Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain seems to be getting worse instead of better

Posted by Caryne W on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010856)

I'm not so sure I have P.F. Podiatrist says I have a severe case but I've done everything...stretching almost an hour a day, changed shoes, celebrex and it's getting WORSE instead of better. I teach and I'm thinking of staying home next week because at the end of the day my heel hurts so bad I can't walk at all. Could it be something else? I see Dr. again this week after a month of the above.

Re: Pain seems to be getting worse instead of better

Jane on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010883)

You still could have PF. It doesn't always respond to those treatments. However, something else could also have developed. My PF was getting worse and worse then a new painful 'twinge' developed and I found out from a bone scan that I had developed a stress fracture because I was walking 'funny' due to the PF pain! If you're still in pain, don't give up. I had to change doctors but I've finally found one who REALLY listens. Good Luck!

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010888)

Stretching an hour a day sounds like a lot to me.

I am one of the few people on this board NOT helped by stretching. So, I can suggest that you try different things. If you try one or two treatment approaches and they don't work or seem to worse your condition -- try something else. I used to stretched regularly -- and only made my pain worse. It took me several months of on and off to figure this out. Now I stretch only a tiny bit in the morning.

YokoS on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010910)

Have you ever taped your foot? Very difficult and waste a lot in the beginning. I studied how from this site, also copied (imitated) what
doc once did it for me. I am still struggling w/ tapes, but so far
feel better w/ tapes and ortho at the end of day. Because taping still takes time, I only tape my foot when I must stand up longer hours.

Margot on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010934)

I agree with Robin, stretching did little to alleviate my pain. It was worse when I went to physical therapy for it. I usually walked in and limped out..........had my second surgery for PF in July and I can truly say that this is the first time that I am 99% pain free(I also just stretch a little before I get out of bed in the am). Of course I haven't worked since April and all this rest, I feel; helped me tremendously and my ever understanding Husband massages my foot every night without fail. Try an Orthopedist also and get another opinion.
Good Luck to you......I've been where you are!!!!

Jane on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010883)

You still could have PF. It doesn't always respond to those treatments. However, something else could also have developed. My PF was getting worse and worse then a new painful 'twinge' developed and I found out from a bone scan that I had developed a stress fracture because I was walking 'funny' due to the PF pain! If you're still in pain, don't give up. I had to change doctors but I've finally found one who REALLY listens. Good Luck!

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010888)

Stretching an hour a day sounds like a lot to me.

I am one of the few people on this board NOT helped by stretching. So, I can suggest that you try different things. If you try one or two treatment approaches and they don't work or seem to worse your condition -- try something else. I used to stretched regularly -- and only made my pain worse. It took me several months of on and off to figure this out. Now I stretch only a tiny bit in the morning.

YokoS on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010910)

Have you ever taped your foot? Very difficult and waste a lot in the beginning. I studied how from this site, also copied (imitated) what
doc once did it for me. I am still struggling w/ tapes, but so far
feel better w/ tapes and ortho at the end of day. Because taping still takes time, I only tape my foot when I must stand up longer hours.

Margot on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010934)

I agree with Robin, stretching did little to alleviate my pain. It was worse when I went to physical therapy for it. I usually walked in and limped out..........had my second surgery for PF in July and I can truly say that this is the first time that I am 99% pain free(I also just stretch a little before I get out of bed in the am). Of course I haven't worked since April and all this rest, I feel; helped me tremendously and my ever understanding Husband massages my foot every night without fail. Try an Orthopedist also and get another opinion.
Good Luck to you......I've been where you are!!!!