Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is there a certain model Birkenstock I should try

Posted by Miller N on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010882)

Am looking to try the Birkenstock shoes hopefully
to help my 5 year PF. The sales person says all the
shoes have the same design for your foot. Is there
a particular model that is best for PF sufferers?
Thanks...

Re: Is there a certain model Birkenstock I should try

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010886)

It's true -- Birks pretty much have the same footbed, except for the Tatami line which has a higher arch and narrower toe area. What really differs is the top part of the shoe or sandal and how well that part fits your foot.

Most people start with the basic Arizona model. I did. Even though I now have 6 pairs of Birks in various styles -- Arizona is still my favorite and I am going to get at least one more pair.

Kara M on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010897)

Hi Miller,
A while back, I got the Derby model, I liked my sandals so much I wanted to get a birk that I could wear to work. The Derby is part of their footprints collection, it has more a a rubber sole, more bendable. My feet really hurt after wearing them, it's almost like they don't have as much support as their sandals. The footprints might work for others though, just not me.
Good Luck
Kara

Jenny Lewis on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010906)

Hi Miller

It's worth trying them on if you can (if by mail order you should be able to exchange them without difficulty). The footbed is identical but the styles make quite a difference, which surprised me. It's all a matter of personal taste.

I've also bought some Scholls sandals, which are fine for just pottering about and not trying to walk too much, not that any of us is about to walk too much, ha ha, but what I mean is, I can keep going for longer in the Birks. Much longer. Relatively speaking :-)

jl

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010915)

i saw some 'Airizona' birks in 'Just For Feet' for $59.00 this week. Just For Feet also carried the Birkenstock orthotic.

Judy T. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010924)

The Arizonia Birk is the one I purchased first back in May. They are great although with the colder weather coming up here (N.Y.), I will have to wear socks with them. It was not as difficult to get use to them as I thought. Good luck. Try to Arizonia first.

vickij on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010936)

'Florida' fit me best. It is almost identical to Arizona, but there are three narrower straps instead of two and they stay on my feet better than Florida did.
Good Luck and remember that it takes awhile for the cork to mold to your foot and become wonderfully supportive.

Susan L. on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010945)

Rolling the toe of new Birks helps them to fit faster. It will do the same thing with time, but why wait??? Plus it tells you to do it if you read their instruction booklet.

vickij on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010970)

you're right about the rolling of the toe...but because I have a very high arch (and many PF sufferers do) it takes a bit longer for the cork to conform to my arch...I'm told by Birk people that this is normal...if I didn't have an old pair, I wouldn't have spent all that money on a new winter pair because it doesn't fit my arch 'right out of the box'

Diane F. on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010977)

The footprint is diff. then the classics which the arizona is in. You need to go to a birkenstock store if one is within reach, at least the first time and try a few types on and see how they feel. If you can't try the arizona first and they don't work try the tatami, you might need the higher arc. Or they might not be for you , they don't work for everyone. Good luck!

Robin on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010886)

It's true -- Birks pretty much have the same footbed, except for the Tatami line which has a higher arch and narrower toe area. What really differs is the top part of the shoe or sandal and how well that part fits your foot.

Most people start with the basic Arizona model. I did. Even though I now have 6 pairs of Birks in various styles -- Arizona is still my favorite and I am going to get at least one more pair.

Kara M on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010897)

Hi Miller,
A while back, I got the Derby model, I liked my sandals so much I wanted to get a birk that I could wear to work. The Derby is part of their footprints collection, it has more a a rubber sole, more bendable. My feet really hurt after wearing them, it's almost like they don't have as much support as their sandals. The footprints might work for others though, just not me.
Good Luck
Kara

Jenny Lewis on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010906)

Hi Miller

It's worth trying them on if you can (if by mail order you should be able to exchange them without difficulty). The footbed is identical but the styles make quite a difference, which surprised me. It's all a matter of personal taste.

I've also bought some Scholls sandals, which are fine for just pottering about and not trying to walk too much, not that any of us is about to walk too much, ha ha, but what I mean is, I can keep going for longer in the Birks. Much longer. Relatively speaking :-)

jl

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010915)

i saw some 'Airizona' birks in 'Just For Feet' for $59.00 this week. Just For Feet also carried the Birkenstock orthotic.

Judy T. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010924)

The Arizonia Birk is the one I purchased first back in May. They are great although with the colder weather coming up here (N.Y.), I will have to wear socks with them. It was not as difficult to get use to them as I thought. Good luck. Try to Arizonia first.

vickij on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010936)

'Florida' fit me best. It is almost identical to Arizona, but there are three narrower straps instead of two and they stay on my feet better than Florida did.
Good Luck and remember that it takes awhile for the cork to mold to your foot and become wonderfully supportive.

Susan L. on 9/14/99 at 00:00 (010945)

Rolling the toe of new Birks helps them to fit faster. It will do the same thing with time, but why wait??? Plus it tells you to do it if you read their instruction booklet.

vickij on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010970)

you're right about the rolling of the toe...but because I have a very high arch (and many PF sufferers do) it takes a bit longer for the cork to conform to my arch...I'm told by Birk people that this is normal...if I didn't have an old pair, I wouldn't have spent all that money on a new winter pair because it doesn't fit my arch 'right out of the box'

Diane F. on 9/15/99 at 00:00 (010977)

The footprint is diff. then the classics which the arizona is in. You need to go to a birkenstock store if one is within reach, at least the first time and try a few types on and see how they feel. If you can't try the arizona first and they don't work try the tatami, you might need the higher arc. Or they might not be for you , they don't work for everyone. Good luck!