Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

exercising

Posted by Judy T. on 9/11/99 at 00:00 (010871)

Am going to drag out my exercise bike as I can no longer stand the extra weight I have put on since acquiring P.F. What I need to know (and I can't seem to find this on previous message boards)....is there a certain way I am NOT suppose to bike? For example, do I use (or not use) my toes, heels??? The last thing I want to do is make this even worse..Thanks for any infor.

Re: exercising

Lee H on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010877)

My doctors suggestions for bike riding...Be sure the seat is positioned so that your legs do not straighten out completely, nor do your needs bend too much. The knees should be bent slightly when they straighten and this will avoid putting any excess pressure on the foot. The bike hasn't hurt my foot too much but it does somewhat bother the tendonitis in the back of my leg. Good luck.

Roberta on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010879)

I have never had any problems biking, even when my foot was really bad. If it does bother your foot try shoes with a firmer sole. Most cycling shoes have a completely solid sole that doesn't bend.

Also, be sure to stretch your hamstrings a lot. Biking will make them tighter which in turn could make your foot more sore.

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010887)

I use a stationary bike for exercise. Generally, I wear Reebok that have a strong arch support in them and the sole is pretty inflexible. Biking works best for me if my shoes doesn't flex. I wear Birkenstocks every other waking minute, which of course don't flex much and I have found the ticket for myself to be strong arch support and minor sole flexibility. This allows me to use almost any part of my foot on the pedals, since I don't really stretch my feet at all in the biking process.

Wendy W. on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010889)

Thanks for the hint on the hamstrings...hadn't thought of that and have been biking about 6 mi. every evening. Doesn't seem to bother the foot at all, but is no substitute for good long walks!

Lee H on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010877)

My doctors suggestions for bike riding...Be sure the seat is positioned so that your legs do not straighten out completely, nor do your needs bend too much. The knees should be bent slightly when they straighten and this will avoid putting any excess pressure on the foot. The bike hasn't hurt my foot too much but it does somewhat bother the tendonitis in the back of my leg. Good luck.

Roberta on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010879)

I have never had any problems biking, even when my foot was really bad. If it does bother your foot try shoes with a firmer sole. Most cycling shoes have a completely solid sole that doesn't bend.

Also, be sure to stretch your hamstrings a lot. Biking will make them tighter which in turn could make your foot more sore.

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010887)

I use a stationary bike for exercise. Generally, I wear Reebok that have a strong arch support in them and the sole is pretty inflexible. Biking works best for me if my shoes doesn't flex. I wear Birkenstocks every other waking minute, which of course don't flex much and I have found the ticket for myself to be strong arch support and minor sole flexibility. This allows me to use almost any part of my foot on the pedals, since I don't really stretch my feet at all in the biking process.

Wendy W. on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010889)

Thanks for the hint on the hamstrings...hadn't thought of that and have been biking about 6 mi. every evening. Doesn't seem to bother the foot at all, but is no substitute for good long walks!