ann G. on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010837)

I had a partial release in March od 1999. Honestly, every day it gets a little better. I have been experiencing pain in my hips which I believe may be related to the way I walk and stand. I'm working on that. However, I have been experienceing a numbness and tingling in my third toe for a few days. It's the wierdest thing. Anyone else ever experience such a thing??

Re: Numbness and Tingling in Toe

Sandra Z on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010843)

I don't mean to alarm you, but when I had hip pain and numb toes, it meant I had a ruptured disk in my back! Don't assume these pains are related to your heel pain--it could be a back problem.

Nancy M on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010844)

Ann, from my experience the numbness and tingling could be a neuroma. I've had three removed. Neuromas are enlarged, benign growths of nerves, most commonly between the third and fourth toes. They are caused by bones and other tissue rubbing against and irritating the nerves, whose anatomy at that location is unusual. Abnormal bone
structure or pressure from ill-fitting shoes also can create the condition which ran result in pain, burning, tingling, or numbness
between the toes and in the ball of the foot. Conservative treatment can include orthotic devices and/or cortisone injections, but surgical removal of the growth is sometimes necessary. I've also had EPF done on both feet.
Nancy in AZ

Jane on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010884)

I was told my numbness and tingling was due to tarsal tunnel.

Sandra Z on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010843)

I don't mean to alarm you, but when I had hip pain and numb toes, it meant I had a ruptured disk in my back! Don't assume these pains are related to your heel pain--it could be a back problem.

Nancy M on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010844)

Ann, from my experience the numbness and tingling could be a neuroma. I've had three removed. Neuromas are enlarged, benign growths of nerves, most commonly between the third and fourth toes. They are caused by bones and other tissue rubbing against and irritating the nerves, whose anatomy at that location is unusual. Abnormal bone
structure or pressure from ill-fitting shoes also can create the condition which ran result in pain, burning, tingling, or numbness
between the toes and in the ball of the foot. Conservative treatment can include orthotic devices and/or cortisone injections, but surgical removal of the growth is sometimes necessary. I've also had EPF done on both feet.
Nancy in AZ

Jane on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010884)

I was told my numbness and tingling was due to tarsal tunnel.