Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Day 18 after surgery

Posted by John on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010892)

it has been 18 days since my tarsal tunnel,PF release, and chelictomy on big toe. i was not supposed to do any weight bearing until tuesday. yesterday i could not stand it so i stood on my foot. just minor pain where the incision is where the fascia was released. i walked around the house up and down some stairs and today mowed the yard on my riding mower. i am amazed that i have been able to control the swelling and can get into any pair of shoes i own. i ice probably 1-2 hours a day, massage and flex my foot, bend the toe that was operated on 2-3 times a day as far back as i can tolerate. i also went to the health club and lifted weights (not standing) and stretched. i continue to take celebex, 3000mg vitamin C, 200mg vitamin B, a mega multi vitamin, and pray a little bit. at this point i do not feel the old fascia pain but soreness where the bone was removed on my toe and where the fascia was released. as i have posted the doctor released only about 20% of the fascia as is his custom. i am certainly not out of the woods but on day 18 after surgery when i am still supposed to be on crutches i am somewhat encouraged.

Re: Day 18 after surgery

John on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010893)

i forget to add that i lost 6 lbs while on my crutches for whatever reason. it was not planned so toady i orderd a giant pizza.

wendy2 on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010896)

Glad to hear you're doing so well, I hope your recovery continues the way it's been going. I have lost weight since my feet got really bad too. I think part of it is that if I'm in a lot of pain, it can upset my stomach. Most of the weight though (10 pounds), I believe I've actually lost in muscle mass. I used to be quite active, and I've been unable to even walk farther than a block or two slowly since May. I can actually see the difference now in my legs. I've kept at the deep water running and upper body weight training, but I hope I get better before I have little toothpicks left for legs.

I'm impressed that you can keep your swelling down already - thinking back, I don't believe I iced much following my bunion surgery. I know better now - ice is my best friend!!!

Did buy my first pair of Birkenstoks yesterday. I got the soft soled type because I have flat feet and the sales guy said they would be better to start with. I'm trying not to wear them too much, because he said they would take a while to get used to...but I think that maybe I've found a partial answer. The sandals of course don't put any pressure on the Tarsal Tunnel area, but still provide some support to the bottom of my foot. They also don't squeeze the bunions on my big and little toe. My foot feels pretty decent today, hopefully this is a sign that these shoes will be good for my feet!!!Until I found this board, I had no idea these funny little shoes even existed.

john a on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010909)

Which 'soft soled type' ? I didn't think there were any soft-soled Birks!

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010913)

i have seen some soft insole birks. my wife has some.

joh h on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010922)

i was in the birk store today and there are some birks who inserts are soft. the inserts look just like the typical sandal foot bed but the heel area is soft. i think it was one of the new 'foot print' shoes. go to http://www.birkenstock.com and check it out.

John on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010893)

i forget to add that i lost 6 lbs while on my crutches for whatever reason. it was not planned so toady i orderd a giant pizza.

wendy2 on 9/12/99 at 00:00 (010896)

Glad to hear you're doing so well, I hope your recovery continues the way it's been going. I have lost weight since my feet got really bad too. I think part of it is that if I'm in a lot of pain, it can upset my stomach. Most of the weight though (10 pounds), I believe I've actually lost in muscle mass. I used to be quite active, and I've been unable to even walk farther than a block or two slowly since May. I can actually see the difference now in my legs. I've kept at the deep water running and upper body weight training, but I hope I get better before I have little toothpicks left for legs.

I'm impressed that you can keep your swelling down already - thinking back, I don't believe I iced much following my bunion surgery. I know better now - ice is my best friend!!!

Did buy my first pair of Birkenstoks yesterday. I got the soft soled type because I have flat feet and the sales guy said they would be better to start with. I'm trying not to wear them too much, because he said they would take a while to get used to...but I think that maybe I've found a partial answer. The sandals of course don't put any pressure on the Tarsal Tunnel area, but still provide some support to the bottom of my foot. They also don't squeeze the bunions on my big and little toe. My foot feels pretty decent today, hopefully this is a sign that these shoes will be good for my feet!!!Until I found this board, I had no idea these funny little shoes even existed.

john a on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010909)

Which 'soft soled type' ? I didn't think there were any soft-soled Birks!

john h. on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010913)

i have seen some soft insole birks. my wife has some.

joh h on 9/13/99 at 00:00 (010922)

i was in the birk store today and there are some birks who inserts are soft. the inserts look just like the typical sandal foot bed but the heel area is soft. i think it was one of the new 'foot print' shoes. go to http://www.birkenstock.com and check it out.